VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: Pride : part 25

Author:
rooster
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:13:14 03/27/08 Thu

Pride
rooster
Alternative Universe
Summary: Harm and Mac act out Pride and Prejudice
Disclaimer: see prologue

Author's note: Sorry about posting the wrong part, like I said I have had computer problems this month. I'm glad you let me know I miss a chapter. Here is part 25

remember all parts in the future are my version of the story they are not in the book or the movie.

part twenty five Search for Answers

Sunday
early evening
Pemberly

Later that evening Darcy and Sarah went for a walk. Darcy was hoping to talk to Sarah about the possibility of getting married. He didn’t just want to blurt it out like he had last spring. He wanted to get a feel about how she felt about the prospect.

He knew she wasn’t ready to get marry a few weeks ago. She had told him about her concerns. She liked the man he was here at Pemberly, the man who he should be, but she wondered if he would regress back to the man that she didn’t like.

He had assured her that she had been right about his behavior last year and that he hoped that he would never behave that way again. He also tried to reassure her that he would always be there for her. He wouldn’t disappear for months on end.

They hadn’t walked very far before he could sense that there was something wrong. He didn’t know what it was, but he wanted to find out what it was and fix it if he could.

“What’s the matter Ms Sarah? You seem to be preoccupied. Aren’t you enjoying your time here at Pemberly?” asked Harm showing concern. He hoped to show her that he was perceptive to her moods.

“You know I like being here. It’s so beautiful.” sighed Sarah. There was no other place she would rather be.

“Did something happen during your walk this afternoon? Was your mother behaving herself?” teased Harm.

“Mr. Darcy! My mother is a lady. She learned last year not to cross you.” replied Sarah showing displeasure.

“Then what’s wrong?” Harmed asked.

“It concerns the reason why you invited us here. Everyone believes that you are going to announce our engagement during our visit.” replied Sarah.

“Would that be so bad Sarah?” he asked again hoping that Sarah wasn’t opposed to the idea.

“It has been only a few weeks since we agreed to see each other in such a manner. I wasn’t expecting to be discussing this again so soon.” wailed Sarah

“Even if I was to ask you and you said yes, it doesn’t mean we have to get married tomorrow. Some people actually have long engagements lasting a year or two.” reasoned Harm.

“I would never do that to you.” replied Sarah.

“You know my original intent of inviting your family here was to reciprocate the hospitality your family has shown me. I had dinner at your house quite a few times last year when I accompanied Jack when he came to see your sister.” Harm began to explain.

“We both know the real reason why you came to Longbourn.” smiled Sarah for the first time.

“Yes Ms Sarah, you were the reason why I came to Longbourn with Jack, I confess. But as you also know I attended many social dinners last year. Many people opened their homes to me and I didn’t reciprocate. It was a faux pas on my part.

I wanted to show your family that I wasn’t really a bad person, that I was a gentleman of good breeding. Michaelmas seemed to be a good time to do it. I also wanted to show your father what kind of life I had to offer you Sarah.

I know you are his favorite daughter so I needed to show him what a special life I could offer you so he would give his blessing for me to marry you.” explained Harm.

“You didn’t?” asked Sarah. All her fears were coming true.

“I asked your father for his blessing today, though I didn’t say anything about asking you tonight.” replied Harm as he began to realize that it might be too soon to be asking her to marry him.

“You asked my father? When? Who else was there?” asked Sarah fearing the worse.

“This afternoon when we went fishing.” replied Harm.

“So everybody knows about your intentions to ask me to marry you?” moaned Sarah. Why couldn’t he have talked to her first? Why did everyone have to know about his proposal before she did?

“I thought it was the right thing to do. I know how important your family is to you. I thought it was right to get your family’s approval. I’m sorry if I erred. I love you Sarah. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” Harm replied.

“I know you do and I understand that, it’s just ..... it would have been nice to know about your plans before everyone else did.” replied Sarah glumly.

“So if I ask you to marry me, you would welcome the question?” asked Harm hoping that he had read her right.

“Yes.” replied Sarah.

“Ms Sarah Mackenzie, would you do me the honor of accepting my hand in marriage?” asked Harm as he got down on one knee.

“Yes, I’ll marry you Mr. Darcy.” answered Sarah. She had told Allison that she would say yes if he asked her.

“Is there any particular date that you would like to get married Ms Sarah?” asked Harm hoping that he wouldn’t have to wait too long.

“Would a Christmas wedding be too long for you to wait?” asked Sarah.

“I would wait an eternity to marry you as long as I knew you loved me.” replied Harm.

“I love you too Mr. Darcy.” replied Sarah as they shared a kiss for the first time.

Meanwhile in the parlor the adults and Sarah’s sisters were having polite conversation and listening to Georgiana playing the piano forte. Jennifer wasn’t too far away as she couldn’t believe how beautiful Georgiana played.

