VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: See inside

Author:
Former dancer, now a guidance counselor!
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 05:33:48 08/02/17 Wed
In reply to: TIA 's message, "What schools in New England are most friendly to college-aged and beyond dancers?" on 12:32:03 07/31/17 Mon

Roughly by area:

Maine: Stillson is the ONLY school in the entire state. Maine is the biggest state in NE so unless your dancer brings a car, this would be hard to work out.

NH: Most of the population and the dance schools are in the southern/southeastern part of the state. But again, lack of public transportation means a car would need to factor into plans. Murray is probably the best-known but there's also McDonough-Grimes and McGonagle. Don't know much about these schools but if your dancer is thinking NH you could call them. Nothing near Dartmouth College as far as I know.

Vermont: McFadden is the only school in the state, classes in Colchester only. They USED to have classes in Middlebury which would work out really nicely with Middlebury College, since Middlebury is a really walkable, small, friendly college town. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

Connecticut I second the rec for SRL-- I know they're friendly to college and older dancers. Shamrock is near Hartford but not sure about public transportation options there. Unfortunately looks like nothing near Yale without a car. Brennan-Lucey is a newer school but has classes in Fairfield-- I think younger teachers in general would be more sympathetic to the needs of college-age dancers.

Massachusetts: McInerney is an excellent school in Worcester which would be compatible with Holy Cross, WPI, Clark, or Assumption (all excellent colleges, too). Unaware of any schools convenient to Amherst/Williams/Northamption.

Boston is obviously going to be the location that gives you the most choices. A few threads below is one specific to BC that would also apply to Brandeis, Wellesley, Babson, and Bentley, since all are in the same area and on the green line of the T. Sullivan and OSC are your best bets here. I'd add BU into that since OSC's classes are in Brookline and convenient to BU. OSC would also be good if you're looking north of the city, I'm thinking Merrimack specifically but also Gordon and Endicott.

Downtown (Northeastern, Wentworth, Simmons, Emmanuel), you'd be looking at T line transfers but OSC and Forbes would probably be your best best. Forbes is in Quincy and accessible by the Red Line-- so would probably be a great fit with Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Eastern Nazarene, and Curry.

There are loads of schools on the south shore but Haley is probably the best fit in terms of experience/friendliness to college-age dancers and proximity to local schools. They have locations in Whitman (there is a commuter rail stop in Whitman) and Canton. A car would be necessary here, though. Dunleavy Boyle Bremer and Connolly both have a few college-age dancers but this is not really their focus.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: ^^Nice list. Other than Boston, basically every school in New England is going to require you to have a car. A few additional: Santacroce School is close to Connecticut College, and has a few OC college dancers. Clann Lir is close to Salve Regina in Newport. Honestly, with a car, most things are "close" in New England.

Author:
HTH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:41:48 08/02/17 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Would add Keane O'Brien in Braintree, a short bus ride on the 230 or the 236 from the Braintree T station (red line from Boston)

Author:
Another Boston option
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:40:34 08/02/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: What South Shore schools have college students?

Author:
DD looking in MA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:58:26 08/02/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Clann Lir. Haley. Forbes as far as I know, Dunleavy. Proto Casano? Not a complete list by any means.

Author:
College dancers are amazing.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:02:23 08/02/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: WOW, any reason you gave an extremely narrow listing of Connecticut schools when there are so many good ones to choose from?

Author:
???
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:25:31 08/03/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: WOW, the poster, who I do not know, was kind enough to post what she knows of NE schools. Nowhere in that post do I see anything claiming that this is a comprehensive listing. She seems to be simply and generously sharing what she knows. If you know of other ID schools not listed that welcome senior dancer transfers and are located close to college campuses, why don't you post the information instead of just criticizing someone else's contribution?

Author:
hmmm?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:26:30 08/03/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Why are you so defensive?

Author:
Hmmmmm?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:24:37 08/04/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I'm not defensive at all. I don't know the helpful poster and I don't know you, the unhelpful, critical poster. I just hate seeing someone attack someone who was clearly trying to help. Especially since you offered no help at all yourself.

Author:
hmmm?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:54 08/04/17 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: http://www.neidt.org/connecticut

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:35:02 08/04/17 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: WOW yourself

Author:
OP
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:36:09 08/04/17 Fri

I'm not FROM Connecticut. Sorry I don't know all the schools there as well as MA and NH. Once you get down to southweastern CT you run into a lot of MAR schools based out of New York City anyways. I tried to go with schools that I personally knew near colleges in Connecticut that attract a lot of out-of-New England students.

I listed more schools in one reply than anyone else on this thread did. I was trying to help by answering the original post to the best of my ability. If you want to read something sinister into that, go ahead. Or, you know, you could try and do something useful like add your own recommendations.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.