VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Annotated version question

Author:
Eric
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sat, Apr 16 2011, 18:29:43 GMT
In reply to: Ernster 's message, "Annotated version question" on Sat, Apr 16 2011, 17:44:47 GMT

I'm always cheered by new entries on this site, suggesting that great literature continues, like Holy Wisdom, to seek out her friends.
I don't know about an officially annotated version, but would encourage you to write CESARE, a contributor to these observations (see below), who has a deep and firm hold on much of what runs under the surface here. I have just reread ASTB, and while I loved it all over again, noticed how many grace notes and allusions still elude me--but I am game to offer an opinion here or there.

>I've read ATSB twice and will surely read it again.
>It remains the closest to my heart of anything I have
>read. I saw a post about an annotated version in the
>works. If anyone has info on that could you please
>post it? I'll be looking here and elsewhere.
>
>I find I can't explain to others what this book means
>to me. It is very personal, apparently.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Annotated version question

Author:
Cesare
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Apr 16 2011, 20:09:05 GMT

I'm extremely glad to find your entry on this mostly silent forum.
Yes, an annotated version of AS,TB does exist somewhere. Mr O'Neill, in kindly answering a message of mine in which I pointed out a probable misprint, wrote (30-5-2010): "Thanks for pointing this out, Cesare. There's a guy doing an annotated version of AS,TB - I'll point him to this entry."
In a second message I asked to know something more about it, but I've still received no answer.
Writing these lines is a way for me to celebrate two events: 1. after eight months of work, I've finished the first draft of my own translation in Italian of the novel; the 2003 translation is a shameful mess and luckily out of print. 2. the reward is an eight days stay in Dublin (from the 21st to the 29th of April) to visit the sites of the novel: I look forward to being in Glasthule, the Forty Foot, Adelaide Road, what remains of Ballygihen House, etc. Fortunately my hotel (not the Shelbourne, but the Fitzwilliam) looks on St Stephen's Green!
Working so much and for so long on AS,TB, I've collected many many notes (a few from the always kind and helpful Eric Linder) and, through the web and from books, more than 200 pictures of places and objects mentioned in the book. Books about the Easter Rising are many and some quite good. In Dublin, next week, I'll make the organized tour in the hope to learn more.
Feel free, please, to ask any question you want. I'm not as sure as Eric to have "a deep and firm hold on much of what runs under the surface", but to many of the difficulties I've faced I've found possible answers.
After living these last 14 months with and in the novel, I'm in love with it and its characters more than at my first reading, and even more convinced of its very high literary and moral quality.
I've tried to explain to myself what AS,TB means personally to me. It was hard and unfinished work. Imagine to explain it to someone else...
Sorry for this long and probably unhelpful message and thank you again for your entry.
Cesare

>I've read ATSB twice and will surely read it again.
>It remains the closest to my heart of anything I have
>read. I saw a post about an annotated version in the
>works. If anyone has info on that could you please
>post it? I'll be looking here and elsewhere.
>
>I find I can't explain to others what this book means
>to me. It is very personal, apparently.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.