VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

[ The Zak McKracken Archive]
The Zak McKracken Forum
Login ] [ Main index ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sunday, Mar 06
Author: Chris
Subject: Re: Eyeballs in the Sky
In reply to: Marc Forrester 's message, "Eyeballs in the Sky" on Sunday, Mar 06

>Shame to see this entirely un-Zak related
>article/homage dead and gone. Is there still an
>archived copy of it anywhere?

Oh boy, it's a long story! Short answer: I have it on CD, but Maurice Dodd (writer of the Perishers) did not like the religious angle, so I took it down.

Here's the long version, with far more information than you ever wanted.

First of all, thanks for remembering the site! I was quite proud of it, even though it was full of spelling mistakes. This is how it all began.

Many years ago I had a collection of Perishers books. I loved the detailed backgrounds in the strip, so I used them to create a map of the Perishers' world, and sent it Daily Mirror. The writer, Maurice Dodd, loved it, and he phoned me up and sent me a free Perishers' original which hung on my wall for many years. That was, as I said, many years ago.

Fast forward to 2002, and my personal life was turning upside down. I had been raised in a fundamentalist church, and I was heavily involved in that church. (I spent two years as a missionary, I was lay minister for my local congregation, I published a book about my church, etc., etc.) But by my mid thirties, after intensive study and a lot of pondering, I came to the conclusion that my church was not true. I felt betrayed. I retreated from church-related activities, and spent more time on my other interests - politics, comics, etc. So I made the Zak McKracken site. At this time I noticed that there was nothing on the web about the Eyeballs In The Sky. Having just become disillusioned with fundamentalist religion, I found the crazy crabs described my position perfectly. So I made the web site with a religious angle.

I thought I was being sympathetic to religion - remember that the crabs have GENUINE paranormal experiences. There really are eyeballs in the sky, belonging to a superior intelligence! But I also showed how the crabs religion showed all the confusion and greed you would expect from humans (or crabs). Well, that was my site. I emailed Maurice Dodd about it. And I got a reply. He hated it. I forget his exact words, but I think his faith is important to him, and I seemed to be mocking it.

As I said earlier, my life was turning upside down at the time, and I had already lost a lot of my old friends through rejecting their faith. So when Maurice Dodd didn't like my ideas either, I lost all enthusiasm for the site and the Perishers in general. I emailed him back and apologized profusely, and promised to take the site down and never put it up again.

Well that's the story. If you want I can email you the site (without the offending text).

I still think the early Perishers strips were brilliant, but speaking personally, the magic went out of it for me with that email. I left it another year or two and the magic didn't return, so I sold my Perishers original last month. Next month I will probably sell my collection of books on eBay (I have 25 of the first 30 books).

And that, gentle reader, is why Zak now has the site to himself.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.