VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Separation and Hope : part 14

Author:
tomboone
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:18:33 06/25/08 Wed
In reply to: tomboone 's message, "Separation and Hope : part 10 and 11" on 20:08:19 06/22/08 Sun

part fourteen

Saturday
12 Mar 2005
Burnett Residence
La Jolla, California

A few months later Harm had a big meeting in Washington. He decided he might as well stop in La Jolla to see Sarah and Veronica on the way. He missed them so much. He had to find a way to be with them.

When he returned to Hawaii, he swore to himself he would e-mail Sarah everyday and write at least one letter to her and Ronnie each week. Somehow he had managed to follow through on his lofty goal.

In one of his letters he explained his relationship with Cassandra. He also wrote to Sarah that they had broken up upon his return to Hawaii. Cassandra didn’t want any part of a man whose heart belonged to another woman.

To Sarah, it was like a healing tonic. Her heart once again was happy as Harm wrote to her everyday. Some days it was only a line or two, but to her it let her know Harm was thinking about her everyday.

She would read all the letters Harm sent to her to Ronnie to let her know Daddy was thinking of her. Sarah never saw Ronnie so happy. It made her even happier herself. Now how could they be together.

It was rumored that Chegwidden was stepping down soon to spend more time with his daughter. There was to be a dining out party for him. All senior JAG officers O-5 and above were expected to attend.

Harm walked in the front door. He wanted to surprise Sarah and Ronnie, but he should have known better. No sooner than he had taken several steps into the foyer, Ronnie came charging into the room at warp speed.

Harm barely had time to put his bags down to meet the little torrent.

“Daddy! What are you doing here? Mommy didn’t say you were coming.” questioned Veronica with her little arms still wrapped around his neck.

“I wanted to surprise you sweetie. Where is your mother?” replied Harm.

“She’s working Daddy. How long are you staying Daddy?” asked Veronica.

“I can only stay for a couple of days. I have a meeting in Washington DC.” replied Harm as he noticed the look of disappointment on Ronnie’s face.

“I believe your mother is going there too. I was hoping to talk to her about you going with us.” smiled Harm. Ronnie’s face lit up with a smile just like the one he had seen on Sarah when she was very happy.

Harm still had difficulty believing Ronnie was his little girl. She looked so much like her mother. Sarah has done a wonderful job raising her. He knew she would be a great mother. Ronnie confirmed it.

“I’m going to go to Washington DC with you and Mommy?” Veronica asked looking for confirmation.

“I have to talk to her first sweetie. We need to keep it a secret until then, okay.” smiled Harm.

“Okay.” replied Veronica as she gave him another hug.

Later that night Sarah returned home. She was greeted by Ronnie as usual.

“Mommy! Mommy! Daddy is here!” chirped Veronica excitedly.

“Harm is here? I wonder why he’s here. He didn’t tell me he was coming.” replied Sarah a little puzzled.

“He’s taking us to Washington DC. We’re dining out with the Admiral.” answered Veronica.

“Hymm ..... I suppose you weren’t suppose to tell me huh?” asked Sarah. A look of disappointment came across Veronica’s face.

“It’s alright sweetie. I know you’re just excited that your father is here. Did you and your father spend some time together?” asked Sarah. Ronnie quickly pert up.

“Yes Mommy. We played games and read a couple of books. Grammy gave us fresh baked cookies.” smiled Ronnie.

“Did your father eat them all or did he save some for me?” asked Sarah smiling.

“Yes Mommy, a whole bunch. Daddy said you always need to have cookies around to feed a hungry Marine.” chirped Ronnie. Sarah laughed.

Tuesday
15 Mar 2005
JAG Headquarters

A couple of days later Harm and Sarah were on their way to Washington DC. They had decided to take Ronnie with them. They wanted to spend more time together as a family. It had been hard on Ronnie not to have her father around.

This was a chance for her to spend more time with him. It also was an opportunity for Harm to spend time with her. He had missed so much of her life already. As she always knew, Harm was a great father. He and Ronnie loved each other so much.

Sarah knew it was time to talk with Harm. It was time that they were together so Ronnie could have them both in her life everyday. They would have to talk to the new JAG about being assigned together.

If that wasn’t feasible then they would have to talk about the possibility of one or both of them leaving the service. It wasn’t something she wanted to think about, but she knew it was time for them to be together as a family, not some time in the future.

One of the things Sarah did before leaving for Washington DC was to call Harriet. Bud and she were still assigned to JAG Headquarters in DC. Sarah wanted to arrange with Harriet to visit with them before reporting to Headquarters for the meeting of all Senior lawyers.

When Harm and Sarah finally reached Headquarters they paused outside the building. It had been nearly six years that they both were here together. The building was still impressive looking to them.

It felt like they were finally home. Sarah looked down at Ronnie. “This is where Mommy and Daddy used to work together. Maybe we will be able to work here together again.” smiled Sarah. She bent down to hug her.

Harm and Sarah each took one of Ronnie’s hand and went inside up to the bullpen. It was a slow ride up in the elevator. They were both nervous. It had been so many years since they were last here. How many of their old friends would still be here?

