VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: Mandatory team participation

Author:
DM
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 06:09:44 09/07/17 Thu

I know this has been asked before but just want to know what other schools require from solo dancers. Does your school require that your solo dancer participate in teams at Oireachtas?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: No, not required at our school. Many do participate though.

Author:
DM in MA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:53:29 09/07/17 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Required- perhaps unless college age but everyone else is expected to participate.

Author:
Works for our school
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:31:49 09/07/17 Thu

[> Subject: No not required at out school for solo and trad sets... I would think this requirement would make some older kids leave.., maybe too much...

Author:
:)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:40:41 09/07/17 Thu

Plus why should you have to pay additional cost for teams if you do solo

[> Subject: kids who are not in solo would probably just want to do a team... Any Schools just allow you to dance on a team? If my dancers was at the solo level I would want them to focus on themself and own costs if they wanted that. School is hard with dance class and practice in middle school and high school add a team class and extra practice and a dancer will get burned out and possible injured... not a good idea for any school to be mandatory so the school can look good

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:46:16 09/07/17 Thu

dd

[> [> Subject: There are definitely schools that allow teams w/o solos AND solos w/o teams.

Author:
More inside
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:01:03 09/07/17 Thu

For some schools and age groups, there just aren't enough kids to field teams to accommodate everyone. (At my now-retired daughter's old school, for example, one year there were 14 kids total U9 and U10, so enough to do one U10 ceili but not two.) And in the younger age groups, there may be enough dancers to put together a team but only a few (if any) who qualify for solos or have even mastered SPD.

I think schools who are flexible in both directions have it right. Some solo dancers, especially in high school, may not have the time to devote to teams AND prepare for their solo. Younger dancers who aren't in prelim and don't want to do trad set may love being part of a team. Heck, CLRG even has the TMRF license for teachers who just want to do teams-- don't see why it has to be different for kids.

[> Subject: while not technically mandatory, "very strongly encouraged". Doesn't feel like there is much choice. And if you opt out one year, you won't be included in future years.

Author:
Not ideal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:38:07 09/07/17 Thu

[> Subject: It was required at my dd's old school

Author:
more inside
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:40:59 09/07/17 Thu

At my dd's old school, teams was a money maker so every soloist was required to be on a team. Minimum of two teams but some were doing more to fill in on other teams. This was for all majors and every year. They created teams just for the sake of making sure every soloist was on one.

It caused financial hardship for some families of soloists. It is costly to participate on a team with training, different wigs, costume rentals, extra hotel nights etc year after year after year, with no breaks.

If your schedule did not allow an extra weekend day for teams training it did not matter. There were no exceptions. There were also dancers who made team trainings miserable because they hated that they were required and they let everyone around them know at every lesson. That did not matter and it was tolerated by TC because more teams=more money.

It was quantity over quality and frequent injuries from the long team classes. Classes were packed with multiple teams training at once so for some classes the kids spent more time sitting on the floor than working on their dance. Doing it this way meant less payroll with the same amount of income.

New school also requires soloists to do teams if there is one available. They ask dancers who want to be on teams and form their teams with willing dancers. It is not forced and teams are not created for the sole purpose of making every soloist be on a team. Current school has won multiple titles with their teams and soloists. It is a much more balanced approach and healthier for the dancer physically and mentally. The whole school rallies around these dancers and celebrates them. Love our new school

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.