VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:15:31 01/23/05 Sun
Author: JAVED
Subject: REGISTRATION OF DOMESTIC SERVANTS IN KARACHI

By Javed - September 2003

Recently Karachi Police high ups have emphasised people to get their domestic servants registered with the police.

Early 60s new middle class localities in Karachi like Federal B Area, Gulshan-e-Iqbal etc started surfacing randomly here and there. With this came on first of every month a Pathan brother knocking at door saying “I am street Chowkidar”. Though those were peaceful days which now we can only dream of yet people paid Rs. 2/- each month to this knocking Chowkidar. Every year or two on first of a month a new face knocked at your door. When asked where was the man who came last month the reply came “he was my brother and gone to Mulak”. But the old face never ever returned again from Mulak. With passage of time this fee kept on increasing from Rs. 2/- to present Rs. 20/- a house. One chowkidar covers more than 300/500 houses which practically he can not watch. From where this man comes, what is his name, where he lives day time, who appointed him, where can he be contacted at day time no resident of area ever knows.

Since very early 80s I had been addressing different levels namely each every new governor, every new chief minister, every new concerned Minister, MNA, MPA, commissioner etc but never ever got even a single reply. I also approached the Sindh Ombudsman from where came a reply exact text of which is not remembered now but it was something under no law police can be asked to register these chowkidars. I could not stop thinking there was no law in 80s requiring landlords to register their tenants with the area police yet in Punjab Police in the interest of the community did it. So why cannot Sindh Police do in case of Chowkidars? In fact knowing well registering these illiterate chowkidars with Police means putting them into problem I had always suggested that some system be evolved where these chowkidars be registered with say area elders, area Mosque, area councilor etc. I addressed many many time newspapers of repute like DAWN, The News, Jang, Muslim, Nawai-e-Waqt etc but they could not afford any space for this stupid topic. Then disappointed I left trying after mid 90s.

Now on taking over city local administration last year by Jamat-e-Islamic and feeling Jamat people are reputed for community service I addressed with four by name reminders Honourable Chief Nazim Karachi but never ever got any response.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.