VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: The Truth be Known : continues

Author:
peter
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:25:53 03/31/08 Mon
In reply to: peter 's message, "The Truth be Known : continues" on 21:24:32 03/31/08 Mon

part 4 I always know where you are

on deck of the Patrick Henry

Mac stood back out of the way from everyone, watching as the helicopter landed on the deck. She watched as the Medical personnel ran up to the helicopter to help unload Harm, who was lying on a stretcher, to take him to sickbay. As the corpsmen were taking him below, Captain Ingles stopped them.

“Why is it Commander you have to live up to your reputation and make everyone else’s lives more difficult?” asked the Captain with a smile.

Mac couldn’t help but laughed a little in relief. If there one thing she knew, Harm was trouble with a capital T.

“Sorry Sir. It wasn’t my intention. Where’s Mac?” Harm replied.

“You mean Colonel Mackenzie?” asked Captain Ingles.

“Yes Sir.” replied Harm.

“What makes you think the Colonel is here Commander. I thought you told me she was supposed to be getting married this morning?” asked Captain Ingles with a sly smile.

“I always know where she is Sir. Whenever I need her, she’s there for me. I know she’s here Sir.” replied Harm anxiously.

“Why?” asked Captain Ingles.

“Because I need her.” replied Harm.

Captain Ingles shook his head in disbelief. He waved for Mac to come over to join them.

“I’m here Harm.” said Mac softly as she took one of his hands.

“I knew you would be here Mac. I needed to see you, to say I’m sorry.” replied Harm with a tear in his eye.

“It’s okay Harm. I knew you would have been there last night if you could. You gave us all a scare when you crashed.” responded Mac quietly.

“I love you ninja girl.” replied Harm with a gleam in eye.

But before Mac could reply I love you too, the corpsman insisted

“Ma’am, we really need to get him to sickbay. He needs to begin the treatments to get warmed up.”

They then took him away. Captain Ingles just shook his head in disbelief. It seem that the Colonel was right after all. The Commander would want her, needed to see her, and indeed they were in love with each other.

sickbay

Later that afternoon Mac was sitting by Harm’s bed. She had been there since he had been brought on board ship and taken to sickbay. They hadn’t had any more conversations as Harm quickly fell asleep once he was stripped and dried off before being place under heating blankets to raise his body temperature back to normal.

The doctor had given her his initial report. Harm had broken his left leg and fracture his hip among the cuts and bruises one got from ejecting and hitting the water going very fast. She prayed that he wasn’t in too much pain.

Earlier, around 1130 hours, Skates had come by and asked her if she wanted to go to the galley to grab a bite to eat with her, but Mac didn’t want to go. She wanted to be there when Harm woke up.

An hour later Skates had returned with some food for Mac to eat and some ice tea to drink. Mac had played with her food a little, but she wasn’t very hungry. She would eat when she knew Harm was alright.

Finally mid afternoon Harm started to wake up. He looked up into Mac’s beautiful brown eyes and smiled. He took her hand in his.

“Good afternoon Mrs. Rabb, we have to talk.” he said. Mac just looked at him adoringly.

“We have plenty of time for that later flyboy when you get better. You just rest and get better.” smiled Mac. But Harm was determine.

“Mac, did you tell them about us last night?” asked Harm.

“I was going to tell them there wasn’t going to be a wedding after dinner and dessert, but before I had a chance to say anything we heard about your crash.

When we were told that they were suspending the search, I couldn’t stay in the same room with anyone. I had to get out of there. I had to be alone so I could cry. My heart was breaking. I was in so much pain.” replied a tearful Mac.

“I’m sorry Mac. I didn’t mean to put you through all that. I just wanted to get home to you. I love you so much.” Harm responded quietly.

“I know you do. That’s why it hurt so much. We are finally together. I did managed to tell everyone there wasn’t going to be a wedding today as I left the restaurant.” replied Mac softly.

“I’m sure they understood why. How could you get married without me being there?” smiled Harm.

“And they would have been worried about you too and would be thinking about you. Weddings are suppose to happy events, not sad.” cooed Mac as she leaned down and gave him a kiss.

They talked for another hour before Harm fell back to sleep. A short time later Mac found Skates in her cabin. She invited Skates to go to the galley for dinner. After getting something to eat and drink they sat down in the corner away from everyone.

“Didn’t you say you were supposed to be marrying some Aussie today? What happened?” asked a bewildered Skates.

“I was, but I realized that it was Harm I loved all along not Mic. Harm knows me better than I know myself. The night of my engagement party I came to the realization that even though Mic may love me, he doesn’t have a clue to who I am.

He’s afraid to asked me the difficult questions that need to be ask. He dismisses anything he doesn’t like. I believe in the beginning, he would have done anything to have me, but once I committed to him he became a control freak.

