VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: You See Only What We Want You to See

Author:
peter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:13:23 03/28/08 Fri

You See Only What We Want You to See
peter
pairing: Harm/Mac
Summary: What you see isn’t necessary what is there. The staff of JAG is invited to an exclusive home. Who do they know that would invite them?
Disclaimer: JAG is property of Belisarius productions, no copyright
infringement intended.

Please let me know what you think, it’s the only way I can get better

part 1 The Invitation

1400 hours
Break room
JAG Headquarters

Harriet walked into the break room. She was very excited. She saw Jason, Jen, and Sturgis in the room. They were all getting a cup of coffee and talking about the invitation they had all received in their in box today.

“What’s going on guys?” asked Harriet curiously hoping that they were talking about the invitation.

“We’ve been talking about the invitation we received in our in boxes today, Ma’am.” exclaimed Jen.

“Did you get one Ma’am?” asked Jen.

“Yes I did Jen. I’m so excited. It has to be the social event of the summer.” Harriet replied.

“Why’s that Ma’am?” asked Jen a little surprised.

“Don’t you know where the party is? It’s in the most exclusive part of Mount Vernon. All the residences there are mansions. I can’t imagine who we all know that would invite us?” answered Harriet.

“How do you know this Lieutenant?” asked Sturgis.

Harriet looked at him in disbelief. He had to be kidding. Doesn’t anyone here know anything about Mount Vernon?

“I’m surprise that you don’t know Sir. I heard that you are supposed to be quite the history buff.” replied Harriet in amazement.

“I am Lieutenant, but what does that have to do with anything?” Sturgis replied.

“Does George Washington, leader of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the eighteen century ring a bell Sir?” replied Harriet as she walked away shaking her head. Men! Don’t they know anything.

“What’s wrong with her?” asked Sturgis a bit taken by Harriet’s reaction.

Now it was Jen’s turn to laugh and shake her head in disbelief at his ignorance.

“Do you really live in a vacuum Sir? The Lieutenant comes from money Sir. Her folks have places up and down the East Coast. She knows who lives where and how long they have been there.” replied Jen.

“Do you know anything about Mount Vernon Petty Officer?” asked Sturgis.

“Enough to know why she’s very excited Sir.” replied Jen.

Meanwhile in Mac’s office Harm was working with Mac on a new case. Harm saw her smiling, almost grinning while she shook her head.

“What are you smiling about Mac?” asked Harm.

“I just saw Harriet doing a little jig out in the bullpen. Then she hurried into the break room where Jen and Jason are.” smile Mac.

“I think she just saw one of the invitations that was sent around the office.”

Harm smiled. He knew how Harriet could be. Sometime she got excited over the littlest things. Mac had once told him it was something only a mother would understand.

“How soon do you think it will take before she’s knocking on your door?” asked Harm.

“Not for another hour. I told her I would be busy working on a case with you and I didn’t want to be disturbed.” Mac replied.

“Do you think that will stop her?” asked Harm.

“It usually does. Though you may be right in this case. This is something that she lives for.” smiled Mac as she reached over and put a hand on Harm’s hand.

An hour later sure enough Harriet was knocking on her door.

“Ma’am, did you see the invitation? Everyone in the office got one.” exclaimed Harriet as she walked in to take a seat.

Mac smiled. The little things that got Harriet excited.

“Make yourself comfortable Harriet and tell me what has gotten you so excited.”

“The invitations Ma’am. We’ve been invited to a party at one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in all Virginia. It should be the social event of the season Ma’am.” yelped Harriet.

“I hardly doubt that Harriet. According to my invitation dress is casual. That’s hardly an indication that it’s the social event of the season.” replied Mac smiling.

“But Ma’am, there is so much history there. Some of history most famous families have lived there. Aren’t you excited!” yelped Harriet. She couldn’t understand why anyone didn’t understand her excitement.

“Harriet, it’s just a party. If it was something special as you seem to keep implying, why would the whole JAG staff be invited. Only the senior staff would have been invited. Besides who do you know that lives in Mount Vernon that would have invited everyone.” smiled Mac.

“You do have a point Ma’am, but I still think it will be a special day. A day we are all going to remember.” chirped Harriet.