She was interested in observing what were the differences in their techniques that allowed Georgiana to be so good. She also wanted to talk to her about how Georgiana played in hopes of learning better practice techniques.

“I have some interesting news for you Mrs. Mackenzie.” began Mr. Mackenzie.

Mrs. Mackenzie was in a near dreamlike state as she listened to Georgiana’s playing. Sarah had been right about her, she was very good. She didn’t have the best ear for music, but she knew Georgiana’s playing was special.

Jordan played the piano the best of her daughters, but she wasn’t anywhere near as good as Georgiana. Jennifer, despite her efforts, wasn’t very good, but she tried.

“What is it dear? My nerves are completely at rest right now.” asked Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Mr. Darcy came to see me today.” said Mr. Mackenzie.

The ears of Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Burnett, Mrs. Boones, Allison, and Jordan perked up upon hearing that Mr. Darcy had a talk with Mr. Mackenzie early today. Was Mr. Darcy going to ask Sarah to marry him today?

“That’s nice.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

“He came to see me about your daughter.” smiled Mr. Mackenzie as he tried to get his wife engaged in a conversation.

“Which one?” she asked. She was too relaxed to be thinking right now.

“You know the one.” replied Mr. Mackenzie.

“Sarah? Why did he want to talk to you about Sarah?” asked Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Why does any young man want to talk to a young woman’s father?” answered Mr. Mackenzie.

“How would I know? I am not a young man. Why are you trying to vex me?” asked Mrs. Mackenzie.

“It appears that Mr. Darcy has fallen in love with Sarah. It seems that he wants to marry her.” stated Mr. Mackenzie.

“So it has been rumored. Sister Burnett thinks it’s the reason why we are here. Ms Keeter and Jordan believe that is the reason too. They think Mr. Darcy loves Sarah and that they will announce their engagement tonight.

But Sarah told me that it wasn’t true. She told me Mr. Darcy only wants to reciprocate the hospitality that was shown to him while he was in Hertfordshire. He is a man of good breeding.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

“While that might have been his original intent dear, he has since asked me for my permission and blessing to marry Sarah.” informed Mr. Mackenzie.

“My brother and Ms Sarah are getting married! That’s wonderful!” squealed Georgiana as she jumped for joy. She had finished playing and had wanted to be a part of the group.

“That has yet to be determine.” replied Mrs. Mackenzie.

“If it’s not tonight, it will be soon. Sarah has told me that she will say yes when Mr. Darcy asks her.” smiled Allison.

Smiles came across everyone’s faces upon hearing that piece of news. They were all happy for Sarah. Everyone thought they made a fine looking couple. Though Mrs. Mackenzie was still confused about how it had all happen.

“I don’t understand. Sarah has said she didn’t like him since the first time she met him. What happened to change all that?” asked Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Three little words my dear. He told her he loved her last spring.” replied Mr. Mackenzie to everyone’s surprise.

“Then why was she so melancholy last spring before she went on her trip with my brother and sister?” asked Mrs. Mackenzie.

“Because she wasn’t ready to be in love dear nor was she ready to get married.” explained Mr. Mackenzie.

“You mean?”

“Yes, Mr. Darcy had asked her to marry him last spring. She told him no. I guess she didn’t understand what being in love was all about.” replied Mr. Mackenzie.

“I think she was confused sister. This summer when I wanted to come here to Pemberly, she resisted. She said she didn’t want to see him, but when she did see him, it was like seeing two people in love. They spent a lot of time together talking.” offered Mrs. Burnett.

“They have been together for the last month. Mr. Darcy has been seeing her almost every day. They meet Mr. Keeter and I in Meryton for tea and cake.” added Jordan.

“By the way sister to be, when are you and Jack getting married?” asked Allison putting Jordan on the spot.

“The twenty third of November, it’s a couple days earlier than the ball that was held last year at Netherfield, but we wanted to get married on a Sunday.” replied Jordan to her mother’s pleasure.

She knew they were getting married, but they hadn’t told her a date. She was so happy that she almost forgot about Sarah and Mr. Darcy. She still had reservations about him, but she was happy to know her daughter was going to be well taken care of.

A short while later Sarah and Mr. Darcy walked in the room where everyone else was. All the young ladies had taken turns at the piano forte to exhibit their skills and to just have fun.

Sarah was pleased to see that everyone was happy, that is until they turned their attention to her and Mr. Darcy. It was if they were expecting something. She wondered why she couldn’t take a walk with him without unrealistic expectations from everyone.

“Where have the two you been?” asked Allison in a scolding manner before she broke out into a smile. She thought they had gone somewhere private to talk about getting married.

“We went for a walk.” replied Sarah not offering any additional information.

“What did you talk about?” asked Jordan. She wanted Sarah to be as happy as she was.

