[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: I feel the same way. I'm appalled by all these crazy dance mommies who are not at all worried about their own family's health and are more than willing to put their TCs and all the judges at risk at something so frivolous. They need to take a good look at what just happened at Notre Dame.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:20:23 08/21/20 Fri
In reply to: It’s a pandemic... 's message, "Really quite concerned at how many people are more worried about holding a competition that about the health and safety of dancers, parents, and judges. We absolutely should not be holding a large competition right now. End of story." on 19:57:03 08/20/20 Thu

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[> [> [> Subject: Perspective

[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:12:26 08/22/20 Sat

Notre Dame is dealing with what most on campus college programs are battling as it pertains to CV-19 transmission. Most of the cases are being linked to off-campus gatherings that were not following guidelines. Not much masking and physical distancing at the average college party, if I remember correctly (after all these years..). These are still kids, even if they are 18+ and they are taking risks- as is expected- it isn't surprising AT ALL.

Comparing the above to an Oireachtas that will have mask requirements, volume requirements/limitations and other protocols in place to protect adjudicators, parents and children is not a fair comparison to what is happening at any college campus- or even as a comparison to plans being made in other parts of the country that are blowing up with Covid-19 cases (states with no mask mandates, etc).

We have been very fortunate as a region that most seem to implementing basic precautions (masks/physical distancing) - and the positivity rates and Rt data reflect that, particularly when you look at rates for Community spread.

This competition won't be held if the rates go up - we all know that -but why not put some plans in place that mirror what is happening in our region? Using data driven plans that implement proven protocols is how we get back to living within the confines of this virus.

And, don't forget -and I don't mean this flippantly or in a mean way - we all have the choice to not attend if we feel that the protocols in place aren't stringent enough to provide protection. I know that I will be looking closely at plans/syllabus, and will absolutely not let my kid go if it seems this isn't being taken seriously.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: New author here (not the AP) - I appreciate the intelligence and cohesiveness of your viewpoint. You aren't demanding and moaning - so thank you for that. Question inside:

[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:15 08/22/20 Sat

I also agree that the university (or dance class or oireachtas) can do it's utmost to create and mandate a safe environment, and that all of the attendees are compliant with masking etc.

And I agreed that outside of official class/event hours, families will take it from there in terms of deciding to mask/not, and kids will take it several steps further by taking off masks when hanging with friends (unsupervised), and again, that's their choice.

My question is: what happens when a family notifies their teacher and/or the oireachtas chairpersons on Day Two of the oireachtas that they are symptomatic/tested positive? What is the procedure? Where we live, it is to shut the event down for 48 hours.

That means the event goes unfinished, and everyone who did their best to stay safe spends all that money to attend and still loses the chance to participate.

And yes, we have the choice to attend or not. What happens if enough people don't register/attend, and the event can't pay the bills?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Not sure but...

[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:46 08/22/20 Sat

I guess it depends on how the committee chooses to manage the event- part of the requirement for attendance could be proof of a negative Covid-19 test (assuming test availability is robust in November- this would have to be part of the discussion) and, possibly, even a "day of" screening tool (temp checks at ballroom location/symptom report).

More volunteers than normal would be needed in general to wrangle people particularly in this scenario. A little off topic, but I hope the committee asks for help throughout the region with this - there are probably a lot of people that would volunteer in order to get this off the ground.

In my area, a positive test (not just being symptomatic) as well as known close contact (considered being within 6ft of a Covid-19 positive person for more than 15 min) are flags to quarantine.

The sad fact is that the turnaround time for most Covid-19 testing is anywhere from 2-3 days - and that is being pretty generous.

IF a Covid-19 negative test is the starting point, the likelihood of having a positive test come back in the midst of a 2-3 day event is highly unlikely -though there could certainly be the potential for contact tracing needed afterwards.

So that aside. Say there Is a positive test connected to an attendee...Hopefully the committee will use a cohorting approach (absolutely doable if numbers are restricted and movement is restricted/monitored during the day- think of it as treating the O like a school day in the 2020-2021 school year - (sigh)). Using this method you can dramatically limit the number of people affected. Would it stink to be affected- absolutely. But it would need to be something that is laid out as a "what if" scenario in communication to parents before fees are paid.

As you mentioned, the facility guidelines in the state where it is held would define what spaces would need to be shut down/cleaned and that could impact scheduling significantly. If we hold it in a state that requires a 48 hour shut down for the full facility - well, that's a real problem as you mentioned...and a full stop. Maybe try to avoid that state altogether in terms of planning. I'm not well versed in facility regs in all the NE states- that would require some fact finding.

As for the event running without enough attendees...it could happen, for many reasons - health concerns And financial concerns particularly because with fewer attendees, the cost will likely be higher per dancer. I would imagine TCs could gather intel from their schools as to who would and would not choose to attend based on guidelines presented to the families as to expected protocols and "what if" scenarios.

Once the committee has a general number of expected attendees, they could then make a general decision as to whether or not it is even in the ballpark of being a break even event -and if it is- they should request registration fees that would be refunded if event is cancelled due to statewide cancellation (as I believe this would relieve them of their contractual obligations).

It would also probably be a good idea to allow late registrations this year, as people may be more inclined to go if positivity rates remain low into the fall, though there still needs to be a capped number of attendees based on facility and scheduling capacities.

Again....The committee would need to be very specific about the what-ifs - and particularly about what would happen if a person tests positive for Covid-19 (during the event or afterwards) while also including the facility/state guidelines for full closure or shut-down of event. Waivers regarding agreement to same should be signed and returned with payment.

This could certainly affect attendance rates. But everyone would know what to expect..."if this, then that"...and with clear communication, we can all conduct a viable personal risk assessment before we choose to go (and pay).

All this to say - It is more than likely the environment around us may shut this all down closer to the date - and it should be shut down if the community positivity rates start climbing. And, in addition, we know we live in a region that won't hesitate to shut it ALL down (thankful for this). I think we will get a feel for how far the planning should go once schools are open for a couple of weeks- if things are spiraling out of control...well, that's the answer, I suppose.

Maybe we should just lose hope- but maybe not- I wish we could at least plan for a positive outcome with contingency plans in place- if it all goes south we've at least tried to make something work- I'm sure others will disagree- and that's ok too- we are all doing the best we can with what we have. :)

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: great answers - you and I seem to be a lot alike

Pen pals?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:56:03 08/22/20 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Looks like multiple states in NE have low gathering numbers (CT, MA, RI) Maybe there is a chance that another state might be able to take on Oireachtas but you have to understand, we are most certainly not the only group looking for a new venue. Doubtful that this rabbit will come from the hat.

[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:33:02 08/27/20 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I expect there will be some increases due to the hordes of college students currently descending on Massachusetts, many of whom are disregarding calls for them not to host large parties. I'd like to be wrong about this but I don't think it's likely that we'll have a NEO in 2020. It's sad because if everyone would just comply with the Covid guidelines for a few weeks we could knock this virus down.

it's needless disappointment
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:25:10 08/27/20 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I don't think we will have the O we are used to.

[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:32:52 08/28/20 Fri

I think we will find a venue, but won't have teams- may not have trads- won't have award ceremonies as we are used to. It won't have the same feel as before, but that's to be expected in the year of Covid-19.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.