VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Saturday, September 19, 20:47:49Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4567 ]
Subject: Re: Children and Beauty Pageants

Author:
a proud MOM
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12/14/07 2:26:01am
In reply to: By Kareen Nussbaum 's message, "Children and Beauty Pageants" on 12/ 6/04 5:04:19pm

I wish this person would also do research on other child activities...cheerleading, dance, soccer, softball, etc. If you think that pageant moms are bad...go to one of these competitive events and you will see that not much changes, in fact the parents are much worse! There is just as much "practice" if not more. Cheer and dance recitals wear MORE makeup and the costumes are sometimes VERY sexy in nature (more skin exposed, short skirts middy tops)and also VERY provacative moves! In sports, I have seen parents cuss (yes swear) at not only their own child but other children on the team! Parents are yelling from the stands, get in fights with others, and this seems to be condoned since it is seen all the time! I am NOT saying all parents act like this, however many do. I have seen a father allow his son to take a beating in Rocketfootball, the other team was visably cheating...kicking boys when they were down, reaching up under the helmet and clawing the face, kicking kids in the stomach etc. I removed my son from the game with disgust. The father of the boy getting beat up was the coach,and should have stopped the game or forfeited to keep the children safe, but his big pride got in his way! and I was further more disgusted at the mother when the boy came off visibly hurt holding his arm in pain and crying and his MOTHER told him to "suck it up, you know how your dad is?" THAT IS CHILD ABSUSE!!! These kids were the youngest age level for rocket football...what is wrong with these people??? These young sports events are to give kids a taste at what the game is about and to learn the rules, not to be disfigured and hurt for life!! My kids have participated in Softball/baseball where I have seen numerous parents be asked to leave because of their abusive foul language towards players and officials...I want to ask, what are these pious people (of whom many put down pageants) what the heck are YOU teaching your children?
My daughter has partipated in pageants since she was very tiny. Yes, our decision in the beginning, but hers to continue through so far the age of 19. She has enjoyed all of it, she always leaves with a smile on her face win or not. She has learned that there are many different people in this world, some you can be friends with and others that you stay away from. She has learned poise, how to take care of herself, what looks good on her and what doesn't, how to care for someone other than herself, community involvement to a greater degree, how to manage finances, interviewing skills which she has already used in getting a job, public speaking which has helped her in college, creative writing which has also helped in school. Entertaining others with the gift God gave her (a beautiful singing voice) being gracious whether you win or notand what competition really is about...making your best better (taking this from 4-H which is also something she has been in) How can I put a price tag on all she has learned? Pageantry has touched on SO many different things in her life, and she has been involved in sports, school functions etc. as well, all her choice, and she has become the wonderful well rounded person that she is...one I am VERY PROUD to call my daughter and my best friend! Many of my fellow pageant mothers have the same relationships with their daughters too, and these girls are all wonderful young ladies who are growing into the young women of the future...I feel very comfortable knowing that our future will be in their hands! Not all pageant girls are unintelligent, anorexic, and snobby...and not all view pageantry as just a "beauty" thing...many have put themselves through college this way...so depending on who is eager to get on TV and talk about pageantry...and it is pretty obvious that only the Jerry Springer kind of people are willing to be put under public scrutiny, it is sad that the better part of pageantry and the people who participate are taking a beating!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Children and Beauty PageantsA Deeper Beauty01/ 8/08 4:38:39am

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.