VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: Pride : part 26

Author:
rooster
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:46:39 03/22/08 Sat

Pride
rooster
Alternative Universe
Summary: Harm and Mac act out Pride and Prejudice
Disclaimer: see prologue

Author's note 1: sorry for the delay, I have had problems connecting to the internet the past week.

Author's note 2: this part is not included in the book, which is surprising since these two characters are important to the original story.

I added this chapter because Mama would want to be a part of this process as evident when Mattie/Lydia got married in the book and movie.

part 26

Tuesday
20 October
The Golden Spindle
dress shop
London

Over the next several months Jack spent most of his time at Netherfield. He kept his trips into town to once or twice a week and usually returned back to Netherfield each night. Occasionally he had to stay in town, but it usually wasn’t for more than one night.

He spent a lot of time with Jordan. He would meet up with her in the morning and they would either walk into town or take a carriage ride in the country. Their love for each other grew every day.

Mrs. Mackenzie was over joy with the upcoming nuptials. She hadn’t been able to be involved with Mattie’s wedding so she spared no expense or time in helping Jordan. It was the most quality time they spent together since ..... well she couldn’t remember the last time.

Not that it was her mother’s fault per se, but when you’re the oldest of five, your need for your mother’s attention isn’t quite the same as siblings who are six or eight years younger who can’t do the things you can do.

They went to the dress shops in Meryton and in town to look at the different wedding gowns. Mr. Keeter offered to share in any of the expenses, especially the wedding gown, which could be very expensive.

While Jordan and Mrs. Mackenzie accepted Mr. Keeter’s generosity, they drew the line that he couldn’t see Jordan in the wedding gown or the gown itself until Jordan walked down the aisle of the Longbourn Chapel.

“What do you think about this one Mama?” asked Jordan as she came out of the dressing room wearing one of the gowns.

“It’s beautiful, you look so beautiful Jordan. I think this is the right one for you.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie. She could believe how beautiful her eldest girl look.

“You think he will like it Mama?” asked Jordan. She had tried on many gowns. She did like this one the best.

“It’s you he will love sweetie, but I think he will love seeing you in this gown.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Thank you Mama for helping me. It’s been a long time since we have done anything together, just you and me.” smiled Jordan.

“You and your sister Sarah grew up so fast. I couldn’t keep up with you and I think you didn’t need me as much as Chloe and Mattie did.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Are you happy Mama?” asked Jordan. In a few weeks she would be marrying Mr. Keeter. She would be leaving home for good. Her mother wouldn’t be seeing her every day.

“What’s the matter with you sweetie? Of course I’m happy. You’re going to marry Mr. Keeter soon. Sarah is going to marry Mr. Darcy. They are both good young men who love you and your sister very much.

They will take very good care of you and Sarah. You both are going to have a wonderful life. I don’t think I have been this happy since Mattie was born.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

“I love you Mama.” smiled Jordan.

“I love you too baby.” wailed Mrs. Mackenzie. “What do you say we go and visited your aunt while we’re in town. I’m sure she would love to see your gown.”

Before they left the shop to visit Aunt Marie, Mrs. Mackenzie set aside a few gowns she thought Sarah would like. It wasn’t hard to shop for Jordan. She was very beautiful and elegant. Her tastes always reflected that whenever she went shopping.

Jordan wasn’t someone who was into having a lot of dresses, but the ones she did have showed refinement and taste. Sarah on the other hand was harder to shop for. Her tastes weren’t necessary as refined and elegant as Jordan’s, though the gowns she bought were usually quite beautiful.

Maybe it had something to do with Sarah’s proclivity for being outdoors. Or maybe it was because she didn’t think she was as beautiful and elegant as her sister. Sarah had always been a little contrary to her.

Burnett Residence
Grace Church Street

An hour later they were at Grace Church Street. Aunt Marie was happy to see them and welcomed them into her home. She was a little disappointed that they hadn’t included her when they had gone shopping for Jordan’s gown.

