VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Monday, December 16, 2019 4:45:20 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 01:45:38 12/14/14 Sun
Author: Cirrus
Subject: Hey Com, question about Dizzy and pronouns...
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "(S) "Billy Chase 384" ((DOUBLE SIZED CHAPTER!!!))" on 12:42:30 12/10/14 Wed

Billy was swapping back and forth between male and female pronouns when it came to Dizzy - which I presume was a deliberate decision on your part to illustrate Billy's confusion over Dizzy.

It got me a bit curious. I kind of wondered if I was in Billy's shoes - would I swap back and forth, or would I think of Dizzy as one gender or another.

I guess it felt like the execution didn't *quite* pull off the idea you were going for. When you were swapping back and forth from sentence to sentence in the same paragraph, my initial thought was "Wait - does Com remember which gender this character is supposed to be?". Billy did mentally correct himself - which seemed plausible, but it came after a paragraph where he seemed completely unaware that he was thinking of Dizzy as a boy one moment, and a girl the next.

Perhaps the effect you were going for would have worked better if you had written the first paragraph referring conistently to Dizzy as "he" / "him", the second paragraph as "she" / "her", then Billy correcting himself back to "he" / "him".

I really like that you tackled the issue though. Dizzy is an interesting character.

Poor Robin. I think its all going to end in tears. And Billy knows so many other single and pining gay boys. :(

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.