VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: Last Dance : continue

Author:
peter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:19:39 03/27/08 Thu
In reply to: peter 's message, "Last Dance" on 14:17:37 03/27/08 Thu

part 2

2100 hours

After dinner Harm and Mac excused themselves from the table to do a little dancing. They moved to other side of dance floor so a drunken sailor, namely Brumby, wouldn't interrupt them.

When they first started, the floor was filled with many couples. The music was pleasant to dance to and everyone was having a good time. As the night moved on the music change requiring more skill and stamina.

Fewer and fewer couples remained on the floor, many were standing on the edge of the dance floor admiring the ease and grace that Harm and Mac seemed to demonstrate as they glided along the dance floor.

Bud and Harriet returned to the table after a poor attempt at dancing. Caitlin and Meg were sitting there too. They both had done some dancing, but their dance partners hadn't been nearly as good as Harm and Mac. They danced a few dances before returning to the table.

"Wow! I didn't know Harm was such good a dancer." exclaimed Meg. He never took me dancing when I worked with him."

"We went dancing a few times, but he never dance that well when he was with me." sighed Caitlin.

"They do dance beautifully." sighed Harriet. "It's like two people making love."

"What?" asked Bud and Jack.

"I don't think she means the actual act of sex Jack. I think she's referring to acts leading up to making love, you know, the art of foreplay sailor." smiled Meg.

"Look at how he's holding her. It's not too tightly or pinning her to his body. It's more like a gentle caress. Close, but not too close. They're enjoying the physical nearness of the other, their scent, just being together without a care in the world." explained Caitlin.

"I wonder how they became so good. Everybody in the room is watching them. They're special." sighed Harriet wishing that Bud was half as good as the Commander.

"Lessons." replied Bud.

"What?" asked Jack a bit surprised. He had known Harm from his academy days. They never could get Harm to go dancing. Dancing was one of the few things Harm wouldn't do for Diane.

Everyone at the table looked at Bud for some form of clarification. Why was it he only rambled on when no one cared about what he was talking about, but said very few words when the subject was interesting or meaningful?

"Well, when we go on some long investigations, many times we would have dinners at the officer's club. Most of the weekends would start on Thursday as most of you are well aware. They would have dance lessons and a band." paused Bud.

"Come on Bud, don't stop there!" ordered Meg.

"It didn't seem to help you Lieutenant." chuckled Tom Boone.

"Harm doesn't like to dance. Even Diane couldn't get him to dance." argued Jack.

"Apparently he does now." sighed Caitlin as she wished it she who was in Harm's arms.

"I didn't say I took lessons!" exclaimed Bud looking at Harriet in fear. "I would never do anything like that without Harriet."

"Relax Bud, go on with the story." ordered Meg. No one really cares if you danced with anyone other than your wife she thought.

"Well, they would partake in whatever the dance class that was being given and then spend a couple of hours that night working on getting the dance steps down. Depending on how many nights we were away .... " smiled Bud.

"By the time they returned to our rooms I would have typed up our notes for the day." finished Bud

"It wasn't your job to type up their notes Lieutenant." bellowed the Admiral.

"I really didn't mind Sir. I usually would call Harriet before I typed up the notes. The main reason I typed up their notes Sir was, it enabled me to follow their line of questioning. It helped me understand better how to conduct an interview thus becoming a better lawyer Sir." replied Bud.

"Good answer Bud." smiled Meg. Bud always could think quickly on his feet.

Meanwhile out on the dance floor Harm noticed that there were fewer and fewer couples on the dance floor. He observed that many of them now were standing on the sidelines watching him while he danced with Mac.

He looked down at Mac to see that her eyes were close and her head was nearly resting on his chest. He smiled. She looked so happy and contented. He hated to disturb her, but he felt like he had too.

"Sarah." he whispered in her ear.

"What?" she mumbled back.

"I think we're about the only people on the dance floor. Everyone is watching us. They're taking pictures of us." he whispered.

"They're jealous because I'm dancing with you. They can't have you." she mumbled almost incoherently.

"It might be time to take a break Sarah. We've been dancing for awhile. I do need to talk to you about something." smiled Harm as she looked up to him.

"One hour and forty nine minutes and I don't want to let you go." she wailed as she gazed up into his eyes. His eyes looked so beautiful tonight she thought.

"I think we should take a short break and let the other guests dance." smiled Harm. "I'll get us something to drink and meet you out on the terrace. We can do some more dancing later."

