VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 18, 22:35:49Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]7 ]
Subject: TnT: The new Trinidad & Tobago will be announced tonight

Author:
News Room 57
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 03/23/05 5:20:32pm

The five delegates who competed at Trotters on Tuesday for the right to take Cheryl Ankrah's place as this country's representative for Miss Universe. From left: Lo Anna Laurie, Magdalene Walcott, Tanya Gomes, Jenna Marie Andre and Crystal Cunningham

Ankrah never had to work for anything, says Elias
Sateesh Maharaj

Wednesday, March 23rd 2005

LOCAL Miss Universe franchise holder Peter Elias has said that ousted Miss Universe representative Cheryl Ankrah never fully applied herself because she had had a relatively easy life and never had to work for anything.

Elias made the claim to reporters at Trotters, St Clair, after a mini-pageant to select a new representative for the Miss Universe pageant which will be held in Bangkok, Thailand, on May 30.

"In one of Cheryl Ankrah's correspondences to me, she said her life had been relatively easy. 'I've never had to work for anything. This is why I didn't apply myself," Elias disclosed.

Elias said he was told by the Miss Universe Organisation that this is the third replacement of country delegates this year, Aruba and Germany being the other two.

"This is not unfamiliar territory," he stressed. "Last year I think they said seven delegates were replaced. In Trinidad, it's the first time it's ever happened."

He added that the decision to fire Ankrah, though a difficult one, was done to maintain past levels of success by this country's delegates.

Elias said he was surprised that Ankrah had filed an injunction but always felt certain of his legal standing.

"It was an ugly ordeal. I felt very safe all along. I felt I was in good legal guidance. It took a month before we disqualified her. We didn't want to make any decision that was not legal. We were surprised that there was ever an injunction. "Based on the results of the day, it seems that they were crafty enough to create an injunction by not giving full evidence to the presiding judge, not showing necessary documents where she wrote to us apologising for wasting our time and promised to buckle up."

Elias said his intention was never to embarrass Ankrah or bring details of the disqualification to light.

"These are all things that we did not want to make public," he said. "At the end of the day, yes you did not fulfil your duties, but we don't want to embarrass. The epitome of what we do is celebrate women-not break them down."

The newly selected delegate will leave on May 7. Elias said the committee now had to raise almost $100,000 to pay the licence fee and air freight to go to Thailand.

Elias said he hoped to never have such an experience again but knew that most delegates did not like signing contracts.

"It's a very difficult bridge to gap which my lawyers will now have to help me (deal with). I look forward to a continued feature in this business (of) promoting young women. I look at the situation as a learning experience, not as a bitter one."

The new Miss Trinidad and Tobago Miss Universe delegate will be announced later today. Elias' parting words to Ankrah?

"I wish her the very best. God speed be with her."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.