VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: If geography didn't matter and you could go anywhere in NE, what school would you pick and why?

Author:
Thx
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:33:11 10/01/17 Sun

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I'd go to Liam Harney in Walpole, MA. I like the way he susses out each child's strengths and weaknesses, and works with them to showcase the former and correct the latter. I also like that he develops his own choreography instead of depending outside to come up with new steps. The school has successful teams as well as top solo dancers. I wish I had sent my now retired dd there.

Author:
since you asked
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:15:43 10/01/17 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Harvey .. world champion ceili teams and world solo placers ... no doubt.. his dancers move through grades like butter perfect technique

Author:
Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:01:02 10/01/17 Sun

[> [> Subject: Where is Harvey? I'm not familiar with that name.

Author:
curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:55:21 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: ^^Oh C'mon. I think we can all figure out that a typo changed Harney to Harvey.

Author:
Seriously?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:45:03 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: Actually schools are opening all the time. The NEO program listed a few I'd never heard of in my many years of involvement in NE Irish dance.

Author:
legitimate question
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:12:08 11/22/17 Wed

[> Subject: My daughter transferred to Harney when she was in 9th grade-best move we ever made!

Author:
True!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:19:22 10/02/17 Mon

[> Subject: This thread is starting to read like a paid advertisement for a particular school.

Author:
!!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:43:19 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: My thoughts exactly!

Author:
Truth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:33:40 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: I was the first replier. My dd never attended Harney, though she and I both wish now that she did.

Author:
first replier
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:53:21 10/02/17 Mon

[> Subject: I don't think Harney needs to advertise.... I think a lot of people would go to his school if possible

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:09:05 10/02/17 Mon

[> Subject: ..

Author:
IDM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:12:49 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: If being involved with with guilty cheaters is what you want for your children. Winning is not everything

Author:
Not I
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:07:59 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: They were caught, punished & rightfully so, their every move is scrutinized. Spend ur time instead focusing on those that are cheating & haven't been caught.

Author:
jig mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:44:42 10/03/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: What schools are cheating? If there is blatant cheating why aren't the other schools complaining? why aren't they being regularly outed? (coming from someone who abhors cheating in all forms small and large)

Author:
o
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:31:01 10/03/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: If I remember correctly, there were several transfers out of Harney at that time. Several parents did not want to be connected to that environment.

Author:
. . .
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:09:44 10/03/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: I was around at the time and don't remember there being several transfers out of Harney.

Author:
nope
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:54 10/04/17 Wed

[> Subject: I also think that Liam is a fab teacher and choreographer - and although he didn't cheat - I'm disappointed that he appeared to condone it by associating himself & his school with cheaters.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:32:49 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> Subject: My understanding is that he was asked by the region to step in so that the dancers, who were not to blame for their teachers' cheating, would be able to compete. Otherwise I believe the dancers would have been barred from competition for a year. And that would really not be fair to the kids.

Author:
imho
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:56:04 10/02/17 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Couldn't he have just taken the kids (more inside)

Author:
JMHO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:19:29 10/03/17 Tue

without changing the name to HPK and taking the PK teachers along. Had he, it would eliminate any stigma. I agree, he is a fantastic teacher, however, I would not recommend due to the association with PK.

[> [> [> Subject: He saved the teachers.

Author:
X
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:34:15 10/03/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: That's how I see it, too. Used to hold him in the highest esteem. After that, not.

Author:
Those 2 still make me cringe.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:14:47 10/03/17 Tue

[> Subject: Perfectly happy where I am.

Author:
Staying put
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:52:01 10/03/17 Tue

[> Subject: I'd go where dance moms aren't crazy. Does that school exist? Maybe i would move.

Author:
:)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:27 10/03/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Just as soon as you find it the crazies would move in too.

Author:
All bonkers
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:22:29 10/03/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: I've been in this game a long time... and honestly, I've seen just as many "crazy teachers" as "crazy Moms".

