VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 20:25:30 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:04:16 12/14/14 Sun
Author: Comicality
Subject: The thing with Billy talking about 'Dizzy'...
In reply to: Cirrus 's message, "Hey Com, question about Dizzy and pronouns..." on 01:45:38 12/14/14 Sun

...Is that Billy knows one thing, but is trying to think another. So I was hoping to show a bit of confusion on Billy's part while he's writing, but he's not confused about the gender at all.

He's not switching back and forth deliberately. The 'she' is the mistake. I made sure to mention that Billy referred to Dizzy as a 'she' because of her tears, and his associating that with girls more than boys. So to him, the line gets blurred between genders, and he makes mistakes while free writing his thoughts on paper. But Dizzy wants to be referred to as a 'he'. Billy knows that, but he's still mixing himself up every now and then.

I definitely wanted to show both sides of the situation when introducing a transgendered teen into the story. I can remember some from here on the Shack, where I would sometimes find myself making a few mistakes with pronouns myself. Sometimes I would refer to them in the feminine...and I'd be corrected. And the next week I'd refer to them in the masculine, and I'd be corrected. And then I would just try to refer to them by name, but the pronoun game can be rather difficult to play when trying to have a conversation. So, hopefully, I'm being respectful to the issue, but still demonstrating that the mistakes Billy makes are made innocently and don't come from a place of ignorance or malice. He's just in the learning stages of how to address it.

Hopefully, everybody reading this series who coms across a TG teen or adult in the future will learn along with Billy and be a bit more knowledgeable about it beforehand.

I'll have my fingers crossed on that one. :)

I just recently made a post on the Shack last week about the Dizzy character and how it was being handled. If you care to weigh in, I'd love to hear more of your ideas on it

http://www.voy.com/15900/60831.html

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Oh, what I left out... -- Comicality, 07:13:15 12/14/14 Sun
  • Thanks for the clarification -- Cirrus, 23:40:33 12/14/14 Sun

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.