VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Tommy (Scent of sea)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2007, 12:26:58 GMT
In reply to: TREVOR FEVIN 's message, "The Soundtrack" on Mon, Jun 18 2007, 22:24:07 GMT

Bah, Enya is so... boring and simplistic. (Oh, dear my soundtrack obsession *blush*) This marvelous book needs a wondeful, complex and breathtaking soundtrack composed by a big name like James Newton Howard ('Snow Falling on Cedars' to quote another superb book that has been made into a film) or perhaps John Williams ('Angela's Ashes'-soundtrack, to remain in Irish territory).
Throw in some voices from the London Oratory School and order the London Symphonic Orchestra (or the Irish National). Add some traditional Irish tunes, some religious crap (with kinky Latin lyrics about how God shall smite the wicked) and lovely fiddles, solo cello and violin, piano and some whistles, backed up by a grand orchestra and everything will be first class.

*dreams on*

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Tom (Quoting Cicero and Polybius)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thu, Oct 18 2007, 10:53:46 GMT

Thinking about the soundtrack, I should have pretty good clue how it should be constructed.

I guess basically you have three major themes representing the three main characters. First of all there is Jim's Theme performed by strings and piano with a solo fiddle as lead. A little triole should do perfect for Jim's winking. Secondly you have Doyler's theme, a bit more Irish than Jim's theme with the flute as prominent instrument. Jim's and Doyler's theme should be coherent as the characters meet each other the music should intertwine too. Last there is MacMurrough's theme, a bit darker and more gloomy theme with soft woodwinds and celli. Towards the end of the soundtrack, the three themes should be presented in their full form. Jim gets a solo soprano boy that chants Latin, Doyler gets a more mature mezzosoprano that sings in Gaelic.

The secundary themes are those for Mr. Mack/Doyle and Eva MacMurrough. Mack's theme is a blunt one, presented with a lot of brass and some percussion. Eva's theme is a bit more tricky. I think she would do perfect with a solo violin, with a lot of staccatos when she's in 'battle mode' ^_^ and more long, melodic passages when Casement or her childhood is shown. Perhaps some light chorus must be added too.

The sea (Jim), the weather (the rain/Doyker) and Scrotes (MacEmm) should have a variation on the main themes. The sea should feature refined choir, the weather gets a thin whistle treatment and Scrotes get some low latin chants, presumingly by male vocalists and is doomed to be written in mineur. Dublin should get its own theme too, but less prominent.

Some key passages:

"Towards Ballygihen House": Brass, violins and a sunny melody, very spacious!

"Jim seduces the soldier": duet between violin and cello, backed up by piano and orchestra.

"Crossing to the Muglins": a duduk and violin meander the main melody played by piano.

"Hotel under siege": choral version of the Dublin Theme. The dead boy should get a variation on Jim or Doyler's theme.

"Jim seduced MacEmm": MacMurrough's theme and Jim's theme are mixed together with small and fragile boy soprano singing.

"Doyler rescues Jim": Big choral piece, latin lyrics (perhaps from Dante or a lacrimosa) and some percussion. A final bang when Doyler's body is ripped apart by bullets.

"Jim's goodbye": strings here, subdued, sad and heartbreaking.

"After life": the end of the soundtrack: starts with piano and violin, very softly and mystic with a solo for a Gaelic-singing soprano. (Very Thomas-Newmanesque!) Reprise from intertwined Jim's and MacMurrough's theme when Jim lies broken in MacEmm's arms. Finale with full wordless chorus when the boys finally meet again.

To conclude a couple of playful additions: hop-figure that corresponds with Doyler's tripping leg, an English horn that features in a variation on Jim's theme for Gordie and a trumpet for "The death of Mr. Doyle".

I can picture it now! I can hear it. Man, I would like to have a soundtrack! ^_^

As ending title: well, if you really want Enya, fine, use her, but I would go for Eimear Quinn. Delightful :)

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Jamie O'Neill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Mar 04 2008, 22:35:51 GMT

I tell you one thing, Tom -- you tell a wonderful score. It's the dance of this I really want to see, and hear, of course.