They were a little surprised to see Allison and Louisa there. It seemed that since finding out that their parents had been good friends with the Burnetts many years ago, they had been drawn to them. They visited with them regularly.

They were interested in knowing what their parents had been like when they were younger. The Burnetts had many stories to tell them including some stories of Allison and Louisa as small children.

“Allison, Louisa, what are you doing here?” asked Jordan a bit surprised.

“Brother Jack told us you and your mother would be in town today shopping for your gown. We couldn’t wait to see it. And we have become closer to your aunt since last summer when we met her at Pemberly.

She knew our mother pretty well. We missed her since she died a few years ago. It’s nice to talk to someone who knew her.” replied Allison.

“Come on Jordan, let’s see the gown. Can you model it for us? I’m sure your aunt would like to see it too.” pleaded Louisa(Mrs. Boone).

“Alright Allison, if you come with me. I don’t think I can do it all by myself.” smiled Jordan. She was happy to know that whatever reservations Allison had about her last year, they were gone now. She really did like her.

“I wished I had known you were coming to town sister, I would have liked to have gone with you while you were looking at gowns for Jordan.” sighed Mrs. Burnett.

“I know, but it was something I needed to do alone with her. It has been a long time since we spent quality time together alone. The younger girls have demanded so much of my attention for a long time. Jordan and Sarah have been quite independent for a long time.

They don’t seem to need me very often even though at times they do seek my approval. I think it’s to placate me. We had a lot of fun. Jordan must have tried on twenty gowns before settling on the one she chose. I knew she would like it.

It was one of the ones I had picked out for her. It is very elegant and refine. She has had such elegant taste since she was seven years old. I never understood it, but Mr. Mackenzie says she has a very old soul.” smiled Mrs. Mackenzie.

“How true you are, it’s one of the first things I noticed about her. It’s one of the things I talked to Sarah about when she was staying at Netherfield. We were tormenting Mr. Darcy when Jack said something about accomplished women.

Allison mentioned something about how a woman dressed, how she carried herself, and how she walked. It’s what truly makes a woman very beautiful. It’s something that Jordan has and why she is very special.” replied Louisa.

“Thank you Louisa. I think it’s something you’re either born with or not. As hard as I have tried with Chloe and Mattie, they don’t seem to understand that.

Jennifer has come a long way this year. She has learned to carry herself very well. She seems to have blossomed and become beautiful overnight.” smiled Mrs. Mackenzie.

A few minutes later Allison walked into the room with a big smile on her face. She had seen the wedding gown and was taken with envy. It was very beautiful and elegant.

“You’re in for a treat sister. The gown is so beautiful. I’m so envious of Jordan. I wish I was the one getting married.” wailed Allison.

“Your day will come sister.” replied Louisa.

Jordan walked into the room where her mother, her aunt, Allison, and Louisa were sitting. She had a nervous smile on her face as she waited with anticipation of what they all thought. What she saw was happiness on all their faces.

“You look beautiful Jordan. Your mother was right, the gown is very beautiful. You look beautiful.” smiled Aunt Marie as she held her hands to her face.

“Jack is going to love you in that gown Jordan. It’s beautiful and elegant. It’s perfect Jordan, you have excellent taste.” smiled Louisa.

“Mama picked it out for me, she thought it would be something I would like.” explained Jordan giving praise where it was due.

“You have excellent taste Mrs. Mackenzie.” praised Allison begrudgingly.

“I have watched Jordan choose her own clothes since she was seven. She has always had excellent taste. It’s not hard to know after sixteen years what she might be looking for.

Sarah on the other hand is more difficult. Her choice in outfits has always depended upon her moods. One can tell what her mood is by the clothes she’s wearing.” sighed Mrs. Mackenzie.

“What did I tell you sister, you noticed the difference between what she wore when she came to see Jordan last year when she was sick and what she wore latter when she was flirting with Mr. Darcy.” smiled Allison.

