VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Saturday, August 08, 2020 4:50:51 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:43:59 06/02/20 Tue
Author: Comicality
Subject: An interesting idea! And YES, I think they do! :)
In reply to: River Acheron 's message, "(E) Are fictional characters real?" on 00:35:05 05/31/20 Sun

First, before I begin, would you mind if I added your article to Imagine Magazine? I really like the idea of this article. :)

So, are fictional characters real? As you pointed out, I think it depends on how you 'define' real. There are many times when people will ask how I can keep the stories straight in my head, even after they've gone without an update for an extended period of time. The truth is, these characters are 'alive' in my mind. I never forget who they are, what they've done, or what's going on in their lives. So picking up right where I left off is very easy for me personally. Now, does that mean that they physically exist? Who knows? If the theory of the power of the 'observer' in quantum physics is anything to go by...then yes, they probably do. They're more real to me than a stranger that I've never seenor haven't met yet. So, I guess it's possible.

It's like, if you're playing a video game, especially in this day and age with the advanced AI and all...there are characters that can move independently of one another. They can 'hear' you if you make a noise. They can 'see' you if you step into the light. You might be a soldier playing against enemy combatants...but think about this...that video game character is wandering around in its own landscape. It can think and react to your presence. Even when they're not on the screen or a part of the game, they're basically living a LIFE inside the game. A life with limited choices and within a limited space, sure...but they're actually somewhat sentient when you think about it.

If you're playing Grand Theft Auto...those digital character are walking around in the streets, some with friends, they're driving cars, there are cops that will pull you over or chase you if they catch you speeding through a red light. But the question is...what are they doing when you're not playing the game? If you just left the game on for six hours without touching the controller, wouldn't it be just like the Matrix? With people and stores and strip clubs and birds and clouds and day turning to night and vice versa? We don't think of them as being real, but with the exception of bing self aware, are they really all that different from us in our daily lives? I feel like I have an infinite amount of choices of what I want to do with my life, but in reality, my life revolves around a tiny routine with a few variations here and there. Depending on time, energy, amount of money...so I'm basically a video game character in my own right. Who knows? Maybe some 14 year old kid is controlling me in this weird simulation right now instead of doing his homework. Hehehe! What a boring game that would be!

Ryan Reynolds was making a movie about something like this, which I was looking forward to, but, you know...pandemic. But it looked funny!

Anyway, good article! Loved it. And, yes...fictional characters can be real. Did you know that your brain cannot create faces when it's dreaming? It has to use faces that you know or that you might have seen somewhere in passing. It can't just 'make it up'. Which means, it had to be real. So if you can create the fiction, it had to be real somewhere at some time. :P

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.