VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: Oireachtas room booking is epic fail. Best of luck if your kid dances 17th!

Author:
Blech
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:43:21 08/28/17 Mon

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: How fast did rooms go?

Author:
Just driving in
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:14 08/28/17 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: It took seconds. And Marriott simply has no up if you said 16th

Author:
Yay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:02:06 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: There are other options, outside of the block, at cheaper rates so I'm certain people will be able to stay somewhere. We are Hampton Inn, a half-mile walk, with free parking and kitchen for $135 and that is including the taxes.

Author:
a little effort w better results
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:58:27 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Hilton Hartford has rooms

Author:
Dance mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:02:54 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: I booked at Hampton Inn on Pitkin St in East Hartford but someone from our dance school said it's a scary area. Can anyone comment who lives locally? Same distance as block hotels but over the river

Author:
??
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:05:06 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: Pitkin street isn't awful, but it's not the best. It's next to some major businesses but at night, it can be a little more sketchy. Try Glasonbury, Manchester, Rocky Hill. More inside

Author:
Hartford Native
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:12:59 08/28/17 Mon

Glastonbury and Manchester you will come in on Rt 84 or Rt 2 depending on where you stay. There are lots of places to eat around there and things to do if you have a free day in between and are doing teams. Both are about 15 minutes away.
Rocky Hill also has nice hotels to stay on the Silas Dean highway and lots of food, etc. Again, about 10/15 minutes away. You will come to hartford via Rt 91. In Hartford, plan to either be on the lookout for the garage or make a few turns to get back to where you need to be. But it's not too bad - just bump down a block and make a square to get back where you need to go.
Any other questions, just leave them here and I will try to answer them - or anyone else who is around. I'm a hartford native, so I will try to do as best as I can.

[> [> [> Subject: Thank you, super helpful!

Author:
Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:35:28 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: Farmington

Author:
Local mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:14:54 09/09/17 Sat

Farmington has many hotel options, one being right near the West Farms Mall and very close to the highway.
There is also a Marriot, Homewood Suites and a few others that I cant remember off the top of my head(althogh I drive by almost everyday!). Farmington, depending on time you are driving to Hartford, is a 10-20 minute ride.
There is also a hotel scheduled to open soon in West Hartford near LOTS of shopping and restaurants. It is called Delmar.
Good luck to your dancer and hope you enjoy your stay in Central CT...theres lots to do outside the city!!

[> Subject: There seemed to be a delay, we couldn't get into the system for about 5 mins and then we were able to book a room.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:21:39 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Agree. I got in at the Hilton but was furious at how badly the Marriott site operated. Should be fun with 2 kids dancing at different times and being a 15 min walk from "our" hotel.

Author:
CT Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:23:12 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: After years of doing this, I know not to panic in the first five minutes if it says the block is full. Most blocks don't seem to open until 5 minutes later. At 5 after we got into the Mariott with no trouble (and the Hilton--was about to book that when Marriott opened).

Author:
oldtimer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:37:59 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Anyone know how far the walk is from Hilton to convention center?

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:02:10 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: the convention center site says it is a 15 minute walk from the hilton - http://www.ctconventions.com/visitors/lodging/

Author:
gh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:14 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Thanks

Author:
Op
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:25 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Sh*t show. Got through to central reservations was almost done and got hung up on :(

Author:
Frustrating
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:35 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Complete chaos -Again!

Author:
Homeless in Hartford
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:04:58 08/28/17 Mon

Why can the the New England Oireachtas committee not get their act together? I logged into the Marriott within minutes of noontime and the rooms were already gone. I called the Marriott (I am a rewards member, too). Absolutely nothing. How is it possible that the entire hotel is sold out in under 5 minutes? The Marriott reservations line told me booking was supposed to be done via phone not online for Oireachtas rate. Where was that information? Once again-complete chaos. In my line of work I attend conferences all of the time. Thousands of people attending from all over the world and I have Never had a glitch. Only issues with the IDTANA - They need to hire conference professionals because they are completely clueless!

[> [> Subject: Sorry you had a tough time. Similar here except I bailed on Marriott within 20 minutes and got Hilton and friend got Homewood. But 16th was impossible at both of those. DD dances Sat so we're good and will drive in early Friday or bunk with more fortunate friends to be there to support school.

Author:
Is it me or are there way more dancers than rooms on Friday?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:18:28 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: This is just a guess, so don't jump all over me. Many of the older dancers in our school do the hair, make-up and warm-ups for the younger dancers. Way too many for TC to do by herself. That being said, they would book rooms Thursday, even though they don't dance until Saturday.

Author:
maybe?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:03 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: That's exactly our situation. DD is a mentor to the younger dancers in our school. She not only wants to support them but does hair for as many as possible. Hard to do hair for a dancer scheduled at 8 am when you are almost three hours away. But we will share with friends on Thursday which is fine.

Author:
Old mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:03:25 08/28/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: I bet because it's a longer drive from MA a lot would rather just stay Thursday night. My guess is they add more rooms to Thursday

Author:
Still frustrated
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:22:19 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Never ending NE nonsense. When will they get it right?

Author:
no nay never
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:42:53 08/28/17 Mon

[> Subject: Here is another perspective: The region does not require anyone to book in the block, leaving you free to book elsewhere. And knowing many will, they are not responsible for having to find rooms for everyone in attendance. You would crab if it was mandatory and you crab because you all did not get into host.

Author:
They will never make you happy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:33:31 08/29/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Glad it's not mandatory, but if the block sells out within minutes as it does every year then clearly there's a much bigger demand for rooms than what the region is setting up. As others have said, other groups/conferences/events manage this process less painfully. Hotels put an end-date on a block rate so that they can release unsold rooms back to the general public.

Author:
We need a bigger block
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:28:45 08/29/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: I'm from another region,& most ppl are staying 10-15 minute walk, or short shuttle ride or drive, away. also, overseas majors we end up taking a cab on practice day & dance day

Author:
Hotels stingy with blocks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:52:36 08/29/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: I do agree that there's a lot of useless angst about getting into host hotel. With 409 rooms going out first to teachers, judges, musicians, etc - obviously not many dancers will get rooms there ! This year there is a higher level of anxiety due to the new location. There's an entire generation of dance families who only know Providence with its many hotels in close proximity, familiar restaurants, and an entire mall adjacent. (More)

Author:
Old NE mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:56:17 08/29/17 Tue

Hartford is uncharted territory for most people. Old-timers - remember Stamford? Now that was a nightmare.... but we survived. Rooms at Hilton were added last night. I know because I was able to book the Thursday that I could not get at noon. I would imagine rooms were added at other hotels as well. Best of luck to everyone attending this year.

[> Subject: Didn't book till today and got a king at Hilton with dancer rate. Keep trying. Someone may cancel.

Author:
Dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:04:13 08/31/17 Thu

[> Subject: Central CT Resident - Tips on where to stay inside!

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:52 09/01/17 Fri

While staying in the block or in Hartford is ideal due to convenience there really isn't THAT many hotels in the Hartford area, and many parts of Hartford can be sketchy - especially at night. East Hartford isn't great either. Manchester in the Buckland Hills area would be a great choice. Many nice hotels, countless restaurant choices, and several shopping areas. It is about a 10 min drive into the city but the parking garage attached to the conference center is large and should have ample parking space. Other places to check out would be Glastonbury, South Windsor, West Hartford, Weathersfield, or Newington. While nothing will really ever come close to the convenience of providence with the large hotels all around and the mall and resturants attached, there could be worse options!

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.