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:31:18 11/21/17 Tue

[> Subject: Always that crazy mom that thinks the teacher is the reason their child can't get a 1st,,,blame game we all know some

Author:
ff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:52:09 10/04/17 Wed

[> [> Subject: That mom isn't always crazy, sometime she's spot on.

Author:
Read Outliers.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:10:23 10/04/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Have to agree. We switched schools and it made all the difference for us! Totally different teaching styles at the two schools and the old way was not working for my dd. Finally seeing results for my dd's hard work.

Author:
PM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:08:32 10/10/17 Tue

[> Subject: Murray is a great school. Dancers’ needs are put first and foremost; caring community; and it the competitive results are impressive at every level.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:28:39 10/05/17 Thu

[> Subject: If geography didn't matter, we would go to Kenny.

Author:
Hope that helps
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:19:55 10/06/17 Fri

[> Subject: You have to pick the school that works for your dancer... not everyone wants to compete at Open. Some do other sports and need a teacher that supports this

Author:
dd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:57:22 10/10/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Absolutley agree! My dd does dance to compete but if she didn't and her environment didn't support that we would change.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:11:24 11/21/17 Tue

[> Subject: Harney Academy and Murray Academy are the regions top schools. Run by committed and caring teachers who love the tradition and competition.

Author:
DK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:03:53 11/21/17 Tue

[> Subject: DBB

Author:
Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:00:32 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: ^ That is hysterical and obviously written by a DBB.

Author:
-
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:12 11/21/17 Tue

NT

[> [> [> Subject: What they said!

Author:
Funny
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:40:14 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: How rude and uncalled for! Also people from within our school would never refer to ourselves as DBB. We call ourselves DBBA

Author:
DBBA mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:47 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Don't care for DBBA why do so many leave this school for other smaller schools .. always the ones that don't win for them .. I have an issue with a school like this ... all image .. ho many name changes and logos

Author:
Dd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:00:08 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: If you knew why they most recently changed their name, you would respect them more.

Author:
SS mom, not affiliate with them. I applaud their actions
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:47:24 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Many schools add well known teachers and they don'..t change their name yearly... to reflect it.... are you saying people dont respect the other schools because all the teachers are not named...seems like a name promotion to me

Author:
huh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:52:05 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Don't you have to change the name when a named teacher leaves? Can't keep someone's name on the school who doesn't work there anymore.

Author:
Not sure how someone leaving = name promotion.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:19:48 11/25/17 Sat

[> [> [> [> Subject: SS mom, you have no idea what happened.

Author:
so much drama
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:05:16 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Don't believe all the rumors about this split......

Author:
Here say...no facts
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:42:11 11/23/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: The girls from the other fairly new south shore school were a bit stand offish the hair, make up and tan for a young trad Set dancer was a bit over the top with fake eyelashes.. maybe for open..

Author:
Gg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:05:15 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Anonymously critiquing dancers... Whatever makes you feel better.

Author:
Draw the line
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:53:48 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I'm so happy for you that a thread came up on this board into which you could insert your nasty opinion regarding a young dancer. Hope you feel good about that.

Author:
jealous much?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:22:12 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Nothing to be jealous of my child came in top 5 in this age group...with a school dress and simple make-up.. I think people are for getting what Trade set is about.. maybe it should only be school dresses ...

Author:
aa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:00:32 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: So a Prizewinner Dancer who has worked hard and earned the right to wear a solo dress should be told she must not wear it at this competition as it offends you in some way? Good luck with that..... However I would agree that ANY DANCER who performs a trad set well can and should win the top box, irregardless of what they are wearing.

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:19 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: All the dancers show up, dance their best and feel beautiful. Be happy for all and knock it off with the snark. You are talking about kids. Would you be brace enough to approach these kids and tell them you disapprove of their look to their face?

