VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: What happens when beginner numbers are really small at a feis?

Author:
DM
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:20:55 05/21/18 Mon

There is an upcoming feis with very few beginners either in my kid's age group or the one right above or below. Most of the feiseanna we've been to had at least 10 kids in her group (it's one of the more popular ages for beginners). What happens when there aren't very many, and not many in the nearby age groups either? I wasn't sure since moving up from beginner is based on time and not placement from a competition with a minimum number of competitors.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: See inside

Author:
Experienced dancer/dance mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:49:38 05/21/18 Mon

In order for a placement to "count" for moving up, the competition has to have at least five dancers total. (Obviously, winning first place out of 1, or winning third out of 3, isn't demonstrating anything other than showing up in and of itself, so this rule makes sense.)

Many new dancers, including one of my kids, will spend the full year allowed in beginner, so if a competition has fewer than five dancers it's a non-issue since they weren't planning on moving up based on results anyway. Sometimes, though, if a dancer immediately sweeps the beginner competitions, a TC will want the dancer to move up, as beginner is clearly below the dancer's level. In this case, I'd imagine, not being a TC myself, that they wouldn't advise that based on a small group. (And honestly, as both a parent and former dancer.....what's the rush? I've known FAR too many kids who make it to open before middle school and then completely burn out and quit before high school. Certainly not what I want for my kids!)

The other issue that's relevant to us as parents is that if a few adjacent age groups are really small (like under 5-10 apiece), the feis committee may combine the two groups. This saves time and makes for a more meaningful competition for those who place first. And, since at the beginner levels, they usually end up "placing" around half the dancers (for example, giving first place to the legitimate highest scorer, second place to the next 2-3 dancers regardless of score, and then tying a whole bunch of dancers for third), the larger group doesn't really hurt anyone.....win-win in my opinion!

tl;dr, it ultimately doesn't matter but you need at least five in a group for a first place to count

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Thanks! Do they ever combine more than 2 age groups?

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:06 05/21/18 Mon

[> [> Subject: Sorry, should have answered more fully - thank you for all of that info!

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:59:47 05/21/18 Mon

[> [> Subject: This weekend saw Nov u6, u7, and u8 combined, so it can happen.

Author:
hth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:46:44 05/22/18 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Wow, I see. Thank you!

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:58:24 05/22/18 Tue

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.