She looked into his eyes and saw that he was sincere. She agreed to meet him out on the terrace. She wondered how she could go back to the table and grab her wrap without getting sidetracked by someone.

She made her way back to the table to see it half full. She wasn't surprised to see Bud and Harriet sitting there talking. They weren't very good dancers. A night like tonight was more of an evening out away from baby Aj.

Caitlin and Meg were there too. Jack and the CAG must be on a booze run she thought. Neither man appeared to be the type to spend the night dancing. She saw the Admiral get up with Sydney. They must be going to do a little dancing she thought.

Then she saw Mic sitting there alone. She wondered why he wasn't making the rounds. He talked about joining a law firm in Washington during dinner. This event was the perfect place to meet people. Many of the most important people in Washington were here tonight.

She walked up to the table and grabbed her wrap and purse. She was hoping that she would only have to say hello before heading off to meet Harm.

"That was beautiful Ma'am." exclaimed Harriet happily.

"You dance so beautifully." added Meg who was equally impressed. "I didn't know Harm could dance like that. We never went dancing when we worked together."

"I told them about all the dance lessons that you and the Commander have taken Ma'am." added Bud proudly.

"Thank you all for the nice complements. It's been a long time since Harm and I have gone dancing together. The last time I think was before he left to return to the fleet and fly tomcats." smiled Mac.

"That's impossible Sarah. You two were dancing tonight like you go out dancing every week. The dances are too complex and intricate to have not practice often." argued Caitlin.

"We both know how to dance Caitlin. Harm started taking lessons when he was twelve. I've been dancing since I was ten. It really isn't that hard if you let the man lead. Besides it's a lot of fun. I could never understand why anyone would do a dance that didn't include holding onto your partner." smiled Mac.

"You don't suppose we could have a dance with Harm?" asked Meg with a sigh.

"By the way where is Harm?" asked Caitlin

"He went to get a drink. And I don't know you'll have to ask him Meg." replied Mac innocently.

Mic got up to walk over to Mac. He was two sheets to the wind since he had been drinking steadily since Mac left to dance with Harm.

"Sa..ra..h lu.v.... come he...eer, let da...nce." Mic managed to slur out.

"I'm going to the ladies room Mic. Go sit down." ordered Mac.

At that point she quickly moved away from the table to meet up with Harm.

On the Terrace

Harm found her outside standing by the edge of the terrace looking out towards the Mall. It was well lit up and it could be seen for miles. There were other monuments that were also visible, but she was focused on the Wall.

He walked over to her and offered her a tall glass of her favorite beverage. She seemed preoccupied. He wondered what she was thinking about. Only moments ago she seemed to be very happy.

"What's wrong?" he asked showing concern.

"Nothing, really. I just ran into Brumby and he's drunk as a skunk. Sometimes I wonder what I see in him." she sighed.

"I suppose he can be charming at times, but to be honest I don't want to talk about the man from down under. I want to talk to you about ... us." he replied looking to see how she would react.

"Us? Is there an Us? You've been dating Renee for the last few months. I don't think there is an Us." she replied sounding more than a little hurt.

"Do you want there to be an Us?" he asked.

"Harm ..... " she replied sullenly.

"What would you say if I said I made a mistake when we were down under? What would you say if I said I was ready and that I don't want to be with Renee anymore, ..... only with you?" he continued.

"Harm, what is it that you're trying to say to me?" she asked hopefully, but a little confused.

"I love you Sarah. I want you in my life for the rest of my life. Sarah MacKenzie, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife and making me the happiest man on this world?" proposed Harm.

Although she was happy about the prospects of marrying Harm, Mac had to wonder why he was doing it now. What had changed? Was it because Mic was here tonight? Was it because she had gone to Australia to see Mic a couple of times?

Was he jealous? Harm never did like any man she ever dated. It never stopped him from making fun of any of them. Why tonight? Why not last week, next week, why tonight?

"Why are you asking me to marry you, Harm? Is it because Mic is here?" asked Mac looking for some clarification of Harm's intent.

"No Sarah, I didn't even know he was going to be here tonight. I've been trying to figure out how to ask you for awhile now. I thought tonight would be special because of the Surface Warfare Ball.

I'm asking you Sarah, because I love you. I tried being with Renee, but I found the relationship to be lacking any real substance. She's very shallow and needy. No matter how hard I tried with her, it wasn't the same as being with you.