Author:
Stop judging
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:05:28 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: since you mentioned it......why yes there are people who will go up to a child and parent and critisize their look - happened this weekend to at least 2 of our dancers.....

Author:
some people need a life
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:12:55 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I stand corrected. That's sad to hear. Sorry that happened.

Author:
Thanks for sharing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:26:10 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Some schools only allow trade set dancers to wear a school dress even though the dancers has a solo... the comment was more about the crazy makeup and eyelashes on such a young child... it should be about dancing not looksd or dresses and yes I would have no problem telling someone.. my child made a barbie comment about it.. I think this why they made makeup rules

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:05 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: So you are bragging that you would approach a child to tell them something mean your child said about them?

Author:
WOW
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:55 11/22/17 Wed

You are a mean spirited person!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Keep in mind that in many schools the TCs dictate the look, from brands of tanner and makeup to exact wigs and headdresses to eyelashes. It may have been a choice for this child to lash up or not dance

Author:
Don't be so quick to judge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:24:59 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Glad to hear you have no issue belittling a young child regarding her looks. Your child must be so proud of you. The makeup rules apply to children U10 and it's for no makeup at all. So if a child up to that age was wearing it they should not be. But that's not what you are talking about, right? There is no rule dictating how makeup should be used on a dancer who is allowed to wear it.

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:24 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Which age group? Little ones can't wear makeup?

Author:
Get over it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:35:40 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I sat in trad set room all day on Friday with our dancers. Never saw any dancers in these younger age groups with any make-up on. And didn't notice anyone in the u12 trad sets overly made up either.

Author:
Get off your high horse
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:35:19 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: I too was there, and saw none that were overdone in any of the younger groups. I just think this is the usual mean-spirited person who enjoys anonymously bashing other schools and their kids on the boards. And sadly others are jumping on board trying to say what schools they are without typing the names.

Author:
and we wonder why bullying is so prevalent
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:27:06 11/23/17 Thu

[> [> [> Subject: What school is this.

Author:
Interested
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:18 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Do you mean the one that split off DBBA or the other giant (still somewhat new) SS school?

Author:
Thx
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:21:34 11/23/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: Connolly (former DBBA) were in there school dresses. What’s the other school?

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:39:41 11/23/17 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Oops their

Author:
Grammar police
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:40:59 11/23/17 Thu

[> [> Subject: Have a lovely friend who is almost always on podium and has never changed for a higher spot. Respect dancer and family!!

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:07:30 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: AGREE young Trad set dancers are looking like they are in a beauty pageant.. where are the school dresses

Author:
Annoyed
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:02:06 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Why annoyed, why do you care that another kid wants to glam up?

Author:
Not the trad set police, to each her own
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:11 11/22/17 Wed

[> Subject: Regardless of someone else's actions the Harneys have always had class. I think for the sake of the dancers taking on another location was a problem. Sometimes people need to move on. It's in the past. It had nothing to do with Liam and he will still be known for his great teaching and his success which continues.

Author:
People need to grow up
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:56 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Sorry meant to say *wasn't a problem taking on another location

Author:
^^^
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:05:47 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Well, there were some fishy things at this year's Os for sure

Author:
Just sayin'
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:50 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Go on...

Author:
Wondering
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:21 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> Subject: Um, nope. Sorry. Watched it all this year and have totally lost any respect I ever had for that school

Author:
Teachers think they r above rules
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:48:22 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: What do you mean? Jockeying for position on the podium before they even congratulated dancers? Surely you don't think the dancing is about the kids?

Author:
Me in NE
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:15:19 11/21/17 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: Not sure what you saw, but I do know what I saw in my daughter's competition at awards; gracious winners who congratulated not only their own dancers, but also those in top ten from other schools that they knew as well.

Author:
Give it a rest already
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:46:35 11/22/17 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: There are good and bad behaviors in every school. I'm sure you noticed gracious behavior, I also know I witnessed some not so gracious behavior.....

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:26:08 11/22/17 Wed

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.