VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

[ The Zak McKracken Archive]
The Zak McKracken Forum
Login ] [ Main index ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sunday, Mar 19
Author: Chris
Subject: Re: Translation of the Zak 256Color
In reply to: Skolarian Bosses 's message, "Translation of the Zak 256Color" on Sunday, Mar 19

>I have just got the 256 Color Version of Zak McKracken
>and I want to make an spanish translation, how can i
>change the text of the game?

I wish that I knew! Everything is hidden within 'LFL' files. It has never officially been released as open source, so it takes a lot of work to find out what is inside those files. Some people have been able to "rip" the files and see what is inside, but I don't think anyone has been able to recompile them to work in a different way.

You could try and contact the people who made SCUMM-VM, the program that plays old SUMM games like Zak. But I don't think they change the game files at all, they just read the LFL files without changing them.

Probably the easiest answer (and it is really not easy) is to do what LucasFans did. They created new versions of Maniac Mansion and Zak using Adventure Game Studio. The bad news is you would have to recreate every scene piece by piece, by looking at the old game and working out what it does. The good news is that, once you did all that, you could change it in any way you wanted, change the language, add new scenes, do anything. As long as you didn't annoy LucasArts too much!

But more important, does this mean the Mushroom Kingdom game is no longer being developed? Or you're doing both?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.