“I told Mr. Darcy how happy all of you are about being here at Pemberly. That you all agree that Pemberly is beautiful.” replied Sarah.

“There must have been something else you talked about.” pleaded Allison.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” replied Sarah.

“We want to know if we’re going to hear the wedding bells at the Longbourn chapel.” Mrs. Boone declared. She felt like screaming at Sarah for being so obtuse.

“I told you all earlier today that the reason we are all here at Pemberly was that Mr. Darcy wanted to reciprocate the hospitality that was shown to him while he was staying at Netherfield.” replied Sarah.

“You mean to tell us Mr. Darcy didn’t ask you to marry him today?” asked Allison to the chagrin of the others.

“If Mr. Darcy had asked me to marry him, don’t you suppose that it should be up to Mr. Darcy to announce it to our family and friends? Don’t you think he should be the one to decide when and where he would make the announcement?” queried Sarah.

They all sat back in their seats disappointed in their behavior. Sarah had been right. They shouldn’t be asking that question of Sarah and Mr. Darcy. When the time came they should be the ones who were happy to share their news.

They shouldn’t be pestered by their friends and family no matter how well their intentions were.

“You’re right Sarah. It’s not our place to ask. If you have news to share with us, then it’s up to you to decide when to share it.” replied Mrs. Burnett.

Tuesday
29 September
Michaelmas
Pemberly

The extended Mackenzie family enjoyed the next couple of days. Pemberly was beautiful and there were many things to do. One day they went into Lampton to see where Mrs. Burnett grew up.

Jack and Jordan managed to slip off to be by themselves. They went for a ride one afternoon and saw many beautiful vistas. They talked about their future together.

Mrs. Mackenzie just enjoyed being taken care of by an excellent staff. For her it was a vacation from her daily life. It was a special treat and she was thankful that Mr. Darcy had put aside their disagreements and had invited her.

But like all good things, their time at Pemberly was coming to its end. The Mackenzie family were all gathering together to be on their way. Mr. Mackenzie looked around to see if everyone was present.

“Mrs. Mackenzie, where is your daughter?” he asked.

It was time to go. He had had enough of Pemberly. He wanted to be back home at Longbourn where he was comfortable. While he had enjoyed spending time with his extended family, he was ready to be home in his own environment.

“Which one are you talking about? I have a hard time keeping track of them when we’re not at home.” she replied.

“Sarah, I haven’t seen her since breakfast this morning.” he answered.

“She probably went for a walk with Mr. Darcy. According to Jennifer that is what she has been doing everyday this month.” she replied.

If Sarah wanted to be with Mr. Darcy, who was she to argue with her. She had to admit that they looked good together, maybe even better than Jordan and Mr. Keeter. She was just disappointed that Sarah hadn’t told her that she was seeing him.

“I see them! They’re over there on the veranda.” exclaimed Chloe as everyone looked in that direction.

What they saw surprised them. They were slightly hidden from view, but everyone could see that they were sharing a kiss. What did it all mean? Had Mr. Darcy asked Sarah to marry him? Were they a couple now?

They didn’t have to wait long as Sarah and Mr. Darcy separated and began their walk to where everyone was waiting. They weren’t aware that they had been seen. Everyone waited with anticipation of any news.

“Are you ready to leave Sarah?” asked Mr. Mackenzie before anyone blurted out what they had seen. If Sarah had anything to share with them, let her tell them without being asked.

“Yes Papa, but before we do, Mr. Darcy has a few words he wants to share with everyone.” smiled Sarah.

She was glowing. She felt so happy inside after she accepted the fact that she was in love with Mr. Darcy. It was a wonderful feeling. She didn’t understand why she had been so afraid to let herself love Mr. Darcy.

“I want to thank everyone for coming. It has been a long time since so much happiness has permeated Pemberly. You all are welcomed back at any time.” declared Mr. Darcy.

There was a look of disappointment on many faces as they had hoped that Mr. Darcy was going to announce his engagement to Sarah. Sarah whispered a few words to Mr. Darcy before addressing her family and the Keeters.

“Before we leave this beautiful place, I want to tell you that Mr. Darcy has asked me to marry him and I have said yes.” announced Sarah.

She had the biggest smile on her face her father had ever seen. He knew his little girl was happy and hopelessly in love. He was happy for her even though he had to travel many miles in a coach.

Everyone went to Sarah and Mr. Darcy to offer their congratulations to the happy couple. They were all very happy for Sarah for she was very special and deserved only the best that the world had to offer.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Thank you so much for the missing chapter. Have I toldyou that you are doing an amazing job in writing missing scenes? I think now it will be difficult for me to read the original novel without comparing it to your story and picturing Harm and Sarah instead of Mr. Darcy and Eizabeth (NT)Serenity15:10:31 03/27/08 Thu

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.