You're beautiful and intelligent. You don't need anyone to define you. I sometimes wonder how I am so lucky to have you in my life. There are days I sit here drinking in your beauty, inhaling you scent, and listening to soft seductive tone of your voice. It's hypnotic.

It surprises me some days that I'm even able to function being so near you. You're the only woman I have ever loved or will ever love. I want to spend every day for the rest of my life with you in. Please Sarah, marry me." pleaded Harm.

"Something told me that tonight might be special. You came to my apartment to take me to the ball. I even made a special effort to look nicer because I was going to be here with you tonight.

When we got here, it seemed that you made a special effort to introduce me to all your friends as if I was your lady. I kind of thought you might do something special tonight, but I never thought you would ask me to marry you." she rambled on trying to gather herself for the biggest answer to a question she had ever been asked.

Harm was wondering why she wasn't answering the question. It was either yes or no. She didn't need to give a dissertation on the matter.

Meanwhile back at their table Caitlin had noticed that Sarah had gone out onto the terrace. Shortly thereafter she had seen Harm followed her out there. She wondered what was going on between the two of them.

From what she had learned from Harriet tonight Harm was dating Renee and Sarah was with Mic. Why then was Harm spending the whole night with Sarah and not Renee? Why was Sarah ignoring Mic who had traveled ten thousand mile to be with her?

"Did you see them?" Caitlin asked Meg.

"See who?" she replied.

"Harm and Sarah, they're both went out onto the terrace. I wonder what they're doing out there. I was hoping that Harm would spend a little time with us tonight. It has been a few years since we've seen him last.

It would have been nice to do some catching up and see what was going on with his life." moaned Caitlin softly.

"Well I think they were seeing other people, but tonight it looks like they're seeing only each other. Maybe they're seeing what all their friends have been seeing for the last four years." replied Meg.

"What's that?" she asked.

"They're in love and want to be with each other." Meg replied with a smile.

Back out on the terrace Harm gave Mac a pleading look, begging her to give him an answer. She took a deep breath as she prepared to give Harm the answer he deserved to get.

"Yes Harmon Rabb Junior, I'll marry you." she replied with tears of happiness in her eyes.

Harm gathered her up into his arms and kissed her. It was the most passionate kiss he had ever given a woman before. He was so happy. They stayed that way for a few moments before Mac released her hold on Harm.

"I think we should spend some time with our friends. They haven't seen too much of us tonight. We don't want to be rude." cooed Mac softly.

"I think you're right marine, but I just want to hold you for a few more minutes please." he replied.

at their table

Harm and Mac decided to return to their table to spend some time with their friends. They couldn't be totally unsociable after all one of the reasons for them to attend a function like the Surface Warfare Ball was to renew acquaintances with people and friends they hadn't seen in awhile.

They saw a couple of seats available near Jack, Meg, and Caitlin. They walked over to them and sat down. Mac took off her wrap and placed it on the back of the chair.

Caitlin observed a change in Mac's mood. Mac seemed happier and seemed to glow. Caitlin needed to find out more, but how? Maybe polite conversation about where Mac had been all evening would do.

"Ah, the beautiful people have returned." chuckled Jack. He had hoped to spend a little time with Harm tonight, but it didn't appear that was going to happen.

"Sorry guys, I guess we sort of got side tracked." smiled Harm.

"So where have you two been?" asked Caitlin deviously.

"Dancing." Harm quickly replied.

"For two hours!" exclaimed Bud.

"One hour and forty nine minutes and thirty two seconds." deadpanned Mac without looking at her watch.

"How does she do that?" exclaimed Jack.

"Need to know Jack." smirked Harm as he realized someone else was as baffle as he was by her precision timing.

"I tried to explain it to you last year Jack, you know when we were in the desert with the Bedouins eating camel fodder." smiled Mac.

"You know I wasn't thinking very clearly back then. Eating camel fodder messes with your mind." argued Jack.

"So where have you been for the last half-hour Sarah?" smiled Caitlin as she tried to get the conversation back on track.

Everyone looked at her. They were focusing all their attention on her. They all wondered what going on between the Commander and the Colonel. It wasn't like them to disappear from a party.

"I needed to cool down from all that dancing. I needed a little fresh air." smiled Mac.

"You looked beautiful out there Sarah. You and Harm are very good dancers. Everyone was watching you dance. I wouldn't be surprise to see a picture or two of you and Harm in the newspaper tomorrow." commented Meg.

