VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Saturday, May 25, 2019 18:50:30 CSTLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:02:29 04/10/15 Fri
Author: TurtleBoy
Subject: I've always found straight black and white tend to hurt people's eyes.
In reply to: Comicality 's message, "I would definitely like to..." on 03:15:15 04/09/15 Thu

A black screen with white text can make the text seem too bright. In some cases, even black text on a white background can be too much for some people.

What you could try to do is a near-black and near-white. Dull the colours a bit so that they're not as 'shiny', maybe?

Like this:

The background colour is #222 and the text colour is #eee It's not straight-up black or white and can make it easier on the eyes. Increasing the line-height can help, too. It allows a bit more space between the lines.

Another thing you can do is play with the text. If you increase the line height, there will be a bit more space between each line in a paragraph, making it easier for the eyes to distinguish between the row they just finished and the one they're about to start. You can also increase the text size a bit. The current size is 9pt, which is an old-school standard. If you increase the size to around 18px, it'll be even less straining on the eyes and look a bit more crisp on the screen.

You can also try different fonts, too! Like a sans-serif or a different serif?

Example of the differences:

This is a sans-serif font. I'm straight and neat and basic and appear a little bit larger than a serif font, even though we're the same size.

This is a serif font. Notice the slight stroke-like curls on the edges :o I'm really kinda fancy :D

If you decide to stay with a white background, make the text a duller colour than black, like #333, which is the current colour of this text :D That way you don't have to worry about glare that you get from screens with backlights (monitors, tablets, phones, etc) as opposed to eReaders and print books.

Sorry, I couldn't resist adding me 15 cents :o

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.