VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 25, 7:39:38Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]7 ]
Subject: Carnival Queen

Author:

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02/ 5/05 3:07:53am

Deborah Nandah parades in her costume "Pride of The Nation: We Pan," from the band Ah Feeling It, to capture the Carnival Queen title at Skinner Park ,San Fernando, on Wednesday night. And South King of the Band Photos: TREVOR HACKETT

AFTER playing Queen of the Bands for 15 years, Deborah Nandah never thought she would capture a title. Maybe that's why, when her name was announced winner of the San Fernando Queen of Carnival 2005 she just stood in shock.

"I just stand up and stared. I was in shock. It was only when they kept calling me on stage, then it really sunk in, that I had won the title," said an excited Nandah yesterday.

At the show dubbed the South Dimarche Gras at Skinner Park, San Fernando, Brian London retained the South Calypso Monarch title which he won last year. He sang his popular "Tsunami" and "We Shall Overcome".

The South King of the Bands title, for the second year running, went to Leroy Preito. He won with his creation "Magazany-The Bizarre Buffon King of all Clowns". This is his fifth title since he began playing with Fireworks Promotion in 1999.

Nandah had played mas almost all her life and began playing queen 15 years ago. First she played with Miguel Marchan's band, then Leslie Bobb, then with Neville Hinds in Port of Spain for three years. For the next ten years, she stuck with the San Fernando band of Owen Hinds, a relative of Neville's.

Nandah of Duncan Village, San Fernando, said: "Now that I have tasted winning, I look forward to capturing more titles."

Her winning costume "Pride of The Nation: We Pan", from the band Ah Feeling It, was designed by Howill Pooran, and decorated by Crystal Gordan and Nandah herself. The beautiful red, white and black costume was a tribute to pan personalities who through their hard work over the years, made the pan the national instrument.

Nandah, is among six south queens competing for the national Carnival Queen title, the final of which takes place in Port of Spain on Sunday.

Describing his win as thrilling, Preito promises "good competition" for competitors for the national title come Sunday at the Dimanche Gras.

QUEEN Category:

1st - Deborah Nandah - Pride of the Nation "We Pan".

2nd - Rosemarie Kuru- Jagessar - "Zanaru - Lady of the Plains".

3rd - Peola Marchan - "Shamrock Surprises".

KINGS category:

1st - Leroy Preito - "Magazany - The Bizarre Buffon King of all Clowns".

2nd - Owen Hinds Jr - "Beauty and Splendour".

3rd - Lionell Jagessar Jr - "Za-Rahula - Keeper of the Treshold".

CALYPSO MONARCH:

1st - Brian London - with "Tsunami" and " We shall Overcome."

2nd - Rondell Donawa

3rd - Marsha Charles.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.