Just to keep you informed who are interested in a film version: the guy who bought the option for At Swim is busy with other projects at the moment. It seems it will be some time before he gets down to working on At Swim. Jamie.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Porter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Mar 08 2008, 7:20:47 GMT

That's a shame, obviously that guy does not have his priorities right. I'm really looking forward to seeing the film version of At Swim. Is any of you other work on film?

>I tell you one thing, Tom -- you tell a wonderful
>score. It's the dance of this I really want to see,
>and hear, of course.
>
>Just to keep you informed who are interested in a film
>version: the guy who bought the option for At Swim is
>busy with other projects at the moment. It seems it
>will be some time before he gets down to working on At
>Swim. Jamie.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Tom ((busy researching the democracy in Ancient Rome))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:45:37 GMT

One day I'll jot down all the ideas in my head and make an "At Swim, Two Boys" suite for orchestra. :D

At the moment, I just have my temp track CD to accompany the many readings of the book. (Every good director will tell you that a good temp score is the first step towards a finished product, lol.)

The cd contains portions of:

- Carter Burwell's score for "Rob Roy" (with Miriam Stockley's and Karen Matheson's beautiful vocals)
- Two pieces for violin, piano and cello by Secret Garden from the album "Once in a Red Moon"
- Antonio Pinto's strange and haunting score for "Lord of War"
- the choral pieces from Plunkett and Macleane by Craig Armstrong (a classic in film score history)
- Some Japanese score including Yoko Kanno (Brainpowerd, Hajime Mizoguchi (Jin-Roh; a marvelous and gripping string piece) and some more Japanese composers no one ever heard of :D
- Patrick Doyle's music from "Pars Vite et Reviens Tard"
- Loreena McKennitt's "Dante's Prayers"
- Music from "The Good Shepherd" by Bruce Fowler
- A subtle love theme by James Newton Howard (French Kiss)
- The last 5 minutes of Horner's Titanic Suite (bizar, I know, call it guilty pleasure)
- Nigel Kennedy's Violin Rendition of the traditional piece "Danny Boy".

Running over 150 minutes, it's my all time favourite compilation; including Irish airs and Romantic tunes and hints of drama.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Jamie O'Neill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sun, Jul 06 2008, 22:02:47 GMT

Hey Tom, that's a cd I'd like to listen to. Jamie.

>One day I'll jot down all the ideas in my head and
>make an "At Swim, Two Boys" suite for orchestra. :D
>
>At the moment, I just have my temp track CD to
>accompany the many readings of the book. (Every good
>director will tell you that a good temp score is the
>first step towards a finished product, lol.)
>
>The cd contains portions of:
>
>- Carter Burwell's score for "Rob Roy" (with Miriam
>Stockley's and Karen Matheson's beautiful vocals)
>- Two pieces for violin, piano and cello by Secret
>Garden from the album "Once in a Red Moon"
>- Antonio Pinto's strange and haunting score for "Lord
>of War"
>- the choral pieces from Plunkett and Macleane by
>Craig Armstrong (a classic in film score history)
>- Some Japanese score including Yoko Kanno
>(Brainpowerd, Hajime Mizoguchi (Jin-Roh; a marvelous
>and gripping string piece) and some more Japanese
>composers no one ever heard of :D
>- Patrick Doyle's music from "Pars Vite et Reviens
>Tard"
>- Loreena McKennitt's "Dante's Prayers"
>- Music from "The Good Shepherd" by Bruce Fowler
>- A subtle love theme by James Newton Howard (French
>Kiss)
>- The last 5 minutes of Horner's Titanic Suite (bizar,
>I know, call it guilty pleasure)
>- Nigel Kennedy's Violin Rendition of the traditional
>piece "Danny Boy".
>
>Running over 150 minutes, it's my all time favourite
>compilation; including Irish airs and Romantic tunes
>and hints of drama.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: The Soundtrack

Author:
Tom ((finished his thesis/vacation at last))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sun, Jul 27 2008, 14:40:19 GMT

I'll send it when I find some spare time (in August)... (akward, vacation and no spare time *sigh*... oh well)

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.