They walked slowly into the bullpen looking around. The paint looked different, but everything else appeared to be the same. Finally they were spotted by Harriet who let out a little shriek when she saw them.

Harriet hurried over to them quickly as everyone looked on wondering what was wrong with the ditzy blond. Without Sarah's guidance Harriet never came into her own. Harm and Sarah's replacements had always treated her as if she didn’t belong.

This had led her to suffering very low self esteem for the last five years. Even Bud had struggled to find himself without the encouragement from Harm and Sarah. The senior officers always chipped away at him treating him like he wasn’t good enough to be at Headquarters.

“Ma’am! Sir! It’s so good to see you! Who is this beautiful little girl?” chirped Harriet excitedly.

“Hi Harriet, it’s good to see you again. This is my little girl, Ronnie.” smiled Sarah.

“Hey! She’s my little girl too.” added Harm.

“Does that mean you two got married Ma’am?” asked Harriet excitedly. She had hoped that one good thing came out of missing her best friend the last five and a half years.

“No Harriet, Harm and I aren’t married. I hadn’t seen Harm in five years. He finally came back into my life last December. He was a Christmas present to Ronnie and me. He also gave me another present.” smiled Sarah as she rubbed her stomach.

Before Harriet had a chance to say anything Harm turned Sarah around to face him.

“You’re pregnant Sarah?” asked a shocked Harm. She nodded her head.

“You’re a perfect two for two. I guess my eggs like your little fellows.” smiled Sarah.

“That’s wonderful Ma’am, Sir. You have to come to our house for dinner. Bud will be so happy to see you. He’s in Norfolk this morning. AJ misses you and you’ll get to see my little girl Sarah, she’s three.” beamed Harriet.

For the first time in many years she was actually happy. Her friends had returned, hopefully they would be staying. She could only hope and pray.

Harm and Sarah went into the break room to get some coffee and a cup of juice for Ronnie. They were surprised to see that it didn’t look any different than the last time they were here together.

Before they could comment on that fact, the Admiral and Harm’s old friend Sturgis Turner walked in. Sturgis was pleased to see Harm, but was shocked to see Sarah. He thought she was Diane, but Diane was dead.

The Admiral first gave them a look of consternation before smiling. It was good to see them both together again. He had missed them both. They were the best. They got things done. The truth always came out. But more important they made his life more interesting.

“So I see you found her again.” smiled the Admiral as he shook Harm and Sarah’s hand.

“It’s good to see you both again before I retire. Who is this beautiful young lady?” smiled the Admiral.

“My name is Veronica. This is my Mommy and Daddy.” beamed Ronnie as she shook the Admiral’s hand.

“You must be the Admiral.” smiled Ronnie.

“Yes I am. How did you know that?” smiled the Admiral.

“You look old and you have a lot of stripes on your sleeve. But you don’t look grouchy like Daddy said.” answered Ronnie.

Everyone laughed, but Harm hid his face. The things little kids say. He had finally gotten out of the doghouse, now he might be back in it.

“Yep, you must be Rabb’s kid.” smiled the Admiral before asking “I didn’t know that you two had gotten married and had a child. In fact I thought you two weren’t speaking to each other.” He was puzzled.

“You weren’t mistaken Sir. Harm and I hadn’t seen each other since he left here almost six years ago. Last Christmas we finally got together for two weeks at his mother’s house. We met up again a couple of days ago.” replied Sarah.

“That doesn’t explained the your having a child together.” replied the Admiral in a tone more serious.

“True, but I think you now understand why I left.” rebutted Sarah. The Admiral nodded his head in agreement.

He knew something big must have happened between the two, now he knew. Meanwhile Sturgis was still confused. He continued to stare at Sarah in disbelief.

“What’s wrong old Buddy?” Harm asked Sturgis.

“I thought you wrote to me saying that Diane was dead.” replied Sturgis.

“She is Sturgis. This is Sarah MacKenzie. I met her a few months after Diane died. And yes, she knows about Diane.” explained Harm.

Sturgis and Sarah exchanged greeting before Sarah turned to the Admiral again.

“Sir, Harm and I need to ask you a favor. As you can see Harm and I have a child. I just told Harriet earlier that we are expecting another child in six months.” began Sarah.

“That’s wonderful Colonel. I’m sure you’re both very happy.” smiled the Admiral.

“We are Sir. But what I need to ask you before you retire is, can you find a way for Harm and I to be stationed together. Harm has already missed first five years of Ronnie’s life.

I don’t want him to miss anymore of her life. I also don’t want him to miss any time with the new baby. We have been apart way too long. It’s time for us to be together.” pleaded Sarah.

“I don’t know what I can do. I only have a couple of more days left until I retire. It’s really up to the new JAG.” replied the Admiral.

“But you can talk to him Sir. Explain our situation. If anyone can do it, it’s you Sir.” pleaded Sarah.

“I can talk to him. I know he wants to bring in more senior staff here to Washington. It might be possible.” smiled the Admiral.

“Thank you Sir. If you can’t get the job done we might have to resign to be together.” wailed Sarah.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Separation and Hope : part 15tomboone12:14:05 06/26/08 Thu

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.