VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, June 18, 12:52:45Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]7 ]
Subject: Contestant doesn't have time for dating

Author:
By Kelly Kendall
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 03/27/05 7:03:14am

March 27, 2005

Surprise! Kaitlyn Christopher, Miss Indiana USA, doesn't get asked out much.

Not that she's sitting around by the phone, anyway -- she's too busy prepping for the Miss USA pageant, to be held next month in Baltimore. Christopher, an IUPUI freshman, is taking this semester off from her veterinary studies to concentrate on all things pageant -- interview training, media training, fitness training, makeup lessons, even walking lessons.

At 18, the Kokomo native is the second-youngest contestant in this year's event, which is open to women ages 18-26 in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C. But she's already a veteran, having competed in pageants since her freshman year of high school, including another national contest, Miss Galaxy.

Beauty contests make sense for Christopher, considering her dream: to become a supermodel. Barring that, she wants to run a nonprofit organization involved in animal rescue, which is also her platform for the Miss USA contest.

The Star caught up with her to get the skinny on pageant life:

Why do you do pageants?

When I started out, I was a very awkward, shy little girl. When I competed in pageants, I started to gain poise and confidence and speaking ability. Each time I competed I learned more about myself. I love the glamour and the style and the fashion.

So how accurate is "Miss Congeniality"?

There's some truth and there's some stuff that's totally exaggerated. . . . The one part I do remember is when they all get on the bus and start singing. And yes -- you all get on a bus and sit together, and here's 51 beautiful girls singing and sharing their stories.

Do you really become friends, or is it very catty and competitive?

There's definitely the girls you want to stay away from. But you also leave with great friends. Some girls have left with their new bridesmaids. There's always the very competitive girls who stay very focused and don't have any intention of making friends.

Do you have to diet like crazy?

A lot of girls are going through that. I come from a family that's naturally very thin. I work out an hour, three times a week.

When was the last time you had some chocolate?

Yesterday. I had some Reese's cups -- I've got a whole bag sitting in the pantry. I haven't really had to change my eating habits.

Beauty pageant TV viewership is on the decline. What about people who say pageants are out-of-date and just objectify women?

People just don't understand until they're really in it. They celebrate women, and their beauty and their talent and their accomplishments.

I think the most important thing is how much community service each and every girl puts into their state -- I'm volunteering about 10 hours a week. I don't think people realize how much good work for their communities people are doing.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-12
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.