VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: At Swim playlist

Author:
Tom
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu, Feb 23 2006, 22:32:32 GMT

I also just read a post about a song that reminded a reader (sorry I can't find the author of the post now of the book. I just downloaded the track, and I made a playlist on iTunes for when I was reading the book.
You've got to match the music with the story, you know? Makes it so much more powerful. Of course now I hear the song and it makes me want to cry with how much it's tied up with the story.

Here's the songs on it:
Coldplay - Swallowed In The Sea ("you belong with me / not swallowed in the sea" - reminds me of the dream at the end)
Coldplay - Kingdom Come (the lyrics seem to echo the idea of Jim following Doyler, after he's died, to wherever he is)
Damien Rice - Cold Water
Damien Rice - Eskimo (for the theme of frienship and the singing)
David Gray - The One I Love (a lovely, upbeat love song)
David Gray - Slow Motion
David Gray - From Here You Can Almost See The Sea
David Gray - If Your Love Is Real (the lyrics - "Spent a long time now persuadiing myself
That I donít need no one
Nobody else
That Iíd felt all there was to feel
I know if I should live one hundred years
Iíd never see another face like yours
On stranger seas or brighter shores
ícause I know
That my love is real")
David Gray - This Year's Love (I loved the year's time scale - but am I correct in this? The time scale confused me. I think it happened over a year, starting in early spring and ending obviously at easter? Aside from that it's a beautiful song)
David Gray - Nightblindess
The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want (just because of the longing in the voice...)
Colin Hay - I Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You ("Your face it dances and it haunts me
Your laughter's still ringing in my ears
I still find pieces of your presence here
Even after all these years")
Howie Day - Perfect Time Of Day
Ian Broudie - Whenever I Do ("I held you tight
Tight in these arms
Dear then you said goodbye
Now you're not here")

Sorry if those songs are considered 'dull' or not to everyone's tastes... they're just the ones that seemed to sum up for me the sadness imbued in much of the writing, or the melancholy tone of the setting, the weather, and the circumstances.

Anyone else have a song they listened to or associated with reading the book?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: At Swim playlist

Author:
Nathaniel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 24 2006, 5:23:00 GMT

A couple of songs by Loreena McKennitt give the perfect feel of the novel.

The Old Ways - Powerful and epic is the best way to describe this song. It perfectly fits Jim's dreams.

Dante's Prayer - This song is mournful and a melancholy, but beautiful all the way through. When Jim drifts away, I hear the end of this song rising in the back of my mind.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: At Swim playlist

Author:
Dan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Feb 25 2006, 1:48:02 GMT

>Anyone else have a song they listened to or associated
>with reading the book?

Hi

Depeche Mode "Precious Things" is a song I really associate with the book - it's not really to do with the lyrics (although some are quite fitting), more just the whole feel of the song seemed to match my mood when I was reading the book.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.