“I think you had a hand in that sister when you asked her to help you in teasing him. Maybe he noticed the difference in her appearances too. He did dance with her every night while she stayed with us.” laughed Louisa.

“What are you talking about?” asked Aunt Marie.

“Well, Sarah came over to Netherfield last year after Jordan got sick. She said she wanted to tend to her sister, which I supposed was true to some extent, but we believed she was really there to see Mr. Darcy everyday so that she could make an impression on him. She wanted him to get to know her and like her.” smiled Allison.

“I guess it must have worked since they are getting married.” Aunt Marie agreed.

“Nonsense, she didn’t like him and he didn’t like her.” argued Mrs. Mackenzie.

“That’s not exactly true Ma’am. Mr. Darcy was smitten with Sarah from the beginning. We used to ask him almost everyday when he was going to ask Sarah to marry him. Why do you think he danced with her all night at the Ball?

He was in love with her, but didn’t want to admit it to anyone, not even to Sarah. It’s why he ran when Sarah told you he was courting her. While he was in love with her, he didn’t think she felt the same way about him.

He did go back to her that night to spend more time with her. But he wasn’t ready to get married then. He was ready when he went to Rosings to see her. He thought Sarah liked him, maybe even loved him. It’s why he asked her last April.” explained Allison.

Mrs. Mackenzie didn’t know what to think. She was confused. She had always thought she knew Sarah very well. She thought she would know when Sarah fell in love. Guess she was wrong about that.

The next major decision to make was where they wanted to hold the reception after the ceremony. Longbourn was the obvious choice since it was only a few hundred feet away from the church, but it was much too small to hold everyone they expected to invite.

There was always the Assembly Hall in Meryton, but it didn’t seem special or grand enough. They finally decided to have the reception at Netherfield. Mr. Keeter would hire extra carriages to transport anyone in need of transportation.

Meanwhile Sarah and Mr. Darcy were getting to know each other better. Though he spent more time in town than Mr. Keeter, he made an effort not to be gone for more than a couple of days at a time.

With their upcoming Christmas wedding, Mr. Darcy was trying to make his business interests in town be more self sufficient. After he and Sarah get marry, they would be living at Pemberly. She had expressed the desire of never leaving.

While he understood her desire to live at Pemberly, he knew there would be times when she would want to see her family. They would need to visit Longbourn. He had promised her he would never be gone for more than a few days.

Therefore his business interests needed to be able to run by themselves for extended periods of time without his direct supervision.

And then there was her secret desire to see Europe. They would be away from Pemberly for many months. He wanted to make sure his business interests wouldn’t suffer in his absence.

Tuesday
3 November
The Golden Spindle
dress shop
London

A couple of weeks later Mrs. Mackenzie was in town again. This time she was with Sarah. They had checked out the different dress shops in Meryton. While there were a few decent gowns, none of them said anything to Sarah.

They didn’t say ‘look at me, I’m beautiful, I’m happy.’ They might have been okay last year before she met Mr. Darcy, but not now. The gown had to be special. It had to say ‘I’m in love, I’m happy.’

“There’s nothing here Mama. Nothing looks like it was made for me.” whined Sarah.

“That’s okay Sarah, I know a few shops in town. I just thought we should check the shops here first. I set aside a few gowns at the shop we found Jordan’s gown. I think you’ll like them.” consoled Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Are they like Jordan’s?” asked Sarah.

“She looked at them, but they weren’t exactly what she was looking for. I do think they say Sarah Mackenzie.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

A few hours later they were at the Golden Spindle dress shop. They went inside and Mrs. Mackenzie asked the clerk to get the gowns she had set aside. Sarah examined the three gowns and liked what she saw. She took them into the changing room.

She tried each one on and showed her mother. She liked all three, but she wondered which one looked best.

“What do you think Mama?” asked Sarah.

