VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Monday, May 25, 2020 6:47:45 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:06:21 05/12/15 Tue
Author: Cirrus
Subject: Ahhhhhh! Stupid electronic communications
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "I could do it right now, if you like..." on 00:22:22 05/12/15 Tue

I think I need to use more smileys or something. Or a big signpost that says "I am writing this sentence with a smile on my face so you don't take it too seriously".

That first sentence of your review... mentioning "loopholes" makes it sound like I was deliberately setting out to game the system, or make things easier on myself, because I didn't meet a condition that was in your head, but you'd never written on paper. I felt like that diminished a sincere effort on my part to live up to every part of your challenge. And yes, I got that you were joking a bit when you typed it, and I replied in kind, but the implication that I might have tried to find a shortcut stung a little bit. Ultimately, did it even have to be mentioned?

I'm glad that you liked the story. I was trying to engage with your specific criticism, not get defensive about it. I just complained about one single exclamation mark in "Jesse-101", so I think you're perfectly entitled to point out parentheses if they seemed out of place to you. When I read it I thought "Oh I must have been overusing them", then I went back and found only two. I find it interesting that you found their use jarring enough that you noticed them while you were reading. It's something I'll keep an eye out for in the future to determine if they're really the best device to use.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.