VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: I just have to join this debate....

Author:
Mary Salome
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Mon, Jul 23 2007, 22:06:28 GMT
In reply to: Daniel 's message, "I just have to join this debate...." on Wed, Jul 04 2007, 0:19:10 GMT

I feel you, I was sad, too. I still pick the book up every couple of weeks to "dip in" and some day will read it through again.

You know, I think militancy is the refuge of the young and poor -- what alternatives did Doyler have? Time might have tempered his approach, but it seems to me he was doing the best he could to find a way out of his situation and maintain a sense of dignity. You can see that he didn't always feel great about it, in his inner struggle where he leaves his post to return to Jim, and his happiness when the uprising is delayed and he can swim to the Muglins.

I agree about Doyler's spirits; I was also impressed by that, his ability to have a sense of humor, to try to turn things around when his bitterness started to take over.

Doyler was abandoned by many people; I'm not convinced that the author was one of them, though I go back and forth. Given the era, what would Jim and Doyler's long term romance have looked like, realistically? I want a happy ending too, but I respect that there's something realistic about the ending.

I completely understand what you're saying about the impact of the book and present these thoughts not as argument, but as a way of staying engaged in the story, and responding to your thoughts.

best,
Mary

>After 4 years standing in my bookshelf collecting
>dust, I finally picked out this book in April, and my
>oh my do I regret it!
>Cause any gay themed book I give a chance after this
>(or any love story actually) will be a dissapointment
>in comparison.
>2 days now since I finished, I am still haunted by Jim
>and Doyler, and especially Doyler. His life was so
>unfortunate, and far too short. And yet he had such
>high spirits. I am a bit angry at him though, for
>being so militant, and leaving Jim just when Jim had
>started to return the admiration. I am also a bit
>angry at Mr. O`Neill for denying the two boys to be
>adults together.
>
>I have to keep saying to myself "it is just fiction!",
>but my heart does not follow. Jim and Doyler will be
>there for the rest of my life I think.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.