She wished that she was the lucky one to have someone like Harm to love her and want to show the world how much he did.

"I can see the caption, 'Washington's Newest Hot Couple Dancing the Night Away'." teased Caitlin as she noticed Mac blushing. It was then she noticed the ring. Ha ha ha she thought.

"So Sarah, did things cool off when you went out on the terrace for some fresh air or did the temperature rise even more." smirked Caitlin.

Mac noticed where Caitlin was looking and quickly hid her hand and the ring, but not before some of the others noticed the bauble.

"You moved the ring!" exclaimed Harriet as she noticed that the ring on Mac's left hand.

Mic's ears perked up at this point. He had tried not to pay any attention as Sarah sat closer than expected to Harm. Ring move, had Sarah decided she wanted to be engaged to him? Had the sacrifice of his career made a difference?

Had making the move shown Sarah that he really did loved her? He looked over to her and waited for an answer. His heart was beating a mile a minute as he waited. Please be true god, please be true he prayed.

At this point Mac was more than a little embarrassed. As happy as she was she had hoped to keep this moment, the engagement to the most wonderful man in the world, the man she loved, to herself for a little while longer before letting the rest of the world know.

"I didn't move the ring Harriet." replied Mac.

Technically she had moved the ring, she had taken the ring off and placed it into a small box. But as far as what Harriet was implying, that she had moved the ring Mic gave her to her other hand, no she hadn't moved it, which was the truth.

"But that's a lovely ring I saw on your finger Sarah." smiled Caitlin.

"Come on Sarah, show us the ring." pleaded Meg.

"Damn!" exclaimed Jack, "He actually did it. He took the stick (Harm's a pilot) out from between his legs and asked her."

"What?" asked Harriet thinking that the ring was the same one that Mic had given Mac a few months ago.

It was time for Harm to take over. He could tell that Mac was a little overwhelmed by all the attention she was getting.

"A little over three years ago as some of you know ..... I lost a woman I thought I loved, Diane Shonke. I thought any chance for love died when she died.

A few months later another woman entered my life. She looked just like Diane and I was hooked, but I didn't know if the feelings I had for her were because she looked like Diane or if I had fallen in love with her that quickly.

I know Bud once mentioned to Sarah that she only looked like Diane, that she was a fun loving computer geek and Sarah was ..... a square away no nonsensical marine.

As always Bud couldn't have been further from the truth. Sarah and Diane could have been identical twins in every way, who just happened to be separated at birth.

My relationship with Sarah developed very similar to the one I had with Diane. Both were very beautiful and intelligent women. Neither one was easy swayed by false modesty of charming flyboy wantabees.

I had to earn their respect first. Both of them challenged me to be better than I was. Both of them were there when I needed them the most." informed Harm as a tear appeared.

"Diane was there after my ramp strike ten tears ago. Sarah was there with me in Russia when I finally found out what happened to my father. And as you have all seen tonight Sarah knows how to have a good time just like Diane did." smiled Harm.

"Anyway, earlier tonight out on the terrace I asked Sarah to be my wife." concluded Harm as he looked around the table.

He saw a lot of stunned looks that turned to looks of anticipation of did she say yes? He could see tears forming in Harriet's eyes. He saw a look of defeat in Mic's.

"Sarah, you said yes didn't you?" questioned Caitlin.

"I let him sweat for a few minutes, but I did say yes." confirmed Mac.

"Why?" asked Meg in disbelief.

"He surprised me. I had no idea that he would ask me to marry him tonight. It's not as if we were as close as we were before he left to fly. It's been a long road back to where we were before." answered Mac as a tear or two formed in her eyes.

"I'm so happy for you Ma'am." cried a confused Harriet who got up from her chair to give Mac a hug.

For some reason she thought Mic was here tonight because Mac had agreed to marry him. She felt sad for him because he had come a long way to have his heart broken. But she was happy for Mac. She knew in her heart that Harm was the right man for Mac.

Everyone joined Harriet in congratulating Harm and Mac.

It wasn't long before Harm and Mac had returned to the dance floor. They spent the rest of the night dancing before calling it quits. Their friends were still amazed at how well they danced together.

The next morning they awoke to the morning news on the local CBS station. They were surprised to see they were the headline news for all the newscasts. They were introduced as Washington's newest and hottest couple.

The End

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.