He wanted to do things for me he thought I should like, instead of doing things I really wanted to do.” replied Mac sadly.

“Then why did you stay with him for so long?” asked Skates.

“I began to get comfortable with him. He really was a nice man. And besides I didn’t think that Harm would ever tell me he loved me and want to be with me. I had given up hope.” replied Mac.

“What changed then Mac?” asked Skates.

“It was the night of my engagement party that the Admiral threw for me two weeks ago at his place.” smiled Mac almost dreamily. Skates saw the look on Mac’s face change from sad to romantic and happy.

“By the look on your face something big must have happened.” replied Skates digging for information.

“Well you know Harm, when it comes to expressing his feelings he’s still a sixteen years old on his first date. I confronted him about how he felt about me. He told he couldn’t do it at my engagement party. So he took me to the beach to talk.” smiled Mac.

“What! Are you kidding me? He took you away from your own engagement party to tell you how he felt.” asked a shocked Skates.

“Well I did mentioned to him earlier that it could have been our engagement party.” replied Mac smiling.

“What did he say to you?” asked an astonished Skates.

“He wanted to tell me that he was in love with me and had been for a long time. Then he took me into his arms and he gave me the most passionate kiss I have ever had.” smiled Mac dreamily.

“He told you he loved you. Then he kissed you like you’ve never been kissed before. But you were still going to go ahead with the wedding to the Aussie?” asked Skates.

“Well that’s true to a point. He did say ‘I love you Sarah’. ‘Please don’t marry Mic’. But he didn’t tell me ‘I want to spend the rest of my life with you’. Nor did he give me an indication that he wanted to marry me.

I wasn’t sure what he was saying was, because he loved me or because he was afraid of losing me.” replied Mac.

“Then what changed between then and now?” asked Skates.

“The following week I was scheduled to give a lecture at the Naval Academy. Harm offered to go along with me. He told me he could show me around the campus like only someone who attended the academy could.

I didn’t know what was going on inside of his head. He was being very attentive all week. We drove up Friday morning. He gave me a tour of the campus ending up in front of the chapel.” smiled Mac.

“Wow!” exclaimed Skates. “You must have suspected something?”

“I didn’t know what to expect. So I gave my talk that afternoon. We went to the Officer’s club for dinner. He was in his dress whites and I was wearing a nice blue formal evening dress.

After dinner he got down on one knee. He told me ‘I loved you Sarah’ and them asked me ‘Will you marry me’. I felt my heart begin to flutter with excitement.” whispered Mac as she leaned towards Skates.

“He asked you to marry him? Do you love him Sarah?” asked Skates.

“More then life itself. I have dreamt about marrying Harm since the day he took me up flying in his Stearman. It was his way of sharing his passion for flying and life and who he was with me. I felt so alive that day.” replied Mac.

“But how did you manage to get the Admiral to throw you an engagement party. He doesn’t seem to be the type. You know, old distant and crusty.” asked Skates.

“I know he gives that impression, but he’s a teddy bear at heart. But from what Tyner told me, Harriet bamboozle him into giving the party. The Admiral was talking about whether he missed the party.

Harriet told him he hadn’t, but her place was too small to have it. The next thing he knew he had somehow volunteered to host it.” smiled Mac.

“She conned him?” asked a stunned Skates.

“Yes she did. The Admiral never knew what hit him.”

While Mac had gone to the galley to have dinner with Skates, Harm had woken up and needed to used the facilities. He looked around and unfortunately there wasn’t anyone around to help him out.

Harm managed to sit up and swing his good leg over the edge of the bed. Then with some difficulty he lifted his broken leg carefully with both of his hands over the edge of the bed. He eased off the bed onto his good leg.

He hopped over to the head hopping on one foot with pain shooting up his back and hip every time he hopped. Finally he reached his destination and went about his task.

When he completed his tasked he started back to his bed. Unfortunately he hit a wet spot. His good foot went flying out from under him. He fell, hitting the back of his head.

When Mac returned to sickbay with Harm’s dinner she saw him lying unconscious on the floor. She yelled for help. Two corpsmen and a doctor ran into the room. The corpsmen got Harm back onto the bed where the doctor was able to examine him.

“How is he doctor?” asked Mac worriedly.

“He hit his head pretty hard. He has a nasty bump but it appears to be okay. He going to need surgery. I think he did more damage to his hip and back judging by the additional bruising I see in the area. We’re going to have to air lift him to Bethesda.” replied the doctor.

“How soon Sir?” asked Mac.

“I think in his case, the sooner the better, but it will take at least an hour to make all the arrangements.” replied the doctor.