“I’m sure it will be Harriet. It will be interesting to find out who our benefactors are.” smiled Mac.

Mac had to laugh to herself. If Harriet was so excited now, how was she going to react when she found out the reason why she was invited this weekend. It promised to be quite interesting.

1300 hours
14 room Mansion
Mount Vernon, Virginia

A few days later a small caravan of cars pulled up in front of a large fourteen room mansion. They all had met at JAG to make the long trip to Mount Vernon. None of them except maybe Harriet knew how to get there. They were all afraid of getting lost.

They had started gathering at JAG as early as ten hundred hours. The Admiral had figured that if they were going to meet there, he might as well catch up on some work he hadn’t gotten too.

Meredith had come along to keep him company. And keeping him company was what she did. The Admiral sigh as the peace and quiet of his office, his private domain, was violated with constant chatter. He wondered if she ever stop.

Fortunately for him the Roberts were early. Maybe they could occupy Meredith’s time for an hour or two while he finally got some work done.

By the time they were ready to leave, there were five cars and twenty people. They had decided to car pool. There was no sense in taking everybody’s car. And not knowing the parking capability the Admiral deemed it wise to take as few cars as possible.

Sturgis got out of the car and whistled before moving to the other side the car to let Bobbie out.

“Wow!” exclaimed Jason as he and Jen moved to join Sturgis and Bobbie.

“Do we know anyone who lives in a place like this Admiral?” asked Jason as the Admiral and Meredith joined the group.

“No one comes to mind Tiner. Who do you think it is?” smiled the Admiral as he looked over at Meredith.

“I don’t know Sir. Maybe it belongs to Commander Manetti’s parents. They’re supposed to own a Virginia plantation.” offered Jason.

“I don’t think so Sir.” replied Manetti as she joined them. She had come along with Sturgis and Bobbie.

“My folks live at least a hundred miles from here.” she drawled softly as her smile lit up her face.

“They certainly have an impressive place, but it doesn’t compare to this mansion and estate. They certainly would be envious.”

“What about you Lieutenant? You’re suppose you know all the movers and shakers in Virginia.” deadpanned Sturgis.

“What? Why am I supposed to know Sir? I just know that this part of town is very exclusive.” pouted Harriet.

Why did everyone think she knew who lived here? She was from Florida, not Virginia. Just because she was excited to be here and could appreciate what being here more than the others and what an honor it was, it didn’t mean she knew who lived here.

“Why don’t we just go up and knock on the door and find out.” bellowed the Admiral getting tired of where this inane conversation was going.

It was bad enough listening to it on the ride up from JAG, from Meredith, Jen, and Jason, he didn’t needed to hear it from the rest of his staff.

He was in dire need of a beer. Maybe he would be able to shake Meredith for a few hours. He loved her as much as any man loved a woman, but too much was too much. Let her ramble on about some nonsensical dribble with some of the ladies. It’s what they do best he thought.

They were greeted at the door by an older gentleman about sixty to sixty five. He was tall and well dressed, but not overstated.

“Come in everyone. You must be the Harm’s friends from the Navy. We’ve been expecting you.” greeted Frank.

“Harm’s friends!” was the common look among the crew. How does this man know Harm? Maybe Harm and Mac had arrived earlier so the man knew him?

“My name is Frank Burnett. Please come in, all of you. Most of the other guests are around out back. There’s plenty of food and drink on the back porch.”

He led them all to the back porch. Harriet, Jen, and Bobbie all were whispering about Harm, Frank, and this house. Wow! When they reached the back of the house the Admiral was surprise to see so many people already there.

He recognized a few of them. There was Tom Boone, Jack Keeter, Carolyn Imes, Elizabeth “Skates” Hawkes and her husband. He noticed Harm and Mac talking to each other on a swing.

But what surprised him the most was all the children he saw. There must have been twenty or thirty. They were all running around playing some game. Lord only knew what it was, but they seem to be having fun.

He went over to see Tom. He wanted to introduce Meredith to him. He saw Harm’s mother Trish talking to Tom. He was a little surprise, but then again no. Harm’s father was a pilot who was shot down in Viet Nam.

