VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: Dance school recommendations near Boston College?

Author:
Needs to be easy to get to.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:19:54 07/22/17 Sat

Champ dancer, really want to continue competitive dancing in college, but need something easy to get to from BC. I am not from the area. I see the Sullivan school online. Is this a good school? Competitive? Or is there a closer option (or farther but easier to get to by T? Thanks!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: One of O'Shea Chaplin's locations is a 10 minute drive or easy T commute to from BC.

Author:
More inside
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:56 07/22/17 Sat

Dancer would have to travel a little further to some of the locations, but I bet people would be very helpful in getting them to class as OSC has always been one of the most college-friendly schools in the region. They're definitely one of the most competitive in the Boston area, more so than the one you posted or others that come up in the search for that area. Also make sure to check out BC's Irish dance club, could be another great experience for your dancer in addition to their dance school.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Thanks for the information!

Author:
Looking forward to it!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:12:31 07/22/17 Sat

[> Subject: One of O'Shea Chaplin's locations is a 10 minute drive or easy T commute to from BC.

Author:
More inside
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:17:10 07/22/17 Sat

Dancer would have to travel a little further to some of the locations, but I bet people would be very helpful in getting them to class as OSC has always been one of the most college-friendly schools in the region. They're definitely one of the most competitive in the Boston area, more so than the one you posted or others that come up in the search for that area. Also make sure to check out BC's Irish dance club, could be another great experience for your dancer in addition to their dance school.

[> [> Subject: My opinion of OSC was not high after their past shenanigans, but your post certainly lowered it even more.

Author:
unimpressed Bostonian
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:42:16 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: Let's keep the bashing out of it please

Author:
The response above was friendly and helpful.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:37 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> [> [> Subject: Actually, the response above had bashed the other school mentioned in this thread, which is not something I consider friendly and helpful.

Author:
board reader
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:16:52 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: I am not in any way involved with OSC, was trying my best to answer the person's question honestly but respectfully.

Author:
AP
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:59:40 07/23/17 Sun

[> Subject: School

Author:
Xxx
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:44:56 07/22/17 Sat

Goulding is a great competitive school. Amazing teams. Small enough to you will be noticed in class, but big enough that it is successful. Classes are in Medford

[> [> Subject: Thanks for the info...is it accessible by T?

Author:
Away from home, no car. Don't want to break the bank with Uber.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:01:32 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: Yes and no

Author:
More inside
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:07:51 07/23/17 Sun

BC is on the Green Line of the T; Medford on the Red and Orange Lines. The only places to change lines are downtown, so you'd be looking at a long ride into Park Street on the Green Line and then a long ride into Medford after changing lines.

Strictly from a busy-college-student perspective, you probably want to stick closer to Newton, Chestnut Hill, Allston-Brighton,and Wellesley as places to look for schools. I'd recommend Sullivan, OSC (they have a class in the Allston-Brighton area), and Hansen-Keohane. Harney unfortunately is too far away without a car, and Kieran Jordan isn't affiliated with CLRG.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Thank you all, it is pretty much how we figured...wish it was easier...

Author:
Any TC want to start classes on campus? 😆
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:58:36 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: It is doable. BC shuttle runs to the the Green line D train which is the fastest. Take it to North Station and then Medford is one stop on the commuter rail. I'm not sure how well it works in reverse though.

Author:
:-)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:49 07/23/17 Sun

The hard part is that not all schools that are closer are more accessible because suburban Boston quickly becomes tough to navigate via public transportation. devote a day or two to scoping it all out when you arrive for orientation or move in.

[> Subject: I believe that you can take the Cleveland Circle bus to Forest Hills and then a bus to Walpole Center if you wanted to go to Harney. The commuter rail from South Station also goes to Walpole Center. I don't know if it's feasible with the T schedule and it is a distance but definitely worth looking into!

Author:
☘😀
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:44:04 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> Subject: Bus from forest hills to Walpole takes close to an hour and only comes once an hour. Tried to do that commute and wouldn't recommend it. Pretty easy drive if you have a car, but public transportation is not very good in the suburbs.

Author:
Q
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:41:55 07/24/17 Mon

[> Subject: Another thing to try is reaching out to current BC Irish Dance members and see if any dance with local studios and would want to carpool.

Author:
Maybe that would broaden options
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:22 07/23/17 Sun

[> [> Subject: OR, see if any Newton/Brookline/Wellesley/Watertown dance parents would be willing to give you a ride in exchange for gas money, tutoring, sitting....

Author:
Second this idea
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:06:26 07/24/17 Mon

[> Subject: This Q was asked before. Scroll down to see those answers as well. The main issue is that even if a school is not far "as the crow flies". It takes forever to get there by public transportation. Another issue is safety. If class lets out at 9:00 or 10:00 pm, you may not want to walk to a bus stop alone. If possible, find other BC dancers to ride with and share the cost of ubers.

Author:
Dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:46 07/24/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: Maybe we can find an enterprising tc who wants to give classes on campus😁

Author:
Bueller?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:54:45 07/24/17 Mon

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.