VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:13:34 08/09/12 Thu
Author: Amy
Subject: Gelding
In reply to: Kat 's message, "Should I buy this Friesian gelding?/What to look for when considering purchasing a Friesian" on 21:52:47 04/03/12 Tue

Schedule and appointment to go see him and ride him. Talk to the instructor/trainer at the farm you are taking lessons. They will know your skill level and will be better able to evaluate how much the horse knows and if it would be a safe and good match. See if the seller would be willing to do a 1 month lease before purchase. That would give you a chance to work with him more and get to know his stable manners. It will allow your trainer to spend more time with him as well. You will be able to see how he handles new/different situations and make sure he is as he was presented. Sadly there are unethical sellers out there who will drug a horse to ensure a well behaved horse. And most important, before you buy him have your vet or a 3rd part vet do a soundness exam on him. Never use the seller's vet for this. If possible I also recommend having him Xrayed. This will tell you more about what is going on with his joints and general health. One can never predict the future with horses, he could live till 30 or later or he could colic tomorrow. I think 16 is a great age for a first horse, they are usually old enough to be over the young & dumb stage,far enough in their trainer to also be good teachers and young enough to have many great years together.

Best of luck and let us know!
Amy

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.