VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Kuh, still strong on her silver year in music

Author:
mmJun- group moderator
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 124.217.36.187
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08:53:21 08/10/06 Thu

Kuh, still strong on her silver year in music

By Terrie B. Fucanan
POP diva. Queen of concept shows. Singing icon. Enterprising artist.

Kuh Ledesma will surely never run out of such complimentary titles. Her strong staying power in the music industry especially the concert arena is attributed to her timely choice of music platform, her perfect assemblage of guest performers and her concert themes that never cease to delight and amuse.

And she’s still halfway through celebrating her silver anniversary as a solo artist. In February Kuh marked this milestone by opening the one-year music series called “Kuh Ledesma Presents” at the Captain’s Bar of the Mandarin Oriental Manila.

On the concert front, she staged a successful Valentine show with the concert queen Pops Fernandez at the Big Dome, and just recently returned from the well-received first leg of her anniversary tour in Chicago, Orlando, San Francisco, Ohio, Angeles, Phoenix and San Diego in the United States.

Earlier this year the enterprising Kuh also opened a little theater at the promenade of Greenhills called Teatrino, which she coowns with business partner Precy Florentino.

In the summer she cooled down hot evenings with her Captain’s Bar gigs with Bobby Soul, a former member of the legendary fifties’ group, The Platters.

This rainy month of August, Kuh will once again hit the Mandarin Oriental music lounge with another renowned performer: the award-winning jazz singer Mon David.

“The show will revisit Mon’s music talent,” says Kuh. “He has been in the industry for so long and has worked with many music genres.”

“Come Rain, Come Shine” as the show is billed, will be held on August 18 and 25 at 8 p.m. It will feature nostalgic songs and jazz tunes perfect for the rainy season, adds Kuh, including those by Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald and several pop songs leaning on rhythmic jazz.

And if the audiences are lucky, David might also give them a taste of his upcoming jazz album. The First London International Jazz Festival grand champion is finishing his music album with the UK label Candid Records, which allowed him to inject his own material into some songs.

“There’s a track that contains lyrics of a Capampangan folk song, which I vocally styled in jazz,” said David, who is also trained in classical, kundiman and even pop music. “I’ve done this combination before in London and the audience liked it. It’s a good start at showcasing Filipino languages to the world.”

In September Kuh will be back in the United States to continue the second leg of her anniversary tour. Traveling with her in Canada (Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg) and the US (Los Angeles, Cache Creek, Dallas, Seattle, Las Vegas, Lakeland) are guest performers Martin Nievera, Jericho Rosales, Basil Valdez and daughter Isabella.

Filipinos awaiting Kuh’s return can expect the same musical bravado that she delivered in the first leg of her tour—the magnificent costumes, beautiful choice of songs and the remarkable vocal talents Filipino artists are known for in the world.

But there is one more important component lacking in Kuh’s 25th-year celebration. She’s still working on her anniversary album, which she will simply call K, and will contain the very best of her music. K will feature songs in Pilipino and remakes of kundiman.

“I wanted to have the album done in time for my US tour, but then I thought why rush it when I’m enjoying every minute of the creative process that goes with each song?” she says. “I’ve decided to release K at the end of the year. It will be the culmination of my anniversary year, my work of legacy.”

For more information on Kuh Ledesma, log on to www.kuhledesma.net. For tickets to the Come Rain, Come Shine shows, call 551-7253 to 55, 721-0635 and 721-6726.

http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php?news=1368
--------------- >

Kuh_Ledesma · Kuh Ledesma : Philippines 1st Diva Star
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kuh_Ledesma/

http://insidebuzz.tripod.com

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.