VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]
Subject: What other schools were invited to the Murray feis this past weekend?

Author:
DM
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:39:43 08/31/20 Mon

Just local or all of New England?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Murray Feis

Author:
E
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:08 08/31/20 Mon

This was simply a Murray class feis with the majority of dancers being from Murray Academy. There were a few feis friends joining in. It was a great opportunity for dancers to get out and perform in front of judges while getting some feedback. It was not a real feis with results that “counted”.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: How were ‘friends’ invited? Did Murray contact their schools/TCs or was this fine peer to peer?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:25:21 09/01/20 Tue

#transparency

[> [> [> Subject: Yes, surely it had to go through TCs?

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:03:24 09/01/20 Tue

Would need their permission.

[> [> [> Subject: Why do you care? I hope more TCs (including my dancer's school) will do the same thing. Or figure out how to hold a feis.

Author:
GL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:22 09/01/20 Tue

[> Subject: I think only specific schools (Brady and Sullivan Steward that I know of) were invited. That's why it was labeled Invitational Feis

Author:
from what I've seen on social media
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:17:07 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: Why not just post if just trying to iron out kinks and keeping ID alive? Why so hush hush. Let’s get on with it.

Author:
GB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:17:01 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Um, there were posts on social media. Not sure that's considered "hush hush"

Author:
CT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:45:56 09/01/20 Tue

[> Subject: Sensing some negativity or jealousy here...FWIW - why not just be appreciative that Murray is trying to keep Irish dance going during this time? Maybe Murray is working out kinks

Author:
Author2
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:43:30 09/01/20 Tue

in safety by doing small events so we can all get back to Feising sooner than later. NH is perfect for competitions and if your TC doesn't have a relationship with Murray or isn't interested in contacting Murray to help make more of these happen, then sorry. But honestly think of how petty this is starting to sound...

[> [> Subject: Totally agree. They seem like all they are trying to do is keep the dancers motivated and competitive. Good on them for doing that for their dancers. Doesn’t seem like many others in the region are making that effort.

Author:
Worry about yourself
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:16:15 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: This! Exactly this! Our region is doing nothing to keep this sport alive. Disappointing. Good for Murray.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:49:46 09/01/20 Tue

[> Subject: We all want to return to normal...

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:57:12 09/01/20 Tue

However, there are different perspectives. Does one think a by- invitation-only event help keep dancers motivated or make the majority feel excluded? I applaud schools for their dedication and creativity during the pandemic. They often host similar events and split the costs of adjudicators, space etc. (like grade exams). The perception, right or wrong, is that it was kept on the down-low intentionally.

[> [> Subject: That’s ridiculous. It is not their responsibility to keep other schools dancers motivated or their schools informed. Yes we all want to compete and if we could feis we would. I’m sure they feel the same way and since it looks like all the fall feises have been cancelled they tried something different in what looks like is prob their own studio. If you’re feeling frustrated talk to your TC and get something going don’t blame another school for doing their own thing.

Author:
🙄🙄
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:51:38 09/01/20 Tue

[> Subject: It's the same lesson I had to teach my kids when they were little. If you are having an event and can only invite a few friends, you all don't go into school the next day and talk about what fun you had around all those you didn't invite. It's called common courtesy. Most people don't have a problem with anyone running a class feis, I know several schools are trying to organizing them, it's that the schools invited went on social media showing off that they were invited.

Author:
it's just poor form
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:08 09/01/20 Tue

Many bad feelings could have been avoided by either people not posting....heaven forbid we don't share everything...... or by announcing that these three/four/however schools are going to try out a social distancing feis in the region to see if it can work.

[> [> Subject: Completely disagree- I felt happy seeing other kids getting out there/participating again. Word of mouth would have easily gotten the news out regarding Murray. It already had before the event happened. If anything this should inspire not divide. Everyone is upset about dance, sports, schools - everything going on. Let's use any feelings of being left out to move onward and get our own schools to figure out how to Feis again. It's happening all over the country - NE/MARS are the exception.

