VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: Is it safe to say O will be canceled since in CY

Author:
Min
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:28:08 07/01/20 Wed

Will O be canceled

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Oh I really hope it isn’t! My DD would be devestated!

Author:
Dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:10 07/01/20 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Better than dead. I'm sure people who died would have loved the option of either not dancing or living.

Author:
Idiot PARENTS !!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:13:23 07/06/20 Mon

[> Subject: It's on right now from what I have heard. Probably no teams and solos spaced out. Think positive!!!!

Author:
Hoping
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:09:40 07/02/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: The only way I see that it might go off is with some big restrictions. No teams, no trad sets. A limit on spectators.

Author:
Old mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:54:46 07/02/20 Thu

[> Subject: Positive is the key, modifications can be done. The sky is NOT falling. Let's think outside the box!

Author:
++++
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:02 07/02/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: Problem is that it's hard to think outside the box when the box is always changing. They need to plan and book venue, judges, musicians pretty far in advance, and with ever changing restrictions it's hard to know what will be allowed come November

Author:
virus is ever shifting
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:14:14 07/04/20 Sat

[> Subject: I read on another board that if any region's O is canceled, then all the other 2020 Os lose their qualifier status. This makes sense as it would be unfair for some regions' dancers to be able to become WQs in a year when other regions can't. So it would in essence become a big feis for this one year. I don't think there's much chance that every region is going to have their virus numbers down enough this summer for organizers to feel comfortable letting their Os move forward.

Author:
board reader
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:08:34 07/04/20 Sat

[> Subject: Event not listed at the Connecticut Convention Center.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:54:14 07/04/20 Sat

[> [> Subject: Was it listed there at this time last year? I've never checked that in past years.

Author:
hmmm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:54:34 07/05/20 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: The contract needs to be cancelled around August 3rd or 4th - if not money is lost. Right now it is still on according to friend at the planning agency.

Author:
Hopeful!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:21:11 07/05/20 Sun

[> Subject: Not going to happen to many people from all different states and CT is strict .. how do you plan to get Judges from Cananda and Europe with travel restrictions.. just going to move in with World Qualifiers from last year and Worlds will probably the first big feis back. All other dancers will lose a year my take

Author:
Dd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:25:57 07/05/20 Sun

D

[> Subject: This is our new reality at least for the foreseeable future. We can either bend to it or push forward with some creative thinking to still hold an O whether it is a qualifier or not. These kids need something to look forward to and work for. More inside:

Author:
Let's stick together!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:01:47 07/05/20 Sun

I don't know if anyone from the region looks at these boards or not but as a community we should band together and problem solve so we can push forward. Let's not do teams this year, maybe limit the trad set spots and give each school a limited amount. Cut down on the vendors, cut down on the spectators, one parent per dancer, masks at all times or you will be asked to leave. FORCE people to follow the rules!! Maybe take the seating out of the ballroom and run one competition at a time, speed up the recalls so some can leave if they are done for the day. Stop printing the book, put it online and have us pay for access and print it ourselves if needed. That would save printing costs, long lines and massive paper waste. Judges come from out of region but not out of the country for this year. Raise our registration fees fo this year, I don't know one family at our school that would rather not go than pay a larger fee. At the end of the day everything is a choice and each family has to make the best decision for themselves and family, and if you don't feel comfortable coming then stay home. If your kid was a qualifier that was supposed to dance in Dublin then they should be able to keep their spot for 2021. Our kids are living in a reality that as kids we all probably couldn't imagine or handle and they are making huge sacrifices to their education and in some instances their mental health. As a parent my main focus is for my kids to be happy and healthy and ID is a huge part of that.

[> [> Subject: ^^^^I wish you were in charge of O. I really hope someone reads your post.

Author:
All so sensible.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:35:28 07/05/20 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: I've been saying for awhile that we should eliminate TS & teams this year. I realize the main reason we have trad set at the O is to help pay for the event and venue, but it's silly to expose people needlessly who don't really need the O as a qualifier. I've been told this would make the event too expensive but Idk what that cost would be or at what price point the parents draw a line and refuse to pay. One thing is clear; we can't have the same old overcrowded O that we are all accustomed to.

Author:
mom of senior lady
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:22:04 07/05/20 Sun

[> [> Subject: Zone 3 in CT allows for a max of 50 for indoor gatherings. No proposed timeline yet for zone 4. Other NE governors have said no zone 4 until vaccine or effective treatment is available. Hard to imagine cutting back that much, no matter how creatively they think

Author:
Not hopeful
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:48:34 07/06/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: My friend's kids in MA has a 500 person basketball tournament in Milford NH this wknd. Maybe something in NH could be done? No clue about contracts with CT - but can't imagine they aren't able to be broken if CT can't accommodate.

Author:
Feisy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:28:19 07/08/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: If you get very creative and don't allow more than 50 in each ballroom. Each ballroom can be classified as a separate gathering. There are ways to still be in compliance, but it will take work and much reconfiguration.

Author:
will wait to see what happens
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:36:56 07/08/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: I’m wondering about the hotel situation if it is possible. Occupancy likely won’t be back to 100%

Author:
People won’t have anywhere to stay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:35:51 07/09/20 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Current hotel guidance in CT

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:04:15 07/11/20 Sat

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid-19-Knowledge-Base/Hotels

obviously this could change, but this is current guidance on hotel occupancy in CT - a state which, btw, is currently doing the best in the nation as it pertains to Rt.

[> [> [> [> Subject: The paperwork and logistics for such a scenario make it completely impractical.

Author:
realistic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:51:56 07/09/20 Thu

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: If schools are doing it for 1000 kids on a daily basis throughout the nation

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:21:01 07/10/20 Fri

the logistical system should already be partially in place. clrg needs to contract with an org that has already put Covid-19 restrictions in place for schools/sports.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: School is essential; Irish dance is not.

Author:
Nt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:55:47 07/10/20 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yes. School is essential.

Author:
j
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:11:57 07/11/20 Sat

and will also be a proving ground for the strategies that have been put in place to keep kids and teachers as safe as reasonably possible given the essential nature of school.

let's just say those strategies seem to be working (fingers crossed here) - why wouldn't you apply those same basic principles to try to run a modified oireachtas whether on the planned date or pushed to later in the year?

if we lived in the southern region or the western region, this would likely be a definite NO- but we don't- why aren't we even just a little bit hopeful and thinking of how we Can do this vs. just saying No without thinking it through?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I totally agree. There are plenty of sports in our region back to playing and will hopefully continue through the fall. School and sports are completely essential to all children's well being. I hope this happens for our dancers.

Author:
Jigger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:53:36 07/11/20 Sat

[> Subject: How to you plan on getting Judges with travel bans ??? Not going to happen

Author:
Dd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:08 07/12/20 Sun

Dd

[> [> Subject: I believe there is already a planned laid out for this issue. Ask your TC

Author:
all good
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:05:18 07/12/20 Sun

[> [> Subject: We’ll get all the NY judges.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:43:25 07/12/20 Sun

It will be just like a local feis. 🙄

[> Subject: Won’t be enough hotel space

Author:
Sleeping in the car
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:52:49 07/12/20 Sun

[> Subject: Just do by zoom a lot $$

Author:
Dd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:04:47 07/12/20 Sun

:)

[> Subject: Have heard from TC that the planning committee is hard at work to make O happen, and it really sounds like it will which we are grateful for. As for hotels, most of us won't need to be there for 3 nights this year and there are many many hotels within a reasonable driving distance of the convention center.

Author:
Staying Positive
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:33:08 07/13/20 Mon

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.