VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:52:47 04/03/12 Tue
Author: Kat
Subject: Should I buy this Friesian gelding?/What to look for when considering purchasing a Friesian

Hello,

I am new to the Friesian breed, but I've always admired them. Even when I was little, I thought their movements were beautiful. Now, as an adult, I finally have the chance to purchase a Friesian not far from where I live. But I'm inexperienced when it comes to Friesians- what should I look for? I would like to get in to dressage, and moving to a city has finally given me the opportunity to get lessons from a reputable facility. The Friesian I found is advertised as being experienced in dressage, and he is a beautiful horse. But looks definitely aren't everything (as I've learned over the years!).

The Friesian in question is 16 years old, a gelding, and they want $8500 for him. The owner claims that they buy horses according to "looks and uniqueness", which makes me a little nervous. As I said before, I don't go on looks when purchasing a horse. Tempermant, level of training, and health mean more to me than anything else. Also, I'm concerned that this owner has not ridden/used this horse in quite a while (I get the feeling that this horse is their "show off" piece; which is fine, but I want to make sure he's been ridden!). My question is this: Is $8500 too much for a 16 y.o. Friesian gelding? Also, does anyone know the average age of death for Friesians? I'm worried that I would only get a few years with this horse. As I get pretty attached to my horses, I'd like to keep him around longer than a few years.

Any advice or comments are welcome! Thank you!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.