VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 25, 7:43:36Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]7 ]
Subject: Curious to know if the smart mouthed Rocco ever put his biggo plans to work, or was this article just more smoke blowing?

Author:
SARAH POTTER
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 03/16/05 12:48:21pm

Big plans might be in works for city

October 23, 2001
By SARAH POTTER
With his thick New York accent, he wowed members of the Portsmouth Rotary Club on Monday.
Rocco Castellano, 36, who lives in Covington, Ky., across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, told Rotarians he wants to bring an Independent League baseball team, restaurants, a movie theater, and a hotel to Portsmouth.
Initially, Castellano came to Portsmouth on the tip of someone who told him the “best place to bring baseball is Portsmouth, Ohio.”
Castellano said he fell in love with Portsmouth when he first visited in the spring.
“After seeing this beautiful city, I’ve never seen a bigger opportunity in my whole life than Portsmouth, Ohio,” Castellano said. “You have everything that Cincinnati doesn’t have. You have so much more warmth. I was very much welcomed.”
An entreprenuer since he was 18 - he’s a personal trainer, has written a book, and is a chef - once Castellano arrived here he realized Portsmouth needed more than just a baseball team.
“When I came down here, I saw a wonderful opportunity for other things,” he said. “One major thing that I’ve seen is really there’s nothing to do here. It’s a wonderful city and I think people want to live here.”
Castellano said there’s nothing for the younger crowd - people between the age of 24-35 - in the way of entertainment or upscale eateries.
“I decided there’s going to need to be a movie theater here,” he said. “The number one attraction to revitalize a city is a movie theater.”
That will be his first project. Included in that he is looking at revitalizing Chillicothe Street and is negotiating the purchase of three buildings.
Saturday, Castellano is bringing a movie theater construction company and an architect to Portsmouth.
“You will know Monday where the movie theater is going to be. I would like it to be downtown,” he said.
After seeing Branch Rickey Field, where the Portsmouth Pirates will make their home, Castellano took inventory of what will be needed to renovate that facility.
He estimates between $150,000 and $175,000 will take care of putting on a roof, and making minor repairs.
Castellano said he has sponsors so it won’t cost the city anything.
He also said that when attracting people to a community, housing needs to be a priority.
“The university needs housing. People in general here need housing,” he said
He said his rule of thumb has always been “bring the people first and businesses will follow.”
Castellano, who praised Shawnee State University as “the best thing to happen to Portsmouth,” brought people from the Miss Ohio-USA Pageant there to show them the facilities.
While he recognized the assets of the university, he added there isn’t a hotel big enough to hold events.
“I’m hoping phase two is going to be a hotel,” he said.
Castellano, who plans to move here once his projects are completed, said those are the main things he’s trying to do here.
“I need your cooperation,” he said. “I need the community and the community needs itself. I’ve never seen anything build itself without the community behind it.”

Story created Tuesday, October 23, 2001 at 9:54 AM.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
This guy is a real Carlioni wanna be. So full of crap (NT)Lucca Bratzi - Yo Rocco, make me an offer I can't refuse!03/17/05 1:27:14pm

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.