Mac notified Captain Ingles and Lieutenant Hawkes about Harm’s accident and his need to be taken to Bethesda tonight. She then let Skates know they were flying back to Bethesda.

Skates received permission from the Captain and was allowed to accompany Mac back. The last thing Mac did before leaving was to call the Admiral to let him know the latest about Harm’s condition. He told her he would meet her there.

“Hello Admiral, This is Colonel MacKenzie.” started Mac.

“Where are you Colonel? You disappeared from the restaurant last night and no one has been able to locate you all day.” bellowed the Admiral. He had been worried about Mac. He knew Mac took Harm’s crash very hard. He didn’t like the idea that she was alone.

“Everyone at the restaurant went to headquarters to wait on word about Rabb. I had expected you to be there. He was rescued early this morning.” continued the Admiral.

“Yes Sir, I’m here on the Patrick Henry Sir with Commander Rabb.” replied Mac as she braced for the Admiral’s wrath.

“What on earth are you doing there? I thought you were supposed to be getting married today. Brumby has been running around the office like a chicken with his head cut off looking for you.” continue the Admiral bellowing.

“I told everyone last night that there wasn’t going to be a wedding today.” replied Mac. “I needed to be here for Harm.”

“I can’t say that I’m surprise. After all you followed him to Russia twice to cover his six.” responded the Admiral.

“I don’t have time to give you all the details Sir. I need to tell you why I called. Harm had another accident tonight while he was supposed to be resting. He’s being taken to Bethesda for surgery.” wailed Mac.

“Is he alright Mac?” asked the Admiral.

“I don’t know Sir. He’s hurt pretty bad. Look I need to go Sir. The COD is ready to take off and I need to be on board. I’ll talk to you later at Bethesda.” moaned Mac.

“What’s wrong AJ?” asked Trish.

The Admiral had taken Trish and Frank out to dinner. They had arrived later in the day after Harm had been rescued. They had just finished eating dinner and were getting ready for dessert.

“It’s Harm, it seems he had another accident while he was supposed to be resting. He’s being taken to Bethesda tonight instead of tomorrow afternoon. I need to call a couple of people to let them what’s going on.

He won’t be arriving at Bethesda for another hour. Why don’t we have desert and then I’ll take you and Frank to Bethesda.” replied the Admiral.

“Oh my God!” exclaimed a worried Trish. Frank took a hold of her hand and rubbed her back in an effort to calm her.

2000 hours
Bethesda Naval Hospital

Several hours later Frank and Trish arrived at the hospital with the Admiral. They were quite worried to hear that Harm needed surgery. They had thought he was okay even though he had been hurt ejecting from the tomcat.

When they arrived on the surgical level they saw Mac talking with several military personnel waiting in the waiting room. They didn’t look like doctors, maybe they were Harm’s or Mac’s friends.

“I’m so scared right now. I don’t know what I’ll do if he dies.” wailed Mac.

“He’s a survivor Ma’am. He won’t die, especially now that he finally has you. If that isn’t enough reason for him to get better, then I don’t what is.” smiled Skates as she held onto her fiancee who had joined them.

“He loves you Colonel. You’ll see. He’ll be giving you a flyboy grin before you know it.” smiled Skates.

Trish and Frank hurried over to Mac. Trish was a little surprise to see Mac wearing Harm’s leather flight jacket. When she reach Mac she cried out her name to take her into her arms. She knew Mac cared a lot for Harm.

“Sarah! How are you? How is Harm doing? What happen to him?” asked a frantic mother. Mac stood up to hug Trish.

“I’m a little scared Trish. I knew he was going to need surgery when he got back here, but I didn’t think it would be so critical.” wailed Mac.

“What’s wrong Sarah?” asked Trish.

“His body took quite a beating this time when he ejected. As you know this is his third time. And this time it was twice as bad as normal.

His body suffered the effects of Lieutenant Hawkes ejecting and then seconds later when he had to eject. He suffered a broken leg and hip. He also fractured some lumbar vertebrae in his lower back.” explained Mac.

“Oh no!” wailed Trish.

“But you said something about him having another accident.”

“While I was having dinner with Lieutenant Hawkes and before I returned with his dinner, Harm for some unknown reason got out of bed. He fell and hit his head.

When he fell he aggravated his injuries some more. The doctors thought that it would be better if he had the surgeries right away. He could die.” cried Mac. Trish took Mac in her arms and held her.

The Admiral had been delayed as he parked his SUV after dropping Trish and Frank at the entrance to the Hospital, but he heard the last part. He wanted to try and help her relax.

“Have you eaten anything today Mac?” asked the Admiral.

“I’m not hungry.” replied Mac.

“We had something to eat a few hours ago Sir.” responded Skates.

