VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Thursday, June 04, 2020 0:15:09 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:25:15 05/13/15 Wed
Author: Cirrus
Subject: Yeah I read your review of Mike's story
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "Thanks, Cirrus..." on 04:16:32 05/13/15 Wed

So I felt like I was defending him a bit too (sorry Mike).

It probably seems like I was being super-sensitive to negative criticism, but look a closer and you'll see I had two different reactions. The thing that provoked the negative reaction was suggestion that maybe I hadn't put enough EFFORT into the story because I was re-using characters from another story, or Mike was fleshing out a concept he'd thought of before Speak Week.

On the other hand, when it came to the actual criticism of technique, I didn't dismiss it. I've been genuinely been trying to take on board the parentheses comment, and next time I'm tempted to use one, I'll pause to consider if its absolutely necessary.

Yes, I want glowingly positive reviews, but because I've EARNED them, not because I've scared you off saying anything negative. Why was Simon Cowell the only judge on American Idol that people paid attention to? Because contestants actually had to work to get positive reviews from him. He didn't just automatically endorse every contestant with the same praise.

If there's something you don't like about one of my stories, tell me. I owe you about a thousand opportunities to re-balance the scales by now. Plus I actually want get better as a writer, and feedback is kind of important for that.

That sentence that came across to you as angrily pushing you in the chest? Imagine a different scenario where I'm poking you in the ribs or trying to tickle you. The words might be exactly the same, but the meaning would be completely different. That's what I meant by the limits of electronic communication. It's easy for nuances to get lost.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.