VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Thursday, June 04, 2020 1:04:48 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:21:41 05/11/15 Mon
Author: Cirrus
Subject: Hey hey hey - when was the last time YOU started *and* finished a story with original characters in a week? :p
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "Reading (With songs in my had, of course!)" on 07:15:39 05/11/15 Mon

You can't go complaining now that we didn't follow rules that only existed in your head! And this was "be like Comsie" week right? Since most of your stories are continuations of ongoing series with already established characters, I feel no guilt whatsoever about re-using characters from a previous story. If it makes you feel better about my compliance with the spirity of the challenge, none of the story was written prior to Speak Week. I hadn't even thought about writing a sequel, so it wasn't even an idea in my head a week ago.

Now if you WANT to do an original story challenge, I'm on, but you have to participate too. I'm not even sure you could tell a complete story from start to finish in under 1500 words. :P (Yes I know the original task said that parts of stories were okay, but I think you'd find finishing a story under a tight word limit without the safety net of "to be continued" a challenge).

Did you mean (parenteses) or ellipsis... in your proofreader's comment? I could only find two examples of the former, but numerous examples of the latter. Ellipses are my shorthand way of indicating uncertainty in the character - I see I used them both in dialogue and narration here. It's a style thing (a bit like your habit of using ALL CAPITALS when your characters are VERY EMPHATIC about something), that I think I can be effective when deployed at the right time. But like any literary "flourish", that type of thing is easy to overuse. It's the type of thing an editor or proofreader might comment on, but a one week deadline didn't leave much time for draft-stage reviewing.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.