“The Colonel was bringing the Commander some dinner when she discover the Commander had fallen and was unconscious. They decided to rush the Commander here tonight Sir.” Skates informed the Admiral.

“How much longer is he going to be in surgery Mac?” asked the Admiral.

“I don’t know Sir. They only took him up an hour or so ago. It was supposed to be a long surgery.” replied Mac.

“Then let’s go. We’re going to the cafeteria to get something to eat Colonel, and that’s an order.” urged the Admiral. He knew something was wrong when Mac didn’t know the precise time.

“Yes Sir.” replied Mac.

Everyone went down to the cafeteria. They left word with the nurse’s station that they would be in the cafeteria if anyone showed up while they were gone.

Trish, Frank, the Admiral got some coffee and pie. Skates and her fiancee went with coffee and a sandwich. The Admiral made sure that Mac took a sandwich and cake with her coffee. He didn’t want her getting sick.

They all sat there quietly eating their dessert for a few minute while Mac played with her sandwich. Finally Trish broke the silence.

“Sarah, could you please tell me why you were out there on the carrier today, I thought you were supposed to be getting married today?” asked a surprised Trish.

“Harm needed me to be there.” replied Mac.

“I don’t understand Sarah, why?” Trish asked again.

“Because he has always been there for me. I’m always there for him. It’s where I was supposed to be.” answered a quiet Mac hoping Trish could understand and not question their bond.

“Were you there when they rescued him this morning?” asked Trish.

“Yes, I was able to get an early COD this morning out to the Patrick Henry. I reported in to Captain Ingles. I talked with Lieutenant Hawkes for awhile before we went to the Chapel on the ship to pray for Harm.

When we got there they were having a prayer service for Harm. All his fighter jock buddies and other squids were there praying for him too. They were a little taken aback and angry when I showed up there.

I guess they still harbor bad feelings from the time I prosecuted Lieutenant Buxton and Lieutenant Hawkes. They couldn’t understand why I would be there except to find fault for the crash.” explained Mac.

Mac reached into her bag and pulled out a photo album to show Trish and Frank.

“I think if you look through the album you might understand better why I was there.”

“Wow! You have a lot of pictures in here.” responded Trish as she looked through the album.

“I feel like I know the story behind each one of these pictures. I can see now why Harm was always so excited when he told me about some of the things you and he had done together. This is truly amazing.” continued Trish.

“I showed his friends aboard the carrier the album. I wanted them to see Harm the way I ..... and everyone here at JAG see him when he’s not being a fighter jock. That he has a life completely separated from flying and the reason why he wasn’t flying anymore.

After they all had a good looked through the album they understood why I was there. They all came up and gave me a hug and told me they would pray even harder for him.” smiled Mac.

“That’s so nice to hear. You usually only hear about the negatives things that naval aviators do, but they really are a very nice group of guys who are every supportive of each other.” replied Trish with tears in her eyes.

Frank put an arm around her. He knew she was thinking of Harm senior at that moment. It always amazed him that Trish was so well adjusted for someone who lost her husband to flying and feared losing her son the same way.

“When Captain Ingles told us that they had found him and were bringing him back aboard the Patrick Henry, I went up on deck to wait for him. As he was being taken below, the corpsman stopped to talk with Captain Ingles.

He wanted to know how Harm was. I was standing back out of sight ten feet away. I heard Harm asked the Captain ‘Where’s Mac?’ ‘Mac where are you?’ he cried out. The Captain shook his head in disbelief as he waved for me to come over to him.

I took his hand and told him I was there. That everything would be alright. Then I asked him how did he know I would be there? He just smiled at me and said ‘I needed you Sarah,’ ‘I knew you would be here.’ ‘I always know where you are.’” smiled Mac.

Everyone at the table sat there quietly staring at her in shock. They couldn’t believe that Harm and Mac shared that kind of connection. None of them had ever experience anything remotely similar in their lives.

But then again none of them had ever experience life together with someone like Harm and Mac had. Mac was beginning to get antsy, she wanted to get back upstairs to be there for Harm when he got out of surgery. She began to excuse herself.

“Where do you think you’re going Colonel?” asked the Admiral.

“I need to get back upstairs Sir. I need to be there for Harm when he wakes up.” replied Mac.

“You’re not going anywhere until you finish your dinner.” responded the Admiral. Reluctantly Mac finished her dinner and excused herself before grabbing her things and hurried back upstairs.

“I’m beginning to understand now why Harm loves this woman. She’s a very special young lady.” commented Trish.

“That she is Trish. I don’t completely understand what happen to them, and I was quite surprised to see her with Brumby and Harm with Ms Peterson when they got back from OZ last year.” responded the Admiral before everyone headed back upstairs.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
The Truth be Known : continuespeter21:28:29 03/31/08 Mon

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.