VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Mon, Jan 24 2022, 5:35:32 PSTLogin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12/26/06 9:32:26am
Author: Autumn Woods (confused)
Subject: Needing advice

I have a female southern flying squirrel who is about a year old. She is very bonded & sweet.
we want to get her a companion, is this a good idea or a bad one? Will she have less to do with us if she has company? Will they play & interact with each other? If so, should I get aan adult or baby -- male or female?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> There are two schools of thought, re getting a second flyer ... -- Beverly, 12/28/06 8:28:22am

(There are two schools of thought, re getting a second flyer ...) I highly recommend you present this inquiry at ... the <a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/">NFSA's Messageboard</a>, in order to get more imput into the replies. There are many members with 'multiflyer' families, and you'll get some suggestions on how to make a good choice, for your flyer.

I have had both situations -- a 'solo' flyer, who was very, very bonded, having the added advantage of coming to me as an immature orphan; Molly Kule was a wonderful companion, and never showed any sign of needing a companion of her own species. That said, at the time, I had tons of time to devote to Molly, in the evening, which also contributed greatly to her very close bond. When she matured, she was more independent, but still 'came running' to me when I'd call to her.

When Molly died (a horrible accident, Molly was struck by a closing door, which killed her), I then purchased two juvenile (weaned) flyers. They bonded well to me, mostly because I took the time, every evening, to spend with them, and also slept in 'their room', but also had each other, for company, when I could not be that attentive to them. However, while they are very friendly with me, it's a bit more like being a part of their playground, than being their 'closest friend', as it was with Molly.

Again, please visit and register as a messageboard member (free), to get more ideas on the differences between a solo and multi flyer household. You might also want to present this inquiry at the two other voy flyer messageboards, where you'll get much quicker, and far more, replies:

<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://voy.com/55490/">For Flyers Only</a>

<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://voy.com/81231/">Flying Squirrel Fancier</a>

> I have a female southern flying squirrel who is about
>a year old. She is very bonded & sweet.
>we want to get her a companion, is this a good idea or
>a bad one? Will she have less to do with us if she has
>company? Will they play & interact with each other? If
>so, should I get aan adult or baby -- male or female?

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.