VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: Moving to Boston, looking for recs on adult-friendly schools

Author:
Boston-Bound
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:22:04 04/23/20 Thu

senior lady (mid twenties) looking to continue dancing once I move. At this point looking for adult scene but maybe open to still competing. Thanks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Welcome! Will you be living within the actual city of Boston, or will you be north, west or south of it? Traffic is atrocious so recommendations would need to factor in your location. I'm putting the link to the Ladies 22+ results from last year's NE Oireachtas inside. Even if you decide against competing, it's a good indicator of which schools have a good group of senior dancers.

Author:
I hope it helps
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:37:38 04/23/20 Thu

http://www.feisresults.com/results2.php?FeisID=169&CompNo=1

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: From my knowledge I believe there is only a few schools that have senior dancers around your area. OSC, Forbes, Kenny, and Haley.

Author:
Hope it works out
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:35:47 04/24/20 Fri

[> Subject: Welcome to the region! We have a really great group of senior dancers in the region. I do strongly encourage you to do your research. There are severeal great schools with seniors but some have bullying issues.

Author:
local
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:07:46 04/24/20 Fri

[> Subject: Bullying? We’re all over the age of 22 here in the senior ladies group. I LOVE our group. Don’t see ANY bullying at a feis or a major. If anything, they’re one of the most supportive group of people I’ve ever met.

Author:
Uncalled for
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:07 04/24/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: That's been our experience too. No bullying, just hardworking dancers supporting each other while juggling careers and/or grad school plus dance. If the poster above you feels bullied, they should change schools because that is not the norm with us older dancers.

Author:
NE sr lady
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:49:38 04/25/20 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: Didn't want to be too specific but maybe need to explain. The bullying happens in-school, not in the group, that's why I encouraged doing the research. Totally agree that this is an amazing group of women. OP- whatever school you end up at, you are going to be very welcomed!

Author:
already left
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:39:46 04/26/20 Sun

[> Subject: Are you looking to do an adult class or champs classes? (more inside)

Author:
Adult Boston area dancer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:13:31 04/27/20 Mon

I think you may find different answers. I have only competed in adults (currently 41yrs old) and found that schools that tend to be strong in champs don't necessarily have strong adult programs. I like to compete - placed 7th in adult trad set last fall - but there's no way I could keep up in a typical champ environment between work and kids. I love my school's adult environment - super supportive no matter what level someone is (from 60+ yr old beginners to 23yr old senior ladies) - but I do think you need to know what type of environment you want to find the best fit.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.