VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: We are doing fewer as we are having to redirect entry/overnight costs toward paying for overnights for college tours. We are being very selective of those we do and are going out of region to have different judges. Tired of the same NE judges at each feis.

Author:
Prioritizing
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:32:18 08/15/17 Tue
In reply to: Its too bad 's message, "Are we starting to see a turn in feiseanna? (more inside)" on 05:06:54 08/15/17 Tue

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I'm wondering if it's time to leverage resources across schools (more inside)

Author:
Could we just need a change in approach?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:06:41 08/16/17 Wed

If schools partnered to rent one venue across a Saturday and Sunday and shared good stages and out of region judges could it turn things around? Each day could be branded a separate feis. The costs for out of region adjudicators could be shared and it would potentially draw more out of region competitors who are looking for a double feis weekend to make it worth the drive.

Maybe it's time for schools/feis committees to look to partner versus cancel. I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of hosting a feis, or the challenges feis committees face.

Just throwing out an idea versus a complaint. I hate to see what has made our region great (feis availability) go by the wayside.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: NE already has several double-feis weekends, and while they do not share a venue they almost always team up to hire judges and split their travel expenses. I'm not sure sharing a venue would produce any additional savings since these are normally rented by the day.

Author:
longtime feis volunteer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:21:37 08/16/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Hmm. That might be true for schools, but for hotels, Sunday ballroom costs are often discounted quite a bit if both days are taken - Saturdays are a bigger day for hotels so if you book the weekend it's a bonus for them (plus a 2-day event will normally mean more overnight guests for the hotel). Might be worth looking into

Author:
Former event planner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:39:42 08/16/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Since many venues in NE use schools, I wonder if that would reduce costs even further.

Author:
Venue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:10:48 08/16/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: I like this idea. Other regions do this (we've done double-feis weekends in Texas a few times). While we do have some double feis weekends (actually very few anymore that are BOTH NER feises as opposed to MAR/NER feises--i.e. O'Rourke/Shamrock), there is not a lot of coordination between them. They are sometimes in different states altogether (CT and MA) or across the state (McInerney/Forbes last Fall). There is no real pooling of resources as the poster suggests, which would be MUCH better.

Author:
Great idea.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:42:23 08/16/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: Our experience with double-feis weekends in other regions is that it is in one venue and judges are assigned champs one day and grades the next so you don't get them 2 days in a row; in NE almost certain to have the same judges 2 days in a row

Author:
just our experience
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:17:27 08/16/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Yes--as it now stands--one feis in CT and one in MA--double feis weekend but same judges at both feises. The way you describe it, they COULD actually switch the same set of judges so that champs would get two different sets of judges. Such a good idea.

Author:
Would love to see this
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:39 08/16/17 Wed

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.