VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 18, 12:40:33Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]7 ]
Subject: Zeta Tau Alpha raises money for breast cancer in BMOC competition

Author:
By Alysha Daytner Assistant Campus Editor
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02/28/05 11:20:04am

Big Man On Campus is Zeta Tau Alpha sorority's annual fund-raiser for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and is a series of events throughout the week including penny wars, T-shirt sales and a male beauty pageant.

The pageant portion of the competition was Friday evening and brought about 1,200 screaming students to Elliott Hall of Music, cheering for their favorites of the 21 contestants. The 21 men from various fraternities showed their skills in the talent and interview question portions of the program as the crowd waved banners, banged on pots and pans and started chants, creating an infective energy throughout the evening.

The winner of the talent portion was Justin Dommer, a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and member of Phi Gamma Delta. Dommer's talent was a martial arts demonstration.

The overall winner was George Hwang of Alpha Tau Omega. Hwang is a senior in the College of Liberal Arts and performed a choreographed hip-hop dance for the talent portion. He thanks all of the contestants and especially Zeta Tau Alpha for all of their efforts toward the fund-raiser.

The goal of the fund-raiser was $20,000, said Megan Burke, a junior in the School of Civil Engineering and co-chair of this year's BMOC. They raised more than $32,000.

"We completely surpassed the goal. Everyone totally surprised us with their participation," Burke said.

Dan Mayer wanted to start a tradition.

Mayer, a sophomore in the School of Management and member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, hoped to be crowned Big Man On Campus, as Kappa Sigma Ryan Labis was the year before.

This is his story.

Monday: Informal Dinner

Mayer's week began with meeting the other BMOC contestants and his Delta Delta Delta sorority coaches at Zeta Tau Alpha's informal dinner. After the dinner, he began to prepare for his talent, singing Meatloaf's "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)."

"I have this affinity for liking stupid songs and singing along with them," said Mayer, whose nickname is Porkchop.

His band, in search of a piano to practice on, ended up practicing at Delta Delta Delta, wooing members of the sorority in the process.

Tuesday: Sheet Signs

Mayer's week started to get crazy with BMOC events. After class he and other members of Kappa Sigma made a sheet sign to hang on their house, another portion of the BMOC competition. The sign was up by the 5 p.m. deadline, and then Mayer was off to the dress rehearsal to learn the contestants' opening number.

Wednesday: Penny Wars

A phone call got Mayer running around his house, as well as his sorority sponsor's house, to collect money for the penny wars in Stewart Center.

"I got an early call that another house dumped all of their silver change in our bucket," he said. "It was all in good fun."

Later in the evening, Mayer, his five-person band and 11 singers practiced at Delta Delta Delta.

"We were probably there every night until 10. We spent more time at Tri-Delts than we did at our house for the week."

Thursday: Boiler Market

After class, Mayer and his fraternity brothers went to Boiler Market to purchase Boiler Pops in his name, earning points for Kappa Sigma in the competition.

"I actually borrowed a car and was shuttling girls back and forth from Tri-Delts to Boiler Market because they wanted to help," he said.

That evening Mayer mingled at a crowded Boiler Market where Greek men and women packed the restaurant supporting their contestants.

Friday: Pageant

Mayer went to lunch with friends to practice the interview questions when he began to feel the intensity of the competition.

"We turned around for one second and someone had stolen my questions," Mayer said.

That afternoon, Kappa Sigma opened its windows to blast Meatloaf while Mayer practiced riding on the mini-motorcycle he rode during part of his talent.

The hard work earned Mayer and Kappa Sigma second place in this year's BMOC. And while he would have loved to win, Mayer said, "I couldn't have wished it for another house. (Alpha Tau Omega) came out and represented. I have nothing but respect."
Printer-friendly version

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.