VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Vonnie
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sun, May 23 2004, 8:38:57 GMT
In reply to: Jamie O'Neill 's message, "Re: It works!" on Sat, May 22 2004, 21:26:31 GMT

>Dear Liz, please understand this is a serious forum
>for the discussion of high academic and literary
>matters: it is not for idle Slash Harry pottering.

You imply that Slash Harry pottering is not a high academic literary discussion. Believe me, no one can get into the deepest corners of a books possible and probable connotations than a Slash lover trying to find evidence to support their 'ship.

Hi by the way...I'm Vonnie, a friend of the lovely Liz, who has told me many wonderful things about you and, as you'll probably not be surprised to find out, made me read At Swim...

...which I loved. I think it's the quickest I've ever read a book and I missed so much the first time through because I needed to know what happened. But then it just meant I had a great reason to re-read it. ;)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Jo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, May 24 2004, 5:15:46 GMT

>I think it's the quickest I've ever
>read a book and I missed so much the first time
>through because I needed to know what happened.

I was the other way around with At Swim. I put it down for two or three days after the Muglins scene. I knew it was going to end badly and I just didn't want to face it. I wanted them to be happy in my mind for at least a little while longer.

Then again, I am a sap.

On the other side of the spectrum, I sat up all night in a bathroom finishing Kilbrack (I couldn't keep the other people in the room up with a light. I did wake one or two of them up with my laughter, though)

Love and Peanuts,
Jo

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Horatio
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, May 24 2004, 10:52:29 GMT

>I was the other way around with At Swim. I put it down
>for two or three days after the Muglins scene. I knew
>it was going to end badly and I just didn't want to
>face it. I wanted them to be happy in my mind for at
>least a little while longer.
>
>Then again, I am a sap.

I opened At Swim at around 10:00 PM, which was a very bad idea, because I was up until the annoying cowbird on our porch started making hawk noises, and I was morose and listless the rest of the day, thinking only about how bitter I was (Although it was that satisfying sort of funk). Always start a good book in the early afternoon, in my opinion. That way, you have a chance to sleep it all off.

But eh, better sappy than syrupy, right?

Love and Plant Products;
Houie

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Jo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, May 25 2004, 2:15:56 GMT

>I opened At Swim at around 10:00 PM, which was a very
>bad idea, because I was up until the annoying cowbird
>on our porch started making hawk noises, and I was
>morose and listless the rest of the day, thinking only
>about how bitter I was (Although it was that
>satisfying sort of funk).

You read it in one sitting? Damn. You must have been an emotional cripple by the end of it. Or at least I would have been. (I was anyway... shhhhhhh.. it's a secret)


>Always start a good book in
>the early afternoon, in my opinion. That way, you have
>a chance to sleep it all off.

I love the surreal readjusting to reality after a great book... when you can't seem to recall why you care about going to work or what is on tv because your mind is still replaying scenes from what you've read. Oh, that feeling where reality is kind of pale and the book you've just put down seems so, so rich compared to it. That feeling is half the reason I read so much. It's addictive. I have the worst time sleeping after I finish a good book. It's like I don't want to stop thinking about it, not even to sleep. Once you sleep, or distance yourself from the book, you can't get back that feeling. I am such a geek.

>But eh, better sappy than syrupy, right?

I am not going to say what that made me think of, you sick peanut-buttery man.

Love and SomethingInnocent,
Jo

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Vonnie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, May 25 2004, 5:33:40 GMT

>I love the surreal readjusting to reality after a
>great book... when you can't seem to recall why you
>care about going to work or what is on tv because your
>mind is still replaying scenes from what you've read.
>Oh, that feeling where reality is kind of pale and the
>book you've just put down seems so, so rich compared
>to it. That feeling is half the reason I read so much.
>It's addictive. I have the worst time sleeping after I
>finish a good book. It's like I don't want to stop
>thinking about it, not even to sleep. Once you sleep,
>or distance yourself from the book, you can't get back
>that feeling. I am such a geek.


You just spoke my thoughts almost precisely. I love how I disappear into a book and that world just surrounds me. If someone talks to me I kinda blink a few times to pull myself out of it. And no matter how wonderful your own life is, it's just so amazing to live in other people sometimes. I go back to old books I've read and it's like catching up with old friends.

And I often stop the book before the end. I imagine the three of them all move to a remote island and open a gay bar. Is that wrong? ;) But then I also often don't watch the last bit of Moulin Rouge. God I'm such a woman. Heh.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Jo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, May 25 2004, 15:23:57 GMT


> I go back to old books
>I've read and it's like catching up with old friends.

A few weeks ago, I actually used the phrase "I miss Jim. I need to read that book again." I am still getting picked on for that one. Glad to see you understand it at least.


>And I often stop the book before the end. I imagine
>the three of them all move to a remote island and open
>a gay bar. Is that wrong? ;)

I did that once. I put the book down in the middle of the garden party scene. Jim had just said that he hoped Doyler would kiss him... and I just decided to let it end there. I think this was last October, so I had probably read the book at least 6 times already. I just wastn't in the mood for the heartbreaking parts. So, I don't think it's wrong at all, dear. :)

Love and Bows,
Jo

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
Tori
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, May 26 2004, 4:56:06 GMT

>I was the other way around with At Swim. I put it down
>for two or three days after the Muglins scene. I knew
>it was going to end badly and I just didn't want to
>face it. I wanted them to be happy in my mind for at
>least a little while longer.
>
>Then again, I am a sap.

Jo, I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I did the exact same thing. I was on vacation at the time and actually had a great deal of time to devote to reading, but as soon as I read the Muglins scene I cast the book aside and had a difficult time explaning to my friend why I suddenly wouldn't touch the book in which I'd had my nose absolutely buried for three full days.

Several days later I picked it back up and read straight through to the end... finished it on the way home and had a difficult time explaining to my mother why I was sobbing on an airplane, as I am not known for crying in public. (Or private, for that matter.) She understood when I finally bought her a copy of her own.

Tori

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It works!


Author:
jo pattyn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Mar 19 2005, 12:40:12 GMT

dear jo and tori,i'm almost scared now to touch the muglin scene.Had already difficult time myself explaining my friend my mood while reading this masterpiece and I'm still still talking socialism with Doyler end Mac in thr Pavillion.What a find,this book!!!Quite accidentally as it happens in a local bookshop in my hometown Antwerp,Belgium.I will not have a quick look again on this site till after I finished it.Which will be in a couple of hours at the rate I'm hooked to it!Mr.Jamie O'Neil is the happiest surprise in my readers life since a very long time indeed.I'll be booking a plane for Dublin this summerFlemish greetings to you all!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]


Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:


Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.