VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]
Subject: thanks...! whatta cool hobby...

Author:
Chris O.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:46:41 03/23/04 Tue

I found the site by accident and enjoyed poking around. I especially like the photos with the pretty wildflowers -- nice contrast of beauty and decay. (Same reason I like Mahler symphonies so much...)

I was vaguely aware of urban exploration as a hobby & it's certainly something I'd be doing... if only my wife would let me ... sigh...

I used to do solo explorations a long time ago when opportunities presented themselves. Old buildings awaiting renovation in the late 70s where I went to college (UW-Milwaukee,) buildings with dozens of old elegant rooms with natural fireplaces and walls scribbled with arty graffiti from when it was architecture students' studios... or the steam tunnels on the "county grounds" in Wauwatosa WI which led from the school building our community theater group was renting (& where a careless telephone installer left a tunnel door open) to the basement of the delinquent teen girls' residence, to a 100 year old public bathhouse-turned-pipefitting shop with beautiful old mosaic tile, to an old TB sanatorium with shit in the stairwells. I left the last building above ground, looked over my shoulder, and saw the sherriff's deputies fumbling with a set of keys at the front door 100 yards away.

Most interesting of all was an abandoned wing of the #3 sheet mill at what used to be LTV Steel (or J&L Steel or YS&T) in East Chicago where I did my engineering coop a couple decades ago. From the floor, rolling mill equipment is several stories high, and it extends the same distance below floor level. If you ever get the chance to explore an old rolling mill, you'll love the layered subbasements containing thousands of tons of ancient, dangerous looking, funky alien machinery. You'll need flashlights, and bump caps are a must when crawling around machinery.

Now I miss my old life. Maybe I can get my kids interested in this in a few years, and hope they'll let me tag along...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: thanks...! whatta cool hobby...Chuck13:50:20 04/07/04 Wed

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.