VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: The ending takes time to accept

Author:
Niko
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri, Nov 10 2006, 23:02:26 GMT

Hi. To all those who are depressed by the ending, as I was for days and days, and then some more, let me illuminate some stuff which you may or may not have realized. After reading the book again and reading some of Jamie O'Neil's comments on this forum, I realize that at the end of the book the two boys meet again. After Doyler's death, Jim goes on to be a soldier who is often visited by Doyler in his dreams, but at the end of his dreams Doyler walks away, just as Jim's brother did earlier in the novel. When at the end of the book Jim "lay broken and fevered" and eventually died in MacEmm's arms, he sees Doyler once more, and this time Doyler doesn't walk away. To me, this means that Jim and Doyler meet in the afterlife, and Doyler's "What cheer, eh?" is a new beginning for these lovers. I believe that true love can survive even death, and that all parted lovers, if they love enough, will meet in the afterlife. Love is the strongest force, and if you believe in it enough, it can survive anything. That's what I believe anyway.

For me, I see Jim and Doyler living in the afterlife in a nice little cabin on an island somewhere where they can swim when they want to, and make love all day if they want to, and Jim can finally feel the warmth of Doyler as he holds him in the candlight without the fear of others ruining their love. And MacEmm will visit them too, one day.

Once again, and many more too, thank you Jamie for such a beautiful story of beautiful boys at swim and at love.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: The ending takes time to accept

Author:
Gino
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sun, Nov 12 2006, 13:05:48 GMT

Thank you Niko, never thought about it that way really, maybe because I not really believe in an afterlife, but as this is a story, why not?!
What cheer indeed!

I have started to read the book in my own language now, just the first pages yet, not knowing if I dare to go on to the point I can not stop myself reading it again.I hope I find enough courage one of these days.

Nice to know there is still some souls around here ;-)

All the best

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: The ending takes time to accept

Author:
E.C.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Nov 25 2006, 18:51:35 GMT

I guess I should re-read the ending. I wasn't even aware Jim died! Doyler yes...but Jim? Hmmmm

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.