Tom Boone was a former CAG who served many years on an aircraft carrier. He also was a pilot during the war. And didn’t Harm mention to him once that Tom was his father’s wingman.

“Hello Trish, you know this old seadog?” greeted AJ with a big grin.

“Who Tom? Of course AJ, he was my husband’s best friend. They flew together for a long time before he was shot down.” smiled Trish as she shook her head.

“Yeah, I even know her current husband, the use car salesman.” grinned Tom.

“Right Frank. He’s the man responsible for Junior. Made him the man he is today.” grinned Tom.

“What’s that, wild and crazy, slow to do as he is told?” grinned AJ.

“Yes, That would be me.” smiled Frank.

“Don’t forget obstinate and surly. He has a spirit that could be tame by only one woman.” smiled Frank.

“Have to agree with you there Frank. He was really a loose cannon before Mac came along. She seems to keep him under control most of the time.” offered AJ.

“Too bad he won’t do the right thing by her.” continued AJ.

“What’s that AJ?” asked Tom.

“Marry the poor woman.” moaned AJ.

“Harm has always been a man of mystery Admiral. I’m sure they are a few things about him that even you don’t know.” offered Trish.

“That I’m sure of, but there is very little about Harm that I don’t eventually find out about. I think I have a pretty good handle on him.” replied AJ.

“By the way this is my fiancee Meredith. She teaches Shakespeare at Georgetown.” introduced AJ.

Meanwhile Harriet, Bud, Sturgis, Tracy, and Bobbie went to visit with Harm and Mac.

“Wow! This is a beautiful place Sir.” exclaimed Bud. “I can’t believe how big the place is.”

“Yeah, it appears to be big Bud, but how big is it really all depends upon how many people are actually living in it.” replied Harm.

“Sir?” asked a confused Bud.

“How many people live here?” asked Harriet joining in.

“Why is that important to you Harriet?” asked Mac.

Harriet was taken by surprise. She hadn’t expected that question from Mac. She thought everyone would want to know everything or as much as possible.

“Ma’am? I don’t understand.” replied Harriet.

“Don’t you respect the privacy of the people who live here. Isn’t it enough that they thought it important enough to include you?” responded Mac.

She was smiling inside. It was always amazing that Harriet got so excited about unimportant things. Why did it matter how many people live here? Would it change her life? One wouldn’t think so.

“I’m sorry Ma’am, you’re right. It was rude of me to think I had the right to know how many people lived here.” wailed Harriet as she slumped into chair.

“It’s alright Harriet. Harm was implying that for a family of two this is a large place. For a large extended family of say ten, it’s not so big anymore. It’s all relative.” smiled Mac.

“So Mac, who do all these kids belong to.” asked Bobbie changing the subject.

“I’m not sure Bobbie. I’m sure some of them came here with their parents. Some .... might even live here. And I’m sure there must be a few from the neighborhood. Kids always seem to find a party to crash.” giggled Mac.

She was enjoying this. Harm was beside her rubbing her back. Her friends were here and seemed to be having a good time. There were plenty of kids running around having fun. Something she wished she had more of when she was younger.

“This is truly an impressive place Sir.” began Tracy. “My folks have a nice place being that it’s a tobacco plantation, but this place is so much nicer.”

“I wouldn’t know Tracy. I’m a West Coast kind of guy, you know a beach bum.” laughed Harm.

“And you know Mac was a marine brat. She grew up on military posts.”

“Harriet’s folks have a very nice place in Florida, but it doesn’t compare to this.” chipped in Bud.

“Ma’am, don’t you wish you had all this?” asked Harriet.

“All of what Harriet?” asked Mac wondering why Harriet was still fixated on excess wealth.

“I don’t mean the mansion per se Ma’am. What I mean is the house, the family, the neighbor’s kids playing in the yard, having friends over for the afternoon, the relaxing and having a good time. Don’t you want this Ma’am?” asked Harriet.

Mac sat there thinking for a few moments. She wanted to handle this in a manner that would enlighten everyone, but she didn’t want it to come out too soon.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
You See Only What We Want You to See : continuespeter14:14:21 03/28/08 Fri
Constructive criticism --note insideKaren Joy20:01:53 03/28/08 Fri

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.