VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:59:30 12/18/11 Sun
Author: Amy
Subject: New Friesian Owner, question about feeding a pregnant mare

Hello All,

I purchased my first Friesian a couple weeks ago - a beautiful mare who is in foal to Fridse 423, due in late April. I LOVE my mare and am very excited about her coming foal as Fridse is almost my ideal dream horse. I have been breeding Egyptian Arabians for almost 34 years now, but as many others have always dreamed of owning a Freisian. I have not been disappointed, my mare is everything a Friesian should be - kind, noble, a wonderful ride and just a total sweetheart.

I have been reading and trying to learn as much as possible about the proper care of Friesians. I feed my Arabians Strategy Healthy Edge and have been very pleased with it. They are also all given MSM, Cocosoya oil, my special herb mix and an omega 3 supplement. I feed a grass mix hay and alfalfa cubes. Will this be a sufficient diet for my mare after she foals? I have read Friesians do not require alot of grain and do much better with a diet of mostly hay.

My main question is feeding her during the last few months of her pregnancy. When my Arabians have been expecting I feed normal (Purina Strategy Healthy Edge) through month 6 and add Platium Performance. Starting month 7 I move them onto Omelene 200 and change their hay to straight Orchard Grass. Month 8 I move them to Omelene 300 and increase their oil. The last 6 weeks I move them onto Purina Ultium Growth and add Alfalfa hay along with the Orchard Grass and start the mare on Raspberry leaves and a fenugreek/fennel mix. I leave mare and foal on the Ultium Growth and Alfalfa/Orchard until the foal is 3 months as which time I start weaning the mare back to Omelene 300, 200 and back to Strategy Health Edge by weaning at 6 months. I leave the foal on the Ultium Growth Alfalfa mix hay until 2 years. I have read that many Frieisans do not tolerate Alfalfa well, has anyone had experiance with this?

I have also ridden my mares usually until their last month of pregnancy, some a little later depending on their comfort level. Nothing strenous just nice long walks. I have read that Freisians do not have the recovery of Arabians is it safe to continue riding my mare as her pregnancy advances(as long as we aren't doing anything more than nice walks)?

Thank you all - I look forward to spending more time learning from my peers.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.