“You look beautiful in each one of them Sarah. I’m not sure which one of them is you. Which one of them do you like?” asked Mrs. Mackenzie.

“I kind of like this one the best.” replied Sarah.

“You should look around Sarah, you might find one you like better.” directed Mrs. Mackenzie.

“I don’t have to Mama. I love the ones you chose, they are perfect.” replied Sarah.

“Then we should let the clerk know which one you want. Mr. Darcy will be by later to pay for it. Do you want to see your aunt?” she asked Sarah.

“Yes Mama and thank you. It was so nice to spend the day with you. I miss spending alone time with you.” smiled Sarah as she gave her mother a long hug.

Burnett Residence
Grace Church Street

An hour later they were at the Burnett residence. Sarah was quite happy with her choice of a gown, she wanted to show it to Aunt Marie. She was surprised to see Allison and Louisa there.

“Aunt Marie, it’s so nice to see you again. I have missed you.” greeted Sarah as she gave her aunt a hug.

“You look so happy Sarah, what have you been up to.” asked Aunt Marie.

“Mama and I have been shopping for my wedding gown. It’s so beautiful.” smiled Sarah.

“I thought you were going to take me with you Sarah when you went looking for a gown.” Aunt Marie feigned a pout.

“I’m sorry, but it’s not very often that I get Mama all to myself. We had a good time together.” smiled Sarah as she saw Allison for the first time.

“I’m surprise to see you her Allison, did your driver get lost?” asked Sarah.

“Louisa and I have been visiting your aunt every few weeks since we returned from Pemberly this summer. She’s a remarkable lady. I can see why you love her so much.” explained Allison.

“We saw Mr. Darcy yesterday, he said you would be in town today though he didn’t say why. Can we see your gown Sarah?” asked Louisa.

“I suppose if Allison helps me. It takes at least two people to put one of these things on.” replied Sarah.

Sarah and Allison went into one of the other rooms to change. Aunt Marie was curious as to where they found the gown.

“So did you have a nice day with Sarah? Which shop did you find the gown?” asked Aunt Marie.

“It was very nice. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed spending time with Sarah. Usually one of the younger girls would interrupt us when we’re at home. We picked up the gown at the same shop that Jordan found hers.

It didn’t take Sarah too long to find the one she liked. Her taste is so much different than Jordan, but the gown is very beautiful.” smiled Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Was it one of the gowns you set aside for her a couple of weeks ago?” asked Aunt Marie.

“I’ll let Sarah tell you about the gown sister. It’s her day to be happy.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

It wasn’t long before Allison came back into the room followed by Sarah.

“You look beautiful Sarah.” smiled Aunt Marie.

“That gown is you Sarah, I’m so jealous. I wish I was the one who was getting married.” whined Allison.

“You like it? I wanted something that said I was in love and very happy.” replied Sarah.

“It’s perfect Sarah. I understand why your mother told us a few weeks ago that you and Jordan needed something quite different in wedding gowns. This gown wouldn’t be right for Jordan, but it is perfect for you. You have excellent taste Sarah.” smiled Louisa.

“Mama picked it out for me when she was shopping with Jordan. I love it.” smiled Sarah.

“She has excellent taste Sarah.” offered Allison showing her that she didn’t dislike her mother.

“Do you think Mr. Darcy will like it?” asked Sarah a bit uneasy.

“It’s you he loves Sarah, he’ll love anything you wear, but yes, he’ll think you look beautiful.” smiled Aunt Marie.

“Are you going to call him Mr. Darcy after you’re married Sarah?” asked Allison with a smile.

“I don’t know, he doesn’t like to be called by his first name. I’m sure we’ll work something out.” replied Sarah. She really didn’t know the answer. She hadn’t even thought much about what she would call him. She would have to give it some thought.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Lovely part, can't wait to read more. But is this part 25 or 26. We had 23, then 25 (but inside the message said 24), now we have 26 inside and out. (NT)Sophie17:50:21 03/24/08 Mon

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.