VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: No More Magic?

Author:
Jo
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue, May 25 2004, 3:41:12 GMT
In reply to: Jamie O'Neill 's message, "Re: It works!" on Sat, May 22 2004, 21:26:31 GMT

> The more I
>read JKR the more I'm convinced the end of the series
>will mark the end of magic.

I am the most unobservant reader ever. I don't pick up hints. Foreshadowing is lost on me unless you BEAT me over the head with it. Hell, I didn't see that Doyler was going to die! I didn't know that Sirius was the dog. I don't pick up on things like that. Now, I know you are a much more careful and insightful reader than I am. I have to ask why you think that will happen.

And just for the record, if I could pick one magic skill, I would want to Apparate. oh, to not have to drive or sit on a plane... that, my dear, would be a lot like heaven.

Love and Fishes,
Jo

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: Re: No More Magic?

Author:
Jamie O'Neill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Jun 12 2004, 7:45:29 GMT

Jo, how are you, and sorry I haven't replied to you -- and after your lovely email as well.

The end of magic? Well, think about it. Harry will be turning eighteen when the series finishes. Becoming an adult, entering into that truly magical world, often shortened to the term "reality". Okay, that's the Freudian bit done.

But think about the magical world as portrayed in the books. Can it be said to deserve to survive? Is it any way a better world than our own sub-lunar mundanity? At least in aspiration we hope for equality, fair-play, justice. Can that, even in aspiration, be said of the magical world as portrayed in Harry Potter?

Ron Weasley is a nice boy. He wouldn't want to harm anyone, or subject anyone or any (near-human) being to harm. Yet he quite blithely accepts the enslavement of house-elfs.

The magical world would appear to be a democracy -- in that wizards and witches have elected their representatives in the Ministry of Magic. Would these representatives inspire confidence in any right-thinking person (be he or she magical or muggle)? The official (and therefore democratic and popular) laws and prejudices against near-humans point to a fascistic outlook amongst the majority of non-muggle voters ...

I predict that what will happen in the last book is that Harry will confront Voldemart -- and he will know finally that his only chance of defeating him is to resort to something long-time hidden in the Dept of Mysteries: by breaking this "thing" he will break Voldemart's power -- and the powers of all magical creatures, as well (including, of course, his own). The ultimate sacrifice ... And the (freudian) coming of age.

Discuss. (not really)

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.