VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: Requirements to move from one level to another

Author:
Boston Feis Dad
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:24:25 02/10/17 Fri

Does anyone know of a place where I can find New England specific requirements for movement between levels? Sometimes you see specifics on some of the syllabi, but I was wondering if there was one place with all rules and requirements.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: http://idtana.org/NAFC%20REGIONAL%20GRADE%20RULE.pdf

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:48:50 02/10/17 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Is there anything else that has the complete "rules" that are frequently discussed on these boards? Rules like "these aren't rules, only guidelines", "you actually have until the end of the calendar year to move up in grades", "a prelim first expires after a couple of years and you have to start over"...

Author:
would really love some clarification
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:20:32 02/11/17 Sat

since all the schools seem to go by different rules. And please don't tell me to ask my TC, LOL, I go by what my TC says to do but it's puzzling to my dancer when she's told by other dancers from different schools that she's breaking the rules by not moving up in grades because their TCs tell them something different. My dancer will continue to follow our TC but I'm curious

[> [> Subject: What, specifically, are you seeking clarification on? It seems like this is not an abstract question and there is something in particular you want to know. Why don't you just ask it here?

Author:
Don't be coy or vague
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:18 02/11/17 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: Sorry, thought I was pretty clear, was not meaning to be coy or vague. I listed three examples of things that are not in the rules in the link provided but which I have seen on this board in particular several times over the past few years. I was asking if there was any official clarification that these things that I mentioned are true.

Author:
PP
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:22 02/11/17 Sat

For example, the rules in the link provided state that Novice is open to "Competitors who have placed
1st, 2nd, or 3rd, in an adv.
Beginner category & have
never placed 1st in Novice." That, to me, would seem to indicate that Novice is NOT open to dancers who HAVE placed first in Novice. Yet I have seen people state that this is only a guideline and that it is up to the TC to move or not move even if the dancer has placed first multiple times. I was asking if there was somewhere where this extra information, that this is only a guideline or that the dancer has until the end of the calendar year, is available from NAIDC or some other governing body. I don't care particularly either way but it is a little confusing.

[> [> Subject: Idk if the rules are online, but our very rule-compliant TC has often updated her students on the rules after regional meetings. That Nov rule means you can't compete in a particular Nov dance if you earned a Nov 1st in it in the prior calendar year. You are free to stay in Nov and win all the 1sts you can in the same year. Some TCs used to keep dancers in Nov in all dances until they had 1sts in all. This is no longer allowed and hasn't been for over 10 years. What is up to TC's discretion is

Author:
old mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:26:02 02/12/17 Sun

whether to move the dancer up immediately after getting a first in say the Novice Reel, or to keep the child there through December 31 to earn many firsts. Our TC is a firm believer in the latter. One first could be a fluke, a good day, a generous judge. May not mean you're ready for Prizewinner. So she likes to see many. But even with one she will move you up for the next year. Yes, some other kids will resent this, but honestly, if they can't beat everyone in their comp they don't deserve 1st. Their turn will come.

[> [> [> Subject: To answer your earlier questions, your dd is not breaking any rules by not moving up until January 1st. The dancers who are saying this just want her to move up so they can win. Ignore them. As for prelim firsts, they do not expire. The confusion may come from the fact that open champ dancers can move back to prelim if they haven't placed after 2 years. It may interest your dd and others to know that

Author:
old mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:36:25 02/12/17 Sun

a PW dancer need never move up if they don't wish to. It's the only grades level you can stay in forever if you wish, even if you have dozens of 1sts. Most PWs can't wait to get to Prelim but it's completely optional. Also some TCs move a nonplacing prelim back to PW for awhile, then give them another try at prelim. This usually causes all kinds of resentment but is perfectly legal.

[> Subject: Thank you, old mom, for the additional info

Author:
PP
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:54:45 02/13/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: You are most welcome. Feel free to ask questions anytime. That's one of the things this board is for.

Author:
old mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:53:19 02/13/17 Mon

[> Subject: Are firsts in Novice required to move up to PW? Is this ever left up to teacher discretion or is that considered a big no-no?

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:10 08/25/17 Fri

[> [> Subject: Why would you even want to do this though? If dancer can't win in Novice, they won't do well in PW, and being in PW doesn't get you anything extra like solos at Oireachtas.

Author:
Let kids move up when they're ready
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:22:46 08/25/17 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Yes! but just curious about the general rule. Absolutely agree that if you can't place in Nov, consistent placements in PW and later levels won't happen

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:49:54 08/26/17 Sat

[> [> Subject: Here is my experience, have seen dancers moved up levels because they just can't get that last first, for example, in sj. Now they dance new level, eventually get their firsts in all dances, except that one again (continued inside)

Author:
my experience
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:57:55 08/26/17 Sat

Once you get to champs, that sj that dancer could not master is now worth half your score. If you can't learn the basic sj and place first in it in ab, nov or pw, it will come back to bite you in champs. It could be the timing, the grace, the rythm, but whatever it is, if it isn't mastered in the lower levels, it will never be mastered. Have seen it happen, dancer gets discouraged and usually quits when they see no results in prelim. I realize this doesn't happen for all who skip, but have seen so many run the same course.

[> [> [> Subject: Thank you for this reply. All of this makes solid sense. n/t

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:14:32 08/26/17 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: Agree! When they are young - it definitely can happen they they are better at certain dances. Which is fine when you are racking up the firsts! But they have to be solid at all of them.

Author:
Old mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:24 08/27/17 Sun

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.