Author:
Happy for Murray Kids. Hope they post more!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:19:21 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: First of all a school event/feis totally focused on safety and fun for the kids is absolutely doable. Unfortunately this region is unwilling to try or let it happen in an actual feis environment which is just sad. Let's not turn against each other, instead lets redirect our energy towards pushing the region to allow feising to come back in a safe and controlled manner. It can be done!!

Author:
This isnt second grade
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:14:40 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Not sure if it's fair to blame the region. Each state has different restrictions. What is possible in NH is not possible in MA where indoor gatherings are tapped at 25 and competitive dance is still not allowed at the reopening stage that we are in

Author:
Region can't just make up the rules
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:42 09/03/20 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: NH is where all our Feis's and Oireachtas need to happen. How can we get this to go forward?

Author:
EDM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:38:13 09/04/20 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I don't think NH would be too pleased with that notion. Except for those in tourism-related industries, most NH residents are not too happy with all the MA people who flooded into their state this summer. I don't think they'd like to have people from the southern NE states flooding in this Fall Also bear in mind that RI is not managing the pandemic well, so RI residents are not welcome in MA and possibly not in other NE states, not sure.

Author:
something to consider
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:43:11 09/05/20 Sat

[> [> Subject: Your feelings were hurt? Are you kidding me? Ask your school to host something like this for your dancers. That's what I'm planning to do. Hadn't even crossed my mind to do this but great idea! Why this region is not doing more to figure out how our dancers can compete is beyond me. Every other sport is figuring it out.

Author:
Eye Roll
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:47 09/01/20 Tue

[> Subject: this is feedback on a public forum for a community we all love. it is not "blame", not "negativity", or unhappiness for other dancers

Author:
E
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:58:30 09/01/20 Tue

murray previously held a school feis earlier this summer....there were no adversarial comments here about that event. it was great and comments on posts were all positive and supportive. this feedback isn't about not being happy for murray for other dancers. it is about implications, being "invited" or not ...when does not being invited ever feel good to anyone???......never. agreed, lets unite as an irish dance community. we need it now more than ever.

[> [> Subject: Congratulations Ann! I hope the event went well and there are plenty more! So excited to see your dancers back in action!

Author:
D
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:41 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: How in the world do you expect a single studio to be able to host everyone? That would be called a feis. If your TC isn't thinking of ways to get feedback from judges and keep your dancer motivated, then your "beef" should be with them. Not with a school who is doing what they feel is best for their dancers. Kudos to them.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:58 09/01/20 Tue

[> Subject: Why would this be any of your business? It wasn't a real feis, didn't count for moving up, so if you weren't there it doesn't affect you in any way.

Author:
MYOB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:07:41 09/01/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: i don't care, but others might be discussing it because it's against the CLRG rules to include another class on your class feis unless you declare an association

Author:
anything better than nothing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:30 09/06/20 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: Can you post a link to that rule? I'd love to see it. I know there are association rules but I hadn't seen anything that references class feiseanna.

Author:
interested
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:47:16 09/06/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> Subject: Is this relevant?

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:55:59 09/07/20 Mon

I don't know if this is relevant? Personally, happy for those that were able to compete- it's a small bright spot in all of this wackiness.

3.3.4 Pupils of a class whose members the adjudicator has in the previous two years assessed, either in person or by video, other than at an official Dancer’s Certificate examination of An Coimisiún.

From CLRG rules- under "An adjudicator must not judge ANY of the following:"

I don't know who adjudicated this class feis but this seems to be applicable- maybe TCRGs "judged" - then making this not relevant at all?

I had a hard time figuring out these rules- probably easier for someone more familiar. Honestly, I'm probably interpreting this all wrong. Full document below.

https://www.clrg.ie/images/Final_Rules_Doc.pdf

[> [> [> Subject: Lots of free time on people’s hands to be worried about other schools.

Author:
Get a life
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:43:54 09/07/20 Mon

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-7
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.