VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Young readers

Author:
NG
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2005, 19:52:38 GMT
In reply to: Frankie 's message, "Young readers" on Tue, Aug 16 2005, 21:00:58 GMT

Hi, Frankie.

Not the person you were thinking you'd hear from probably, but I wouldn't knock the Battle of the Boyne and the Famine-- both great, though tragic, periods of history. That's one thing one has to remember about the field: you're studying how people lived, and unfortunately, the most academically interesting areas are often the most tragic. You're right about the Rising, though. I had heard about it, but never really known what happened. Reading Jamie's novel pushed me to look into it more, so I started a history of the Rising I picked up in Scotland a couple of weeks ago (after a second reading of ASTB). Some time soon, I should head over to Dublin to do the Rising tour and take a look at the south shore, around Dun Laoghaire (Kingstown in the book).

About what you said about feeling "pathetic" without a boyfriend, don't. I realise it's probably easier said than done, but having a relationship for the sake of having one isn't really a good idea, whether you're gay, straight, or somewhere in between. As for coming out to your friends and classmates, you'll figure out when the time is right.

Good luck, and take care of yourself. 8-) And congratulations on the school award.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Young readers

Author:
Jamie O'Neill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Aug 19 2005, 4:01:55 GMT

Dear Frankie, it's such wonderful irony that you should have got At Swim with book tokens for being best-at-class at Religious Studies. Well done. I remember Religious Studies at my school. It was a time for dozing between 12 and 12.30 -- until some young Brother came in (yes, I went to Presentation College in Glasthule, same like Jim in the book) and he more or less turned it into a civics lesson, with questions fired out all ways. The upshot was, no more dozing, till the young Brother himself was fired away, and we were sleepily back to normal.

I guess I get emails from readers of all ages, but of course I would only know the age if I was told. A particularly memorable email came back in 2002, just after At Swim was published, from a 16 year old in Ireland. Well, two years later he was in Trinity College Dublin (the same university Oscar Wilde attended), he had joined the GaySoc there and didn't he have the audacity to invite me to come and read to them. That's growing up for you, too fast. But I had a great evening there with Senator Norris (our famous humanitarian politician -- well famous for us), and it was a pleasure to think there was already a history with the reading of At Swim. A pleasure and a priviledge.

You mention some personal stuff, and I'm not to be giving advice to people, but there was a wonderful French film about a boy falling in love with another boy (I forget its name, I'm sorry) -- but what struck me was that he didn't tell anybody anything until he had fallen in love. So that when he came to tell people (family and friends) he didn't say I'm gay, or I think I'm gay, or whatever -- he just said, This is my boyfriend, and I love him. Aesthetically that was nice; but practically it meant all the attention was focussed on the new person, and the boy had space to watch and witness. The onus of explanation was not solely on himself.

Uncle Jamie is taking his Uncle Jamie's hat off now, and he's just going to say that in Ireland Irish lessons mean Irish (that is Gaelic -- but we rarely use that word here.) English means Shakespeare and Dickens, the same as in England, but without the Bible.

Oh, and Jim and Doyler are still out there, you know. It's sometimes hard to find them in this modern world, but the heart I doubt has changed in a hundred years. Courage hasn't changed, the longing for nobility, for pride, is the same. They're out there still, Jim and Doyler. It's hard to see them for the mobile phones and walkmans, MTV and the web. But they're there, on sportsfields, in music class, feeling their unsure way, falling in love, at swim.

Jamie.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Young readers

Author:
Jon Heaney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2005, 0:45:57 GMT

>Dear Frankie, it's such wonderful irony that you
>should have got At Swim with book tokens for being
>best-at-class at Religious Studies. Well done. I
>remember Religious Studies at my school. It was a time
>for dozing between 12 and 12.30 -- until some young
>Brother came in (yes, I went to Presentation College
>in Glasthule, same like Jim in the book) and he more
>or less turned it into a civics lesson, with questions
>fired out all ways. The upshot was, no more dozing,
>till the young Brother himself was fired away, and we
>were sleepily back to normal.
>
>I guess I get emails from readers of all ages, but of
>course I would only know the age if I was told. A
>particularly memorable email came back in 2002, just
>after At Swim was published, from a 16 year old in
>Ireland. Well, two years later he was in Trinity
>College Dublin (the same university Oscar Wilde
>attended), he had joined the GaySoc there and didn't
>he have the audacity to invite me to come and read to
>them. That's growing up for you, too fast. But I had a
>great evening there with Senator Norris (our famous
>humanitarian politician -- well famous for us), and it
>was a pleasure to think there was already a history
>with the reading of At Swim. A pleasure and a
>priviledge.
>
>You mention some personal stuff, and I'm not to be
>giving advice to people, but there was a wonderful
>French film about a boy falling in love with another
>boy (I forget its name, I'm sorry) -- but what struck
>me was that he didn't tell anybody anything until he
>had fallen in love. So that when he came to tell
>people (family and friends) he didn't say I'm gay, or
>I think I'm gay, or whatever -- he just said, This is
>my boyfriend, and I love him. Aesthetically that was
>nice; but practically it meant all the attention was
>focussed on the new person, and the boy had space to
>watch and witness. The onus of explanation was not
>solely on himself.
>
>Uncle Jamie is taking his Uncle Jamie's hat off now,
>and he's just going to say that in Ireland Irish
>lessons mean Irish (that is Gaelic -- but we rarely
>use that word here.) English means Shakespeare and
>Dickens, the same as in England, but without the Bible.
>
>Oh, and Jim and Doyler are still out there, you know.
>It's sometimes hard to find them in this modern world,
>Dear Frankie, Just read your note, and Jamie's wonderful reply. Let me assure There are still Doylers and Jims out there. Rememeber to hang on to your values, and your beliefs that one day you too will travel in the midst of such great individuals. The one wonderful thing about our society today is we no longer have to hide our sexuality as they did in 1916.
I speak as a 58 yr old guy, who has been in a wonderful relationship for 24 years with my own Jim/Doyler romantic, and giving in every way. We have since reading ASTB refer to one another as "Pal of me Heart"It is truly one of the most loving books I have read. So hang in there Frankie,and keep the good thought.You too will meet your Doyler

[> [> Subject: Re: Young readers

Author:
Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thu, Feb 23 2006, 22:04:59 GMT

But they're there, on
>sportsfields, in music class, feeling their unsure
>way, falling in love, at swim.
>
>Jamie.

That line just made me so happy! Thank you!

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.