VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: A few thoughts about Irish dance. It's long, feel free to scroll past

Author:
Cathy Cody
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 06:24:43 06/13/18 Wed

There always seems to be so much attention paid to the negatives associated with Irish dance, the cost of the costumes, favoritism, politics, keeping up with the latest trends in dresses and wigs, who has the better steps, who is associated with whom, and the list goes on and on. What is rarely highlighted are the positives that Irish dance brings to our lives. Ten years ago today, my then six year old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. It was, and remains, the worst day of my life. What followed was two years of chemotherapy, hospital visits, worry, spinal taps (17), bone marrow pulls (4), and a constant out pouring of support from people both close to us and those we’d barely meet.
My daughter’s dance teacher visited her in the hospital and gave scholarships to my other two daughters. She allowed my daughter to come to dance class when she felt like it and still let her be in the recital even though she had almost no idea what she was doing. Some of the older girls in the school organized a fund raiser for us, several of the parents made meals, donated snacks to the clinic where she got treatment, and drove my daughters to and from class when I couldn’t. All the teachers in the school sent messages of support and helped my family in whatever ways they could. One year when I posted on the message boards about my daughter dancing at the Quassy feis on her 5 year remission date, people I’d never met before came up to me at the feis to congratulate me on her recovery.
That is what Irish dance is all about. People came together to help a family in need, and they’ve done it again and again when misfortune has befallen someone in our school. It is so easy to fall into the negative spiral that comes with competition. I find myself doing it to, believe me. I think it’s important to remember, though, that there is more to life than how well one places in a competition. The first Irish dances were figure dances and were done at family gatherings. Let’s not forget that dance should be joyous and a celebration.
I’m happy to say that my daughter is now 16, has been cancer free for 8 years and is competing in her first NANs this summer. This Father’s Day, instead of being in the hospital, we will be in MA at a feis. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate her recovery.
Thank you, Griffith Academy for being there for my family.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: That's beautiful. I'm so happy your daughter is healthy now and that you had such great support <3

Author:
beginner dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:01:34 06/13/18 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Love this - thank you for sharing.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:11:21 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: Love this. The dancers & families we've met from Griffith have been lovely and it's so nice to read your story. Good luck at NANs!!

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:18:08 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: Thank you for sharing! Good Luck at NAIDC,

Author:
Love all that Irish Dance can be!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:59:58 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: What a lovely message! Best of luck at National!

Author:
MAR DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:18:39 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: This brought tears to my eyes! Congrats to your daughter and family, and good luck at nationals. I agree totally..... my dance family is there for me and my family no matter what. I have 2 dancers, and their best friends are from Irish Dance. Great memories and lots of fun amongst the stress. Will definitely miss it when they are done dancing!

Author:
happymom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:06 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: This is perhaps the loveliest post I have ever seen on the board. I am so happy for you, your daughter and all of your family. I wish her the very best NANS!

Author:
Mod
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:31 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: Needed this today. Thanks for the reminder to cherish it all!

Author:
MA mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:13:44 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: Such an awesome story! Best of luck to your daughter in Orlando, but she’s already a champion!!!

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:04:53 06/13/18 Wed

[> Subject: Thanks

Author:
Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:25:53 06/14/18 Thu

Thanks for sharing your story. It is so much more then trophies and medals. The lifetime of friendships is the best thing that comes out of dance. Good Luck at Nationals! So happy for you.

[> Subject: This is what I mean, I have never met any of you (that I know of) and you are all happy for my kid (who would die if she knew I posted this). Yes, there's competition, and yes, it's good to sometimes fail, but it should be about the friendships. We are very blessed to have so many great friends from dance.

Author:
Cathy Cody
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:04:36 06/14/18 Thu

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.