VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 18, 22:45:40Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]7 ]
Subject: Elon freshman crowned Ms. South Central Ohio

Author:
Leigh Ann Vanscoy / Features Editor
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02/ 9/05 5:16:02pm

Have you ever wondered if the movie "Miss Congeniality" actually represents real beauty pageants? Nanciann Strosnider assures us that they are very similar.

Nanciann Strosnider, 19, was crowned Ms.South Central Ohio and will attend the Ms. Ohio

competition in June.

Freshman Nanciann Strosnider was crowned Ms. South Central Ohio and will be attending the Ms. Ohio competition in June.

She competed in a swimsuit, formal wear, talent and a twelve minute interview round. As Strosnider's talent she sang "I am Changing" from the musical "Dreamgirls." The Ms. South Central Ohio crown came as a surprise. "I was just doing it for practice," Strosnider said. She said that she competes in pageants for fun and experience and is excited to move on to the statewide pageant.

Pageants are a way of life for the 19-year-old Amelia, Ohio, native. Strosnider has been participating in pageants since she was 11-months-old. Both her parents have also been involved with pageants. Her mother previously competed in the Miss Kentucky USA competition and her father judges and also works as an announcer for pageant events.

"It was a hobby,” Strosnider said. “We would go to pageants one weekend a month." Besides winning a spot in the Ms. Ohio pageant, Strosnider also took home a $1,000 scholarship and an official Miss America crown.

All contestants must hold a platform to raise awareness of an issue they feel is important to their region. Strosnider will spend her reign promoting the preservation of the fine arts programs in public schools. This is a subject held close to her heart being a musical theater major. “I chose the fine arts departments because I am so passionate about it,” Strosnider said. “ I love it so much that it is what I want to do for the rest of my life.”

Stosnider’s local school district’s fine arts program has cutback on their programs. “They are only offering a couple music or visual art classes because the fine arts are so expensive,” Strosnider said. "Instruments, sheet music, electric equipment, painting supplies, classroom space and the salary of the teachers is what is so draining to a school's budget.” She hopes school districts will be able to raise money and obtain grants to help support the arts.

Contact Leigh Ann Vanscoy at pendulum@